Search for content in message boards

Roland and Nancy Hughes

Roland and Nancy Hughes

Dorothy (View posts)
Posted: 13 Nov 2001 2:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Miles, Beaver,
I am searching for the family who raised my great grandfather Samuel P. Miles from 1855 until the early 1870s. Their names were Roland (or Rowland) and Nancy Hughes of Monticello. I would like to know if there was a family relationship to Samuel whose parents were Isaac and Susan (Beaver) Miles. I also understand that there is some information about Roland Hughes in the White County history book. As I do not have access to that book, could someone share what was said? My great grandfather went by the name Samuel Hughes when he was a schoolboy.

Re: Roland and Nancy Hughes

Diane McInnes (View posts)
Posted: 27 Nov 2001 7:41AM GMT
I have a copy of the 1883 History book of White County (by Battey), and there is no biography of Roland Hughes in that book. There is a mention of him in bios involving two of his daughters' spouses (Nancy Jane who had married J.H. McCollum; Mary who had married Peter R. Failing, and in the census entries that also state that he was a dry goods merchant. There is no mention of any Miles or any Beaver in that history book, either. There is also a 1915 History book of White Co, by Hamelle - perhaps that has a biography of Roland?

I checked the Master Index of White County Cemeteries, and did not find Isaac or Susan Miles listed as being buried in cemeteries listed for White County; Roland and Nancy are buried in Old Monticello/Rowland Hughes/St. Mary's Cemetery.

If you do not have the census entries for Roland and Nancy (Imes or Ives is perhaps her surname) Hughes, please contact me directly and I will send the info directly to you.

I don't know anything about Samuel Miles/Hughes - only that he is in their household in 1860 census as a 9-yr old.

Diane

lynne (View posts)
Posted: 19 Dec 2001 5:20AM GMT
Surnames: rowland and nancy hughes
i am related to the above hughes family.if you check the LDS or Mormon church site you will find quite a bit of info on the family of ROWLAND(ROBIN)HUGHES.most of his generation were born in Westmoreland co,Pa. as were earlier generations.perhaps your samuel miles came from pa. also.there also is a HUGHES cementary located in buffalo,liberty twp,white co,indiana where many of the Hughes family are buried.hope this will help.

Dorothy (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jan 2002 7:51PM GMT
Surnames: Cvach, Petrik, Miles, Huisman, Beaver
Thanks!

Posted: 10 Jan 2002 4:37AM GMT
Edited: 18 Aug 2005 10:30PM GMT
Dorothy
I have the 1915 White county History book. Here is the information that is listed on Rowland Hughes. There are a couple of other small mentions in the book about his being a merchant. There is no Miles surname listed in the book.
A Standard History of White county Indiana , W. H. Hamelle, Volume 1, 1915 (reprint 1971)
page 199
Rowland Hughes of Monticello
In the meantime Monticello had made more substantial progress. New comers were welcomed and two years after the town was platted its future was so assured that Rowland Hughes opened a tavern. He was one of those sturdy Pennsylvanians, who did so much for the town, the township and the county, in the early days. He had been married to a Green County (ohio) girl, Nancy Imes, in 1833, two years later he moved to Lafayette, Indiana and in December 1835, entered land in section 27, just northeast of Monticello. In 1836 he opened his tavern at the county seat, established his dry good store in 1839 and until his death in May 1883, was one of the most prominent popular and respected men in the county. In its early history he served as a member of the Legislature, always taking an outspoken and active interest in public affiars. Mr. Hughes was also strong in his attachment to home and family and left a wife and four of their seven children.

page 270
The residences of Mrs. Van Voorst and Rowland Hughes, son of John C. Hughes and father of M. Allison Hughes, the postmaster were situated south of the village (Sitka).

Dorothy (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jan 2002 1:02AM GMT
Thank-you Norma. We still have not found a connection between the Hughes family and our Samuel, other than information that they took him when he was very little after his mother and father died. We were curious, wondering if there were family ties, but maybe there were church connections.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic