Search for content in message boards

Mary (Polly) Akeman married John Hoover

Mary (Polly) Akeman married John Hoover

Alene Roy (View posts)
Posted: 21 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: AKEMAN, HOOVER, WALTON, JACKSON
Searching info on gggg grandparents Mary (Polly) Akeman/John Hoover. She's born about 1793. Her father was John Akeman Sr. Her daughter Catherine Hoover married Andrew Heart/Hart Walton, Dec 23, 1841 Bath Co., VA

Re: Mary (Polly) Akeman married John Hoover

Posted: 30 Sep 2004 7:16PM GMT
My gggggrandfather George Ackman/Akeman was born in
Bath County, VA in the early 1790s and my gggggrandmother was also born in Bath County, VA. in 1793 here name was
Jane McMillin. You show Polly Akeman being born in Bath
County in 1793. Could they be brother and sister?? Only two
Akemans show up on the Census during this time and that being John Akeman Jr. and Sr. Is John Jr. the brother of George? Thanks, Ed

Posted: 11 Oct 2004 2:33PM GMT
I think that Polly Akeman was my gggggrandfathers sister.

Posted: 9 Mar 2005 12:14AM GMT
Surnames: Ackeman Family in BAth Co. Virginia
i am also an Akeman descendant and related to you but trying to figure out exactly how. My family is Phoebe Akeman, born 1804 in Bath Co. Va. and she married Jared Francis Williams. I see your George Akeman who married Jane McMillin on 8-23-1824 in Bath Co. Virginia. I do have a JOhn Akeman Jr. who married Mary Polly Millhollin also.. I am thinking that my Phoebe and your George are brother and sister. A George Akeman did sign the marraige bond for Phoebe and Jared in 1825 in Bath Co. Va. I think maybe Phoebe's father and George's is William Akeman born 1783 in Bath Co., Va. . But i do not have a wife's name for him.
And then by dates perhaps William's father was John Ackman/Eckman (later spelled as Akeman) and he is born 1755 in Frederick County, Maryland and came to Bath Co, Va. in 1800 and JOhn died in 1838.
I do have a George A. Ackeman who married Mary Ann Patton in Bath Co,. Va. on 11-22-1827. And also a Jacob Ackeman who married Patsy Watson on 12-13-1832 in Bath Co. Va. And a Polly Ackeman who married John Hoover on 6-9-1818 in BAth Co. Va. There is another Phebe Ackeman born 1809 in Bath Co. Va. but she married a Butler Stonestreet and then Butler also married Mary Williams who is a sister to my Jared Williams.
WEll just trying in some way to sort thru the Akemans from Bath Co. Va. and any help you may have will be great to have.
There is a Phebe Ackeman born 1778 who married a Richard Mays on 8-1-1799 in Bath Co. Va. but not sure who she is exactly either. The John Ackeman (Ackman/Eckman) from Maryland had a wife, Katherine ??.
Please be in touch to share family if you wish

Posted: 30 Apr 2005 2:31PM GMT
I am also confussed. Seems to me that John Akeman is the key figure in our ancestry. I also believe that George Akeman, of which the census shows two of them about the same age. Could be related and that Polly is a sister. However, I can not find any information to confirm that. Your information about a George Akeman signing on the marriage cert. is the best I have seen. My e-mail address is akeman99@aol.com however I must put your e-mail address in my address book before you can contact me. I grew up in Indpls Ind. Have two homes one in Joliet, IL and the other in Bradenton, FL. Will travel to Preble County, OH this summer to see if I can find the gravesite of Jane McMillan (Akeman/Aikman) That is the last place I can locate her. Thanks, Ed Akeman

Posted: 30 Apr 2009 5:06AM GMT
Surnames: Akeman Hoover Milhollin Milhollen
The will of Thomas Milhollin of Bath Co, Va., dated 21 Sept. 1818, probated Dec. 1818, mentions "Mary Akeman (now Mary Hoover)." Thomas Milhollin left his son William Milhollin $100 to be applied in schooling a son of Mary Akeman's (now Mary Hoover) which son Andrew was "said to be a child of my son Patrick," on condition of the mother's consent and the child being bound to son William. (Bruns, Abstracts of the Wills and Inventories of Bath County, Virginia, 1791–1842, 92.) If Andrew was bound to William Milhollin, this may help to explain the Milhollin connection in posts replying to yours. No surname is shown for the child Andrew.

Thomas Milhollin was the son of an older Patrick Milhollin who was in Loudoun Co., Va., from at least 1760 until his 1801 death. Thomas may have been born there; his brother Jonathan was born there. Thomas was probably in Bath Co. by 1801 because he seems to have not been living near his father then; if his son Patrick was associated with Mary Akeman, it was probably in Bath Co.

Posted: 24 Oct 2010 5:19PM GMT
Surnames: Ackeman/Eckman/Hoover/ WilliamsMcMillin
HI. I am hoping ewe can share some family history of Akeman's. My ggg grandfather is John Akeman Sr. I knew just a bit about your George Ackeman and Jane. George did have a brother John as well as a sister, mary/Polly Ackeman Hoover and my family is Phoebe Ackeman Williams, their sister. There is also a son, Jacob Akeman HOpe to be in touch. Marilyn

Posted: 19 Feb 2011 10:34PM GMT
I have recently been doing some research for a friend and came across an Akeman connection that I believe may be of interest to those researching this family in Bath County.
I will be happy to share what I have on this family.
Norman Price

Posted: 28 Apr 2013 2:05AM GMT
Surnames: Milhollen/milhollin
Re Thomas Milhollen/Milhollin will and provision for Andrew, son of Polly Akeman and Patrick Milhollen/Milhollin: I'm trying to trace information for another grandchild mentioned in Thomas Milhollen's will: John W. Milhollen/Milhollin, surviving son of Milhollin's daughter Esther, whom Thomas transferred wardship from himself to brother Patrick upon the event of Thomas' death. He may be the John W. Milhollin who settled in Grant County Indiana in the late 1820s-1830s and is ancestor of mine.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions