Search for content in message boards

Can anybody help me locate my step grandfathers family

Can anybody help me locate my step grandfathers family

Heather Cormier Simpson (View posts)
Posted: 22 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Temple, Sumrall, Hinton, Cormier, Cobb, Williams, Walters, Vice
I am posting this on here in hopes of locating the only man I knew as my grandfather,James Vardaman Temple. Nickname Buck or Buck-Buck. He was born in 1911 & died 1988. From what I am told his family is from Jones Co,MS. He owned a farm on the end of a road named after him,Buck Temple Rd(in Sharon,Jones Co,Laurel,MS).
His first wife's name was Mellie(unknown Maiden)who died in 1977. He then remarried to my maternal grandmother,Emma Jean Williams,Walters in April of 1982. Buck never had any children.
My grandmother does remember that Buck had a nephew,Charles (charlie)Temple who worked at the Laurel Ford Place. Charles also had a brother by the name of J.W. / J.W. married Betty Jean (unknown Maiden). Charles also had a sister(name unknown) who married Charlie WHite from Jones Co,MS.

If any of this looks familiar to you please email me! I know this isnt my blood relative,but he was the only one I ever knew as my grandfather. He was a very sweet and well known man in Laurel,Jones Co,Ms.
Thanks

ClarkeCoMS@egroups.com

Posted: 23 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 13 Jul 2002 4:50AM GMT

You are invited to join group in subject line..

We could be Kin thats for sure.

Heather Cormier Simpson (View posts)
Surnames: Sumrall, Williams, Walters, Temple, Blackledge, Cobb, Collins, Hinton
Yes I believe we are family its just a matter of finding the right link. I was born and raised in Jones Co,Laurel,MS for 13 yrs and Most of my family came from or around there.
Thanks for listing this website,I will check it out.
Keep in touch!
Heather Cormier SImpson (now live in NC)

Jones Co.,Ms

Surnames: WILLIAMS, MCKEE, GILDER, JONES, SUMRALL, SMITH, HORN, ELLIOTT, WINDHAM, HARPER, EZELL, QUIMBY, MCDANIEL, CLARK
Too many surnames that I am researching even if not actually belonging on my surname list! My McKee kin liked to marry & a lot of these names are who they wed with! at my page is a link to Ken SIMPSON'S pg who is also researching in Jones/Wayne/Clarke Co.,Ms. He has different surnames,too. If you aren't kin to him or I it's amazing! Mary Etta Williams m. Ike McKee & their son,Elbert Ray is my Mom's Dad..
http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com/~dhunta/index.html
Merry Xmas & Good Luck.....Dot
Posted: 27 Feb 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 12 Jun 2005 7:38PM GMT
Surnames: HINTON
Heather,Just want to know who are the Hintons that you are looking for? I have a lot of Hintons in my family and we might connect.Thanks,Dawn

Pictures of Jones co residents

Posted: 3 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 15 Nov 2001 2:03AM GMT
Surnames: Sumrall, Herrington, Prine, Freeman, Tucker, Williams, Walters, Johnson, anderson, Shows, Powell
I too lived in Jones Co most of my childhood live. Most all of my mothers family listed above and even some not mentioned lived most of their lives in Jones co. They started moving into that area in the late 1700's and for the most part most stayed. I'm probably distantly related to most that live there now. But I have contact with very few.
Presently the only reseach I'm doing is on photogapy. I'm looking for someone who may have pictures of my grandparents. I have had very little sucess so far cause no one seems interested enough and before long those pictures that remain that are idenifible will be gone forever.
Pictures have been around since the 1840's and they were very cheap. Most all my family were farmers. On my dads side of the house I have idenified pictures of 21 diffrent grandparents. The oldest of which was taken in Burnet, Tx in the late 1860's early 1870's.
On my mothers side I have idenfied pictures of only 6 diffrent grandparents of the many that I have from Jones and the surrounding counties.
Are you interested? Can you possibly help?
The pictures that I presently have on my mothers side are of BW b-1911 d-1971 and Mildred Herrington Sumrall B-1916 d-1996. John b-1888 d-1961 and Dolly Prine Sumrall B-1892 d-1967. James Hanse b-1870 d-1920's and Isabell Walters Prine b-1872 d-1953. All were born and died in Jones co.
I am more than happy to share these pictures with anyone interested.
The grandparents that I feel there must be pictures of somewhere are, James A b-1849 d-1922 and Charlotte (Lottie) Tucker Sumrall b-1848 d-1888. Jasper J b-1885 d-1929 and Emma Freeman Herrington b-1898 d-1973. Morgan b-1858 d-1920's and Flora Shows Herrington b-1862 d- 1920's. John W b-1849 d-1909 and Martha J Rainer Freeman b-1877 d-1917. Zedekiah b-1849 d-1895 and Margret Harwell Rainer b-1855 d-1935. Lewis B b-1824 d-1913 and Harriet Williams Tucker b-1831 d-1916. Mathew B b-1793 d-1878 and Elendor ? Tucker b-1804 d-1891. Darling b-1812 d-1887 and Martha a Walters Herrington b-1821 d-1896.
Most all the above were born and died in Jones co.
I am also happy to share with anyone what geneolgy info I have on all these families.
My Grandfather has a sister still living in NC.
If you can in anyway provide me anytype of info on this I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks, JD

Charlotte Lottie Tucker

Posted: 6 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 19 Oct 2001 1:31AM GMT
Surnames: Sumrall, bell
Was your Charlotte, married to Jessie Sumrall,Jessie married Myrtle bell after her Death.in Jones Co. Ms.
Posted: 7 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Tucker, Sumrall
Hi Mrs Dryer, My Charlotte (Lottie) married my Grandfather James (Jim) A Sumrall, in may 1870 most likely in Ellisville. they were both born in southern portion of Jones Co.
Jim was the Son of John Sumrall b 1820 in Ms and Nancey whose madian name I have failed to discover. Jim was buried in what I was told is Crowder cemtary. When I went there in 1973 it was all grown up and I only found abt 6 stones and a bunch of wooden crosses and high and low sticks. I never found a marker for Jim or Lottie.
Lottie was the daughter of Lewis Burton tucker and Harret Williams or Williamson. Lewis was born in Orange Co. SC and Harriet in Ms. They are both buried in the Ovett Cem. I feel very sure that there would be a photo of them somewhere around. They had 6 daughters and 3 sons. they were Authur, Charles s., Sarah A, Isabella A, Meranda, Drayton M, Mary J, and Dicey. Mary J married a albert Cooly in 1884, Drayton an Emaline, and Authur a Sarah. Ring any Bells?
Posted: 8 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Sumrall
Thanks for the info. I know that John Sumrall lived in Wayne Co or at least was listed in the 1848 Wayne Co census. John was born abt 1820 most probably in Wayne Co and was married to a Nancey. Madain name is still unknown. Their children were (my grandfather) James (Jim) A, B-1849 M-Charlotte (Lottie) Elenor Tucker in may 1870, Martha J B-1851, Elizabeth A, B-1854, John Bud B-1857, Margret A B-1859, and Henry B-1861.
John disappears aft the 1860 census and Nancey after the 1870 Census.
I belive but have no proof that John was killed in the civil war. My Aunt a long time ago that Jim had a brother that served but since then I've proved that to be impossible. Jim was much to young to have served. He was only 11 at the begining of the war so I think it was most lilely his father. Especially since he dissapears aft the 1860 cenus and their youngest child was born in 1861. It all adds up. Thanks again and keep your ears open for photos of all those mentioned previously. JD

Jones Co.,Ms-photos-Sumrall/Cooley

Posted: 8 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Folks interested in these 2 names, plus McKee & others,should join Bennie's list@ rootsweb.com (Clubs area?) a list for Clarke & other Ms.counties/Choctaw,Al & call Dewey McKee in Wayne,Ms at 601-735-9241 or write him at 26 Dewey McKee Dr.waynesboro,ms 39367. Contact me re: list,
doroab@webtv.net or Betty re: Cooley/Sumrall info
bshall@zebra.net
Dewey helped write & publish the Wayne Co. History book & our McKees lived in Wayne from 1880s..
per page

Find a board about a specific topic