Search for content in message boards

James McDavid, b Ire, d Lunenberg Co, Va 1748

James McDavid, b Ire, d Lunenberg Co, Va 1748

Posted: 6 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 4:49PM GMT
Surnames: McDavid, Allen, Rogers
Hi,

My ancestor, James McDavid, was b about 1680 in Ireland and died in 1748, Lunenberg Co, Va. He married Anne Allen (?), also b in Ireland. After the death of James, Anne went with her children to South Carolina.

1. How can I get a copy of James McDavid's will, filed for probate in Lunenberg Co? Also interested in land records, etc.
2. Is there a book which lists all the cemeteries in Lunenberg where I might find his gravesite?
I live in MS so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Loretta

Re: James McDavid, b Ire, d Lunenberg Co, Va 1748

Posted: 29 Oct 2002 4:46PM GMT
Did you get any response to your query? I'm researching Allens in Amelia County, and one of my relatives feels like they might've come from Lunenburg. Do you know if any other Allens emigrated with Anne Allen?

As for the McDavid will, if you don't have it yet, let me know. I live near the Virginia State Library and it may be possible to get it from there.

Loretta (View posts)
Posted: 29 Oct 2002 5:00PM GMT
Allen,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I was lucky enough to make contact with a lady who lives in the area and she was gracious enough to copy the will and send it to me. Thanks for the offer, anyway. Very kind of you.

I'm sorry I can't help with the Allens. I have no info on Anne Allen McDavid's family but it does seem likely her family may have come to America during the same time frame. What I have learned is the McDavids first settled elsewhere and migrated with other Irish families into the Lunenberg county area. I haven't worked on this line in a while and am a little rusty on details.

Have you checked Chalkley's Chronicles of the Scotch Irish in Virgina, 1745-1800? Interesting reading.

Thanks again for the reply and the offer to help.

Loretta

Allen Cole (View posts)
Posted: 30 Oct 2002 7:21AM GMT
No problem. Thanks for the mention of the Chalkley book. I will check on that.

Posted: 26 Apr 2010 8:29PM GMT
Surnames: McDavid
Hi there - I can send a pdf file of a "chart" compiled by my Uncle Foy McDavid. It goes back to James McDavid who emigrated from Ireland in the 1730's.
e-mail me at mcd-end[at]comcast.net

Posted: 26 Apr 2010 8:30PM GMT
Hi there - I can send a pdf file of a "chart" compiled by my Uncle Foy McDavid. It goes back to James McDavid who emigrated from Ireland in the 1730's.
e-mail me at mcd-end[at]comcast.net

Posted: 17 Dec 2012 9:21PM GMT
I'm working on the McDavid lineage, including James McDavid and Ann(?) Allen, the parents of George McDavid. The Army was kind enough to station me in Virginia, so I may have the opportunity to go look for some records as Lunenburg County is just a bit down the road.

I've never gone to look for actual records, anyone know where I should go look?

Thanks!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic