Search for content in message boards

Francis Delamere Lafferty - RCA

Francis Delamere Lafferty - RCA

Posted: 10 Dec 2010 10:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Lafferty
Hello everyone,
I'm in the process of putting together my wife's side of the family tree, and we found a relative that we're all interested to learn more about.

I've been able to locate his medal register thanks to Library and Archives Canada, but we were hoping to find out more information. We thought he was in the RCA, but it seems to say 2nd (SS) Bt RCRI?

He was born in about 1876 and died in 1919, a few days after his promotion to Brigadier General.

Any information would be amazing, and would be greatly appreciated

Sam

Re: Francis Delamere Lafferty - RCA

Posted: 11 Dec 2010 3:13PM GMT
His medal would have been inscribed as being a Lieutenant with the 2nd (S.S.) RCRI, = the 2nd (Special Service) Battalion, Royal Canadian Regiment of Infantry, but if you notice on the right side of the page where he signed for the medal in September 1901, he’s put: FD Lafferty Lt & BT Capt RCA [BT Capt = ? Battery Captain, officer in charge of battery]. So like many officers in both British and Colonial forces looks like he volunteered for service in South Africa with the “new” battalion of infantry it needed officers or because there were no vacancies with the small group of the RCA of the Canadian contingent.

That appears to be supported by:

The Times, Saturday, Dec 01, 1900; pg. 12
The Queen and the Canadian Contingent – Windsor 30 Nov

The article describes the inspection of the Canadians at Windsor and mentions officers being presented to the Queen, included was Lieutenant F.D. Lafferty, Royal Canadian Artillery.

For more background see http://www.angloboerwar.com/canadian-units
You can also check the Army Order 94/1901 that gave the conditions for the award of the various clasps he was awarded via the site.

Post Boer War.

The Times, Monday, Jan 02, 1911; pg. 6

Ordnance College
Describes the content of army orders listing officers who had passed the final examinations, under Ordnance Course it lists Maj. F.D. Lafferty R. Canadian Artillery.
It goes on to list officers who will form the advance class whose studies “commenced to-day” and includes, Maj. F.D. Lafferty, R. Canadian Artillery (attached).

The Times, Monday, Feb 05, 1912; pg. 4 – Ordnance College.
He’s included in the list of officers who had passed the final examination of the Advance Class.

If you can’t access the London Times contact me at jeffp dot h at bt [no space] internet dot com.

From a simple web search I found that in 1915 he was Lt Col FD Lafferty RCA and a member of the “Shell Committee” whatever that was. I would think you could obtain his full biography and service history from the Canadian Archives or the Royal Canadian Artillery Museum.

Jeff

Posted: 12 Dec 2010 7:52PM GMT

Posted: 29 Dec 2011 11:22PM GMT
Surnames: Gray Lafferty Allan
Sam:

I am very pleased to hear that you are researching your wife's family and that there is a connection to F. D. Lafferty. I believe I can help you a lot, although depending on her relationship to the Lafferty family.

I have done extensive research on the James D. Lafferty family and even the wider Lafferty family. I would appreciate getting updates from you as a lot of my info on contemporary descendants is about twenty years old. I have continued researching the wider Lafferty family.

I moved from Ont. to B.C. in 1995 and was more actively interviewing the Lafferty family in the early 1990s. Some of the people that I was writing to and interviewing probably don't know how to contact me. F D. Lafferty's mother was Jessie P. nee Gray, my father's great aunt. F.D. Lafferty and my grandfather, Rev. S. Harper Gray, were about the same age, and good friends in the 1890s. These are all very special people.

I look forward to hearing from you. Please contact me at slgray@shaw.ca.

Steve Gray
Victoria BC

Posted: 17 Oct 2012 5:32AM GMT
Surnames: Lafferty, Gray
Oops. Jessie P. née Gray 1850-1918 was my father's aunt, thus my great aunt. My grandfather Rev. S. Harper Gray 1873-1916 of Dundas and Toronto, was a half brother to Jessie.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions