Search for content in message boards

COALSHIP "GWENDOLINE" PLEASE

COALSHIP "GWENDOLINE" PLEASE

Posted: 26 Jun 2009 11:32AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello everyone,I am looking for some information on a ship called the S.S Gwendoline that apperantly sunk off the coast of the Faroe Islands on or about the 17th. of November 1893. She went down with crew and a full load of coal. The ship was built and stationed out of Middlesborough U.K The first mate on board was a Jonathon Coombs. Any more info on this would be most helpful.
Thank you,
Tom

Re: COALSHIP "GWENDOLINE" PLEASE

Posted: 30 Oct 2009 8:30AM GMT
Hi Tom,

The Times, Friday, Nov 24, 1893; pg. 10; Issue 34117; col E

"A Middlesborough telegram says the reported loss of the steamship, Gwendoline, owned by Swan Brothers,Middlesborough, is confirmed. The crew have perished. They numbered 13, and the body of Captain Mallett who commanded the vessel, is said to have been found on the coast."

Glasgow Herald (Glasgow, Scotland), Friday, November 24, 1893; Issue 281.

THE LOSS OF THE GWENDOLINE

"A Middlesborough telegram says the reported loss of the steamship, Gwendoline, owned by Swan Brothers,Middlesborough, is confirmed, with all hands. She had a crew of 13. The body of the Captain, named Mallett, is reported to have been found.

Much sympathy was expressed at Grangemouth on the news of the loss of the steamer Gwendoline. The Captain and crew were well known, the steamer being a regular trader to the port. The Chief Officer, Thomas Miller, was for a number of years Captain of one of the Carron Company's steamers running between Grangemouth and London. Latterly he was in the steamer Abergrange of Grangemouth, which vessel he left quite recently to join the Gwendoline. He was married and resided in Falkirk. Another member of the crew belonged to Grangemouth - John Allan, steward, who was married."

(From Gale databases - see your local library for access)
http://infotrac.galenet.com/galenet?cause=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.g...

Wreck site
http://www.marinequest.co.uk/diving/wrecks_5.htm

Debra

Posted: 30 Oct 2009 9:02AM GMT
Hello DJ, this information was allready sent to me by a gentleman in Scotland but I greatly appreciate it regardless. Sadly, shipwrecks around the Northumberland coast were all too common.
Thanks,
Tom.

Posted: 27 Mar 2013 3:01PM GMT
My great grandfather was on board the Gwendoline when she sank. He was Thomas Aiston, donkeyman, and was not supposed to be on that trip but was a replacement. I have the newspaper cutting from the Evening Gazette reporting the sinking. If you like to send me your e mail address I could scan this and send it to you. Alternatively my tree is on the web-site and is a public members tree.
What is your interest in the Gwendoline?

Posted: 29 Mar 2013 4:58PM GMT
Hello Jean, my father's grandfather's brother, Johnathon Coombes, was on board the Gwendoline when she sank. It looks like we have something in common here.I believe he was a first mate at the time. A member of my dad's family named one of their daughters after the ship in his honour. The Coombes family were native to the Sunderland area for many years and had a long history of service in the merchant marine. I believe Johnathon was living in Middlesbrough at the time of this. I wish I could share this with my dad but he left us 2 weeks ago. He would have been keenly interested in this.I already have some newspaper articles on this but thanks anyway.

Posted: 12 Jun 2013 9:31PM GMT
Edited: 12 Jun 2013 9:33PM GMT
Hi Jean, hope you are ok. Well that clears up the reason why I could never find Gran Brighty's dad! I think a donkeyman was the man who ran the auxiliary boiler.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic