Search for content in message boards

FTM 2010 Children out of wedlock

FTM 2010 Children out of wedlock

Posted: 10 Jul 2010 3:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
Just started using this software and so far it doesn't seem to handle anything outside m/f married forever and had a ton of kids very well.

This is what I am trying to enter:

Woman W1 has a child C1 with Man M1 out of wedlock. They never married and did not stay together after the birth.

Woman W1 has a child C2 with Man M2 out of wedlock. They never married and did not stay together after the birth.

Woman W1 later marries Man M3. They have a child C3.

My first attempt I tried entering the woman and her children, then adding the fathers. No way could I convince FTM that M1 was not the father of all three children.

Next attempt I entered the woman, then each man in succession as a spouse, changing the relationship to friend-none, then the children under each father. Closer BUT now each man is listed as "Husband of W1" which is not correct.

There has got to be a way to do this. M1 and M2 never were and should not be listed as husband of W1.

Re: FTM 2010 Children out of wedlock

Posted: 10 Jul 2010 3:39PM GMT
Can't seem to edit my own post.

Correction first attempt before those other 2 were to add W1, add C1, add C1's father M1. Then add C2, and add C2's father M2, and so on. That went to h*ll in a hurry. Wound up having to delete everything and start over from scratch.

Posted: 10 Jul 2010 5:46PM GMT
Doug,

You enter the information as you have it. What is important is that you have the relationships between the Natural Mother and Father with the Child. Don't worry, yet, about what that relationship is.

You can adjust those relationship Settings on the Relationship button, on the People Workspace, Person Tab. There is where you define the relationships.

But you want to look at the relationships between the mother and father (not defined by marriage) and the relationship between the parents and the children.

What version of Family Tree Maker are you using? Help, about.

Russ

Posted: 10 Jul 2010 7:07PM GMT
Family Tree Maker 2010

v19.0.0.206 (The latest service pack I believe)

It just annoys me that x is listed as a husband of y no matter what i define their relationship (or lack thereof) as.

Posted: 10 Jul 2010 7:08PM GMT
Doug,

Where are you seeing "husband"?

Are you showing / presenting the Marriage Facts and Status?

Russ

Posted: 10 Jul 2010 7:13PM GMT
If I click on one of the fathers, then click the Person tab, the person's name is listed in the upper right-hand corner. Below that it says "Husband of ..." which is incorrect.

Posted: 10 Jul 2010 7:21PM GMT
Just had another go at it. Tried adding a child, adding the parent, adding a child, adding the parent again. I wind up with multiple fathers for each child. Nice!!!!

Adding the children first then trying to change the parents is even uglier.

Posted: 10 Jul 2010 7:21PM GMT
Doug,

I can only suggest that you make your Detailed Requirements known on this website:

http://ftm.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ftm.cfg/php/enduser/ask_feed...

The development team has reported that they DO read these requests.

Russ

Posted: 10 Jul 2010 7:23PM GMT
Doug,

You only enter an individual one time. From then on, its attach, if that individual in in your file.

Detach the Child from the incorrect Parent and Attach the Child to the Correct Parent.

Russ

Posted: 10 Jul 2010 7:40PM GMT
Yeah I been playing around with that. Finally managed to get each child with the correct parents. But now:

Mother shows 3 spouses (guess I have to live with that)
Mother shows 1 child (the first)

This is incredibly kludgy at best. I can't believe that out of all the users of this program nobody else has ever run into this problem?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic