Search for content in message boards

FTM vs. online Ancestry.com - pros and cons

FTM vs. online Ancestry.com - pros and cons

Posted: 13 Jul 2010 11:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
A couple of months ago I purchased FTM assuming it was interactively compatible with ancestry.com. After the last webinar, I learned they weren't so my plan "died" to download a file, visit a research center without connectivity and modify netbook-based records, then sync it up with the online version. Both tools have strengths and weaknesses: FTM is great to find and merge duplicates, resolve dangling people, convert dates, set standards, and resolve place names. Ancestry.com is better for 'following leaves', collaborating with others, researching, and working in a netbook environment. Sure can't wait until there is just one tool that combines the best of both! It is really painful to download a working file and then later upload an updated version ... far too much effort for the ROI! Suggestions for empowering researchers? How can we leverage to bring the comparable functionality to both tools?

Re: FTM vs. online Ancestry.com - pros and cons

Posted: 14 Jul 2010 10:29AM GMT
hgirdley,

The only thing that Version 2010 doesn't do very well, based on your message, is the collaborating with others.

Is Version 2010 "interactively compatible with ancestry.com"? I think so. But, I'll guess that what you mean by that is that a PC based tree and a web based tree would update each other automatically. That, they can't do.

But, how many people are you collaborating with?

As to "following" the "leaves", Version 2010 does a pretty good job at that. PLUS, it allows you to do online searches on other Web Sites, right from within Family Tree Maker.

I maintain my file on my PC, then Upload my tree to Ancestry.

Russ

Posted: 14 Jul 2010 11:42AM GMT
I am with Riss on this one

FTM 2010 does literally hundreds of things the online tree cannot do.

I regard my online tree as an extension of my Publish workspace, ie it can produce charts and reports online.

I only move data in one direction, from FTM 2010 to the online tree doing this about once per month.

I use the same online file name each month and add a month name as part of the title

I then delete the earlier tree so there is only one online tree.

I then update the invitations to fellow researchers

John D

Posted: 14 Jul 2010 3:37PM GMT
I have gone back and force on what way to do it. Right now i do work in ftm and then upload. Problem with that is when ancestry started to limit your uploads where basicly not much media could upload. I work out of different computers so though of using the online tree then downloading into ftm. The problem with that is that media added will download but now the source images like census wont anymore. You can do it manuel but would be a pain.

Posted: 14 Jul 2010 3:43PM GMT
Also to confuse the issue more ancestry throws in mundia which looks different then their online tree but also has different features such as the ability to tag a photo.

Posted: 14 Jul 2010 4:16PM GMT
Russ, John, Jeff, and others responding - Your comments are exactly what I was hoping my posting would uncover. The MEDIA issue is where I felt the greatest frustration ... I just finished 2 days of retagging media of a tree that had all that information attached before I downloaded it, cleaned it up in FTM, and uploaded it (and I have 3 more trees to go). The housekeeping (retagging, reinviting guests, etc.) has been horribly painful ... I want to hire housekeepers - or have the vendor improve the quality of my life! [:-)] SO ... keep up the great suggestions and experience recaps, I'm learning from each of you of workarounds I might be able to use. BTW, please also add FTM features are really floating your boat ... I'm obviously not aware of all the tools, tricks, tips, and techniques.

Posted: 14 Jul 2010 9:04PM GMT
I do pretty much the same thing, except I keep exactly the same name and put the date in the comments.

It is the need to reinvite guests that I find frustrating. I appreciate that an invite/accept exchange has its merits, but I don't see the need for it to be required for each tree. One invitation/acceptance per user is all that is required, and then permissions could just be added to as many trees as desired. The worst that could happen is that a user gets access to trees he doesn't want in addition to ones he does.

Posted: 14 Jul 2010 9:08PM GMT
hgirdley

Two links you may find useful

The FTM knowledge base http://ftm.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ftm.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp....

Many great articles and a good search box. the articles are being constantly updated and revised so visit it often.

The FTM Support

http://www.familytreemaker.com/Support/

Have a look at all the webinars

Also look the narrated tutorials in the Help Section of your FTM 2010. You installed them (you had no choice) so you may as well look at them :-)

Keep asking questions on this list and even better still the FTM tech list where most of the beta testers hang out.

John D

Posted: 14 Jul 2010 9:48PM GMT
ggjuk

Surely it is not too onerous?

Have your invitees in a list with their emails and copy and paste

Given the benefit of the feature and its price, )and surely the value exceeds the price?) it is not that taxing.

Sometimes you need to put a little effort in to get a great outcme

John D

Posted: 15 Jul 2010 11:32AM GMT
Thanks everyone - you have gotten to the heart of what has been vexing me of late. I have been using FTM for many years and have a large monolithic tree (all my ancestors in one tree). I use FTM and my local database as my golden copy, then upload and re-invite on ancestry. I like the autonomy of control over my own precious data. It is tempting to go over to the "cloud" model, for all the benefits mentioned on this thread, but after reading I am not gonna do it! The worst, I think, is the media issue. I am a careful researcher but have been somewhat lazy about source citations. My goal is to improve that, and in doing that work I have tons of media I could add from local copies. The lack of transportability of media (especially images) is my biggest beef and ALMOST pushed me over the edge into the world of the "cloud". But alas, my feet are staying firmly planted on the FTM ground. The best we can all do is give them our feedback. They do seem to be interested in what we think....
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions