Search for content in message boards

Margaret Ralston Reading

Margaret Ralston Reading

Posted: 7 Mar 2008 8:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ralston, Kirby, Reading
I want to find info, photos, stories about Margaret Reading who had a ranch on FM Road 362, called The Peanut Patch,from the 1930's-1970. She was a daughter of Capt Joseph Courtenay Ralston and Lucille Kirby Ralston who had a ranch across the road 1880's- on. She was involved in community activities, an activist Democrat, and farmer. I would like to learn more about my eccentric great-great aunt and her family. Please share photos and stories.

Re: Margaret Ralston Reading

Posted: 18 Jul 2008 8:33PM GMT
I am also looking for info on "Joseph Courtenay Ralston". who may or may not be the same as the one you know of. Mine was married to a Marie Smith who was born in the 1870's and died in 1949. It is possible that Marie Smith was his second wife. Can you either confirm or disprove this possibility?

Posted: 19 Jul 2008 5:22AM GMT
Yes this is my family and I have lots of info, photos and stories about Marie Smith and her husband, Dr. Joseph Courtenay Ralston (Jr). I would love to share. My mom (named Courtenay for him as he was killed in an elevator accident)is still alive and remembers her Aunt Marie well.
We just did a trip to look up all this cool info about this family. Joseph Courtenay Ralston Sr- the father was Captain Ralston in Waller County, TX
What is your interest? Would love to hear?

Posted: 19 Jul 2008 12:05PM GMT
Marie's 2 sisters lived in Stone Cottage, NEw HOpe PA for many years. As a child I knew them in the early 1940's. We called them all "cousins", as did my parents, but I don't think there was a family connection. I think Marie lived with them too at that time. Marie's sister, Edith was Godmother to my father, Harris Tremaine Hall, who was born a sickly infant in 1904. Edith nursed him to survival, for which I am truly grateful! I have Family Tree Maker file for three generations of their mother, Juliet Gillet (Marshall) Smith if you are interested.

Posted: 19 Jul 2008 3:39PM GMT
I would love to add your Family Tree Maker to mine. I am delighted to know what the middle initials stand for. I have a simple silver bracelet of Aunt Marie's with MMR on it. My sister is named Marie for our Aunt Marie- she was actually my great Aunt. Margaret Ralston Reading was her sister in law- also married to a doc in Galveston and lived close to each other.
We visited Stone Cottage too when I was a young child. Do you have photos of their home and the little chapel there. We do not and would like to have. I understand that the land is part of a boarding school now. Does the Stone Cottage still stand? Do you remember the big cuckoo clock?
Do you know about Marie's young married life in Galveston with her dashing doc husband, JC Ralston jr. The details of which were printed in the Houston Chronicle in 1920 He was tragically crushed when an elevator door closed on him. The elevator company paid a settlement which Marie had given to Trinity Episcopal Church Houston to make a tower on the church in his name- we just went and saw his name engraved on the arch His death is why /when elevator doors had safety features .
Aunt Marie was a beautiful young woman we have some fun photos of them clowning around. Are you interested? I am certainly interested in photos you might have Becky

Posted: 19 Jul 2008 4:40PM GMT
Thnks for your prompt reply. I will try to attach the FTM file. I have a few pics of Stone cottage taken in 2004. It has seen many changes, but is beautifully landscaped. I was pretty young when I went there, but I remember a goldfish pond. I have two living older sisters who remember a lot more. I believe I have some photos of the Smith sisters but I will have to search for them.

Posted: 19 Jul 2008 5:02PM GMT
There was no attachment. Could you send it to beckyvanderslice8125@msn.com
My mom remembers a Hall family connection and possibly a family member that visited Margaret Reading Ralston's farm in Waller Texas . Does that make sense/

Posted: 21 Aug 2008 9:10PM GMT
Do you have info on Dr. Joseph Courtenay Ralston, Jr.? I would like to know the complete dates of his birth, death and marriage. I believe he was married in June of 1905.

Posted: 23 Dec 2011 7:24PM GMT
I have a large amount of material relating to the activities of Margaret Reading of Waller, whose ranch called the Peanut Patch, was located on FM 362.

When Jimmy Demaret, the golfer and realestate developer, purchased the ranch from the Federal Land Bank, he gave me the records of numerous political reform movements in which Mrs. Reading participated.

If relatives or friends of Mrs. Reading contact me I would be happy to discuss Mrs. Reading with them.

Sincerely,
John Eudy
jceudy@Yahoo.com

Posted: 31 Mar 2014 3:36PM GMT
Are you still looking for this information? My father worked on this ranch in the mid-30s. I do have a few photos, but they are primarily of him on an oil rig, horse, and tractor.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions