Search for content in message boards

Help with 1888 & 1895 Ashland City Directories needed

Help with 1888 & 1895 Ashland City Directories needed

Posted: 6 Sep 2012 2:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Rousseau, Babineau
Hoping someone here can help solve my very mysterious family puzzle. Here's my story:

My great grandfather, John Jonas Rousseau was born May 17, 1875 in Beaver Island, Michigan to Charles Rousseau and Charlotte Martin. Charlotte is the daughter of Solomon Martin but I'm starting to believe Charles fell from the sky into Michigan.. Charles and Charlotte had 3 other children:

Joseph M. Rousseau born about 1867 in Michigan
Charlotte J. Rousseau born about 1868 in Michigan
Charles Rousseau born about 1871 in Michigan
John (great grandfather mentioned above)

I have this family in or around St. Ignace, Michigan from 1860-1880 and then they all disappear. I can only find information on John Jonas once he married my great grandmother in Minnesota. There seems to be nothing on Charles (father), Charlotte, or the other kids, no birth, death, marriages...nothing. I'm at my wits end!!

Family story says John Jonas told the family he was raised in an orphanage on or near the Red Cliff Indian Reservation. I have not found any information on this yet. My family also has a connection to the Babineau Family. My grandma (John Jonas' daughter) talked with and visited a Charlie Babineau in Ashland/Bayfield in the 1960's & 1970's. Charlotte Martin married a Babineau (possibly Antoine) before she married Charles and had two kids with him: Antoine and Macala.

I'm thinking family may have raised John Jonas but did they raise his siblings too or were they older and what happened to Charles and Charlotte? Did they die? When? Where? I have so many questions and no answers!! I need help!

I have found the 1888 City Directory for Ashland and it has:

Frank Rousseau, lab, bds 521 W Pine
John Rousseau, lab, res 521 W Pine
John Rousseau Jr., driver AA Bigelow & CO, bds 521 W Pine
Joseph Rousseau, wks C St P M & O Ry, bds 521 W Pine

1895 City Directory for Ashland

F. Izabeth (sic) Rousseau, dressmaker, bds 416 St. Clair
Frank Rousseau, teamster, bds 416 St Clair
John Rousseau, lab, res 416 St Clair
John Rousseau Jr, lab, bds 416 St Clair
Joseph Rousseau, lab, bds 416 St Clair
Minnie Rousseau, seamstress, Mrs. J. Hitchcock, bds 416 St Clair

I would like to know how to obtain any information on those listed in these directories. Where do I get information? What does bds stand for? res I assume means residence?

Is anyone else researching this family? How can I obtain information about these Rousseau's to see if they are related to mine? Please help...this family is a 15 year old brick wall!! It needs to get knocked down now!
Thank you,
Delayne

Re: Help with 1888 & 1895 Ashland City Directories needed

Posted: 22 Oct 2012 3:01PM GMT
The onlly information the city dirctories give is name, address and occupation.

1893 Ashland
August Rosseau, lab (laborer), bds (boards) 109 %th Ave East
Elizabeth, dressmaker, same address
John, lab, same address
John Jr., teamster, same address

According to the 1910 census for Ashland, John Rosseau, Sr. was born in Maine in 1885. His son John Jr. was born 1866 in Wisconsin and son Frank was born 1880 in Wisconsin. John Sr. was married to a french canadian named Amelia.

Brian

Posted: 25 Oct 2012 5:12AM GMT
I've sent a note to someone I know pointing him to this thread to see if he may be related to your family. I hope so!

Posted: 25 Oct 2012 2:35PM GMT
me too and thank you so very much!
Delayne
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions