Search for content in message boards

Looking for information on Peter H Raap (1902-1973)

Posted: 17 Oct 2002 8:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 Dec 2005 6:42AM GMT

I first learned of Peter Raap through his father’s death notice in the Chicago Tribune:

March 29, 1946
RAAP - John Henry [Hank] Raap, suddenly, father of Peter H. and Vincent, brother of Robert R. and Ernest E.

When I obtained my grandfather’s genealogy notes, it also confirmed that John H. Raap Jr. did indeed have a son named Peter. I looked up Peter Raap in the Social Security Death Index and found a likely match. This Peter was born July 9, 1902, and died in June of 1973. I then looked him up in the Chicago Tribune and found him on the death notices page of June 10, 1973:

* Raap - Peter H. Raap, beloved husband of Blanche; dear father of John [Barbara] of Minneapolis, Minn., and Dolores [Eric] Jacobson of Augusta, Ga.; grandfather of Sheryl, Lauri, Eric, Elizabeth and Peter. Life member of Medinah Temple. ... Interment Elmwood. *

So, I went to Elmwood cemetery, and found his tombstone. His wife Blance (Forke) was buried with him, they next to her parents, although her stone did not list a date of death. I later also found in the SSDI that she was born April 11, 1904 and died December 17, 1993. I snuck a peek in the cemetery’s office records, which indicated that Peter may have died in Green Bay, Wisconsin.

I have since looked for Peter, and his brother Vincent via their father, in Illinois census records from 1910 and 1920 and have been unable to find anything there. John Raap Jr was still living with his mother, unmarried, in 1900. He had apparently gotten married and moved out in 1910 as I could not locate him anywhere in the Illinois census. By 1920, he was divorced and living with his mother again. I could only assume that his ex-wife now had the kids, but where did they live?

A few years ago, I was contacted by Steve Wilhelmi (http://www.wilhelmisweb.com/) who told me that we may have common relatives in John Henry Raap Jr. and his son Vincent Patrick Raap. I checked it out, and after considering it for a long time, I decided that his “Hank” Raap and mine were indeed the same person. He knew very little of Hank, or his ex-wife Veronica Creamer, and knew nothing of Peter’s existence, but he was the first source from whom I could get information about Vincent, his great-grandfather. As Vincent was born September 30, 1909, in Chicago, and died May 27, 1981 in Waukesha Wisconsin, some things were starting to click.

I have hypothesized that their mother, Veronica, must have moved to Wisconsin with the boys after the divorce. Perhaps she and John even lived in Wisconsin when they were married. Peter and Vincent may have spent time in both Illinois and Wisconsin as they lived their lives, having connections in both places. While Vincent apparently settled and stayed in Wisconsin ultimately, Peter seems to have had more roots in the Chicago area. His wife and their family are both buried in the suburbs of Chicago, so even if he did die in Green Bay, he was buried with them.

The real mystery as far as I’m concerned is, what happened with Peter’s family? There are a lot of Raap’s here in the Chicago area, and they’d love to know what happened to them. I do know, from the 1973 death notice of Peter, that there was a son John [Barbara] of Minneapolis, Minnesota, and daughter Dolores [Eric] Jacobson of Augusta, Georgia. I also know that Peter had five grandchildren at the time - Sheryl, Lauri, Eric, Elizabeth and Peter - though whether they are Raap’s or Jacobson’s are unknown. Where do his children and grandchildren live now, and are they still alive after 30 years? Did he have more grandchildren after 1973? What about his great-grandchildren? Great-great grandchildren?

Any help, clues, or information you can provide me with would be much appreciated. :)

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/b/a/a/Kevin-Baase...

Re: Looking for information on Peter H Raap (1902-1973)

Posted: 6 Jun 2003 3:15PM GMT
Edited: 30 Oct 2003 7:06PM GMT
Surnames: Raap, Jacobson

I hope this helps

ERIC JACOBSON ATLANTA GA age 92
ERIC JACOBSON ATLANTA GA age 41

Eric T Jacobson
6430 Glen Oaks Ln Ne
Atlanta, GA
(404) 843-0560

Eric T Jacobson
6430 Glen Oaks Ln Ne
Atlanta, GA
(404) 843-0630

PETER JACOBSON ATLANTA GA age 40
Peter Jacobson
5307 Ashford Gables Dr
Atlanta, GA 30338-6734
Tel.: (770) 394-6443

JOHN EDWARD RAAP MINNEAPOLIS MN age 72

Posted: 8 Jun 2003 4:35AM GMT
wow, thanks kristin!

those look pretty good actually... all except for the Eric Jacobsen (age 92) could indeed be my relatives! probably most importantly, did you have an address for this one:

Posted: 8 Jun 2003 4:36AM GMT
wow, thanks kristin!

those look pretty good actually... all except for the Eric Jacobsen (age 92) could indeed be my relatives! probably most importantly, did you have an address for this one:

Posted: 9 Jun 2003 1:07AM GMT
Edited: 30 Oct 2003 7:06PM GMT
Surnames: Raap, Jacobson
Sorry, no I do not. I found him listed on us search com, but nothing came up on yahoo. There is also a VERL WESLEY RAAP listed in Minn, but I can not pull him up either. At least you know they are there. If I can find them, I'll let you know.

Kristin

Posted: 3 Dec 2003 7:13PM GMT
Surnames: Raap, Melin, Kropp, Jacobson
I found a few death notices on the Chicago Tribune Historical Archive site that shed some light onto Peter Raap’s family. It seems that the Lauri and Eric mentioned in his death notice were actually stepchildren of his son John. John’s wife Barbara had been married before. Her first husband died in 1965, and her eldest son Roy died at age 16 in 1972. Therefore Lauri and Eric had the name Kropp originally, though it is unknown whether they changed their name to Raap later.

Also, the identities of Peter’s grandchildren Sheryl, Elizabeth and Peter remain a mystery. Were they the children of John’s sister Dolores [Eric] Jacobson? Were they John’s children from a previous marriage? Did John and Barbara have them after her first husband died? Or a combination of these?

1965-05-09

Kropp

Donald Roy Kropp, suddenly, May 8, of Mount Prospect, formerly of River Forest and Hinsdale, husband of Barbara, nee Melin; father of Roy, Lauri, and Eric; son of Mr. and Mrs. Roy A. Kropp of Mundelein; brother of Arline Shethar of Connecticut and Charles A. of Mount Prospect. Friends may call after 2 p.m. Sunday, at Drechsler Funeral Home, 203 S. Marion street [Wisconsin avenue], Oak Park. Services Tuesday, 3 p.m., at United Evangelical Lutheran church, N. Ridgeland avenue at Greenfield, Oak Park. In lieu of flowers, memorials to the Service club of Chicago. Interment private. EU 3-3191.

1972-06-07

Kropp

Roy A. Kropp II, age 16, of Minneapolis, Minn.; dear son of Mrs. John Raap of Medina, Minn.; brother of Eric and Lauri; grandson of Mr. and Mrs. Laurence Melin of Glen Ellyn, Ill., and Mr. and Mrs. Roy Kropp of Wilmette, Ill. Private family services were held Monday at St. Stephen Episcopal Church, Minneapolis. In lieu of flowers, contributions to the Roy Kropp Memorial, c/o St. Stephen Episcopal Church, 50th St. and Wooddale Av., Minneapolis, will be sincerely appreciated. 612-927-8641.

1972-06-25

Melin

Gladys A. Melin, nee Koberstine, resident of Delray Beach Fla. beloved wife of Lawrence H. Melin; dear mother mother of Mrs. Barbara M. Raap of Edina, Minn., and Lawrence H. Jr. [Sandra] of Glen Ellyn; fond grandmother of four; dear sister of Jack [Bette] Koberstine of Lombard. Funeral services Monday 1 p.m., at the Brust Funeral Home, 135 S. Main St., Lombard. Visitation Sunday 2-5 and 7-10 p.m. Interment Glen Oak Cemetery. In lieu of flowers memorials to the American Cancer Society appreciated. 629-0094.

J.A. Hamacher (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jul 2005 11:01PM GMT
Did you get my email from the other day ?

Posted: 10 May 2011 12:34AM GMT
Kevin,

I am from another line of Raaps all of whom with the last name Raap has died off from what I can tell. I am hitting many brick walls. My mother was Kathleen Alta Raap. Her father was Irvin Leonard Raap. his parents were Louis Raap b jan 1867 d about 1954 Mamie or Marie Gerlach b jul 1869 d 1900. This couple was born in Baltimore. Marie's Mother Mary unknown Gerlach emigrated from bavaria in 1848 when she was 3. According to the US census, she was Married to a John Gerlach who was born in 1832 in Prussia. If you have any other information on this line, let me know.

Alta

Posted: 11 May 2011 7:34PM GMT
Hi Alta,

I wish I was able to help, but unfortunately none of these names ring any bells.

Kevin

Posted: 10 Nov 2012 4:36PM GMT
KEVIN,

I FINALLY FOUND MORE OF MY RELATIVES DUE TO THE LAST NAME BEING CHANGED MANY TIMES. FORGIVE MY CAPS I DO ALL MY GENEALOGY IN CAPS. WELL IT RAAB AND RAPP. THE ONE SON KEPT THE RAPP AND MOVES TO NORTH CAROLINA FROM BALTIMORE, MD. SOME DID REMAIN IN THE BALTIMORE AREA.

THANKS,

ALTA
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions