Search for content in message boards

Colonel Jared Ellison Kirby and Alta Vista Plantation, Hempstead

Colonel Jared Ellison Kirby and Alta Vista Plantation, Hempstead

Posted: 7 Mar 2008 9:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kirby, Steel
I would like to obtain a copy of a reported pen and ink drawing of the Alta Vista Plantation. Do photos exist before it became Prairie View A and M? Do any artifacts or buildings remain?
Are there newspaper accounts of Jared Kirby's murder in 1865 allegedly by Capt. John Steel? How can I get a copy of the Probate of his property which took place in 1865?

Re: Colonel Jared Ellison Kirby and Alta Vista Plantation, Hempstead

Posted: 28 Feb 2013 1:15AM GMT
Are you still looking for information about Jared Kirby/Alta Vista Plantation? I have found several newspaper articles using The Texas Portal website. For instance, in the Fort Griffin Echo (Fort Griffin, Tex.), Vol. 2, No. 25, Ed. 1 Saturday, June 26, 1880, there is a note "Col. Jared E. Kirby, formerly of Waller County, died in Colorado last week." If you need the link to the Texas Portal, I'll be glad to send that to you. The Portal also has articles about the Kirby murders.

Re: Colonel Jared Ellison Kirby and Alta Vista Plantation, Hempstead

Posted: 6 Jun 2014 11:23PM GMT
Surnames: Groce Bell Kirby
Hello,
Col Kirby purchased a portion of this property which became the home of Prairie View University from my 3rd great grandfather James Bell. I am currently writing my 8th book and have been doing a lot of work on Austin and Waller Counties during the Civil War years. Col Kirby was prominent in the organization of the troops within the County. I have uncovered a lot about him. He came from Georgia in 1809...the name Jared Ellison is like that of Jared Ellison Groce so now wonder if they were not kin to each other.
Betty Smith Meischen
per page

Find a board about a specific topic