Search for content in message boards

Donnelly surmame

Donnelly surmame

Rose Morris (View posts)
Posted: 30 Nov 2001 7:30PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Donnelly
My mother is donnelly from near Castlecaulfield Co. Tyrone Northern Ireland. That has been the home of the Donnelly's from the 8th Century. The area used to be called Ballydonnelly ( from the Gaelic: Baile UiDhonnghaile: home of the Donnellys) until it was taken over in 1610 during the Plantation of Ulster by the British and Sir Toby Caulfield, a soldier who had served Queen Elizabeth so well was given a vast acreage in that region. He built his resisidence there in place of the Donnelly homestead hence the area became known as Castlecaulfield. The legend still remains in the area that Patrick Modardha (Patrick the gloomy) Donnelly was killed in the struggle of the take over and his son Shane Bearnard (Gap Tooth) took to the hills nearby in Altmore and became a highway man robbing the stage coaches on the main Dublin Derry road running past there. A barracks was built in Altmore on the Shields estate and filled with a regiment of British foot soldiers to try and conquer him and protect these travellers.The history of the early Donnely's can be found in the 'Annals of Ulster.

Re: Donnelly surmame

Posted: 4 Aug 2003 2:27AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Jul 2004 3:46AM GMT
Surnames: Morris, Donnelly
Rose, I just found out that my ggrandfather named Morris came from County Tyrone. He married Mary Donnelly. I am not certain if they met in Ireland and married there or in the United States. Would it be logical to assume that the Donnelly might be from Tyrone as well? If you could add any insight into this I would appreciate it. I don't know where to start when it comes to Ireland. I also have MCCoys, Murphy, Barrett, McBride, O'Brien...... I have to learn a little about Ireland and genealogy. Thanks

Rose (View posts)
Posted: 28 Aug 2003 11:23PM GMT
Jackie, some information on the Donnelly family name as requested. More than likely that your Donnelly name came from Tyrone. Morris is not known as a Tyrone name, had its origins in Wales aand came over as soldiers in the armies of Queen Elizabeth 1 (1558 -1600)
DONNELLY
Donnelly is O'Donnghaile in Irish, from Donnghaile. The prefix "O" denotes one who is the ancestor of Donnghaile. The word Donnghaile translates to "Brown Valor" or "Brown-haired Warrior." This name was given to someone who was dark and brave.

The Donnellys originally were a division of the clan Cineál Eoghain who derive their descent from Donnghal the fourth in descent from Domhnall, King of Aileach -- brother of Niall Glundubn and ancestor of the O'Neills, the chief family of ancient Ireland.

An original ancestor was Donnghaile O'Neill, who died in 876, was himself a descendant of Eoghain and ancestor of the royal house O'Neill. Donnghaile O'Neill was seventeenth in descent from Niall of the Nine Hostages, the fifth-century king who supposedly kidnapped St. Patrick to Ireland.

Their territory lay first in Co. Donegal and later further eastwards, centered around the place called Ballydonnelly, Co. Tyrone, which is west of Dungannon. Ballydonnelly was named from them. Ballydonnelly was recaptured later on and the settlement was renamed to the present day Castlecaulfield. This area is still the part of Ireland in which the name Donnelly is most numerous.

Many of the family were hereditary bards and their main historical fame is as soldiers, especially in the wars of the seventeenth century.

Donnellys were hereditary marshals of the O’Neill military forces. One of the most famous was Donnell O’Donnelly who was “captain of one hundred men,” fought bravely until he and all his men were slain at the battle of Kinsale (1603). In 1641 Patrick O’Donnelly took the castle of Lord Caulfield near Dungannon and renamed it to Ballydonnelly. It was recaptured later on (as stated above) and the settlement was renamed to Castlecaulfield.
In the U.S.A. examples of modern day Donnellys are Charles Francis Donnelly (1836-1909), the Catholic lawyer; Ignatius Donnelly (1831-1901), politician and reformer; and Sister Eleanor Cecilia Donnelly (1838-1917), author of many Catholic devotional works.
Check my website (www.altmore.com) to find about the area where a Donnelly (Shane Barnard) disposessed at Castlecaulfield became a highwayman and a regiment of foot soldiers were placed in the area to capture him and a barracks was built on this site to house them.

Posted: 15 Sep 2003 10:48PM GMT
Surnames: Donnelly, Karney
from Carolyne Donnelly,.....I am the 5th generation of my Donnelly clan to live in the states. I believe that there was talk of the family that hailed from Co Tyrone in the early 1800's. I have not been able to get as far as the records of the one that came over to the states from Ireland. His name is John Donnelly and when he left Ireland, somewhere in the mid 1800's he was married to Julia (Karney)Donnelly. I have no record of where he actually lived before he came to the states but I do know that his father's name was William. There was a hush hush in the family about ancestry during my great grandfathers and grand father's time. I believe that it had to do with the potato famine or how the Irish were regarded at the time.Nothing specific has ever surfaced. Anything from this end?

Posted: 22 Apr 2005 3:49AM GMT
Hi Rose. I trying to find any information on Catherine Donnelly and John Morris. Both were born in Tyrone and also married there in 1857. Catherine came to Australia in 1863 with their three children Margaret,Rose and John. They were aboard Empire of Peace. John had arrived in Australia six months before earlier.
Any information would be greatly appreciated

Posted: 15 Jun 2008 3:37PM GMT
To Carolyne Donnelly ... I am searching for a married couple, John and Julia Donnelly born in Ireland 1805 and 1815 respectively. They had 5 children, including two sons, eldest John (b. abt 1844 in Ireland) and youngest Patrick who I am descended from. The family moved to Manchester, England at the time of the Irish famine (c. 1850) but I do not know what happened to the son John after 1861 census. Do you think he might be your ancestor or are the names coincidental? If you think there is a link, I would be interested in any information you have. Thanks

Posted: 16 Jun 2008 3:54PM GMT
Surnames: Donnelly / Kivlochan
No i am sorry i do not think there was a John and Julia in the family, although the great grandparents did originate from Ireland. Sarah Kivlochan was the ggrandmothers name and Hugh Donnelly was the ggreatfathers. His fathers name was Hugh also and the mothers was Mary. They probably had a lot more children besides Hugh that i have not found out about yet, but who knows? I have come up with so many dead ends but i will keep you posted if i come up with anything

Posted: 8 Dec 2008 4:00PM GMT
Surnames: donnelly
Hi. I am also a Donnelly out of County Tyrone.
GGrandfather William Donnelly b about 1860 Co. Tyrone and came to the US, settling in Harrison NJ, about 1873-1880. Married Catherine McGarrity, who came to the US from Ireland about 1883. Not sure if she was also from Tyrone.
Have him tracked through US census 1900-1930. My grandfather was his son, also William Aloysius Donnelly (1893-1967). My father William Aloysius Donnelly (1921-2006). My brother William Michael Donnelly (1946-living).
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions