Search for content in message boards

Hayes Family Late 1700s in NJ

Hayes Family Late 1700s in NJ

Posted: 24 Feb 2007 9:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hayes
I am researching Hayes line that settled in Montgomery Co. IN in 1830s likely via Dearborn Co. IN.

William b. 1826 IN
Henry b. 1798 NJ
and Richard b. 1768 ?

seems like possible line. Any information or guidance welcome. Thanks.

Re: Hayes Family Late 1700s in NJ

Posted: 28 Jan 2011 11:32PM GMT
Hello -
I have a typed family history of the Hayes from about 1950 (Iris Johnson). The possible links are:

Hillah Hayes, a native of North Carolina and Siltia White of Tennesse were married and immigrated to Indiana, where John Weslie Hayes was born. In about the year 1846 they left Indiana and moved to Albia, Monroe County, Iowa, a country which was very sparingly settled.

John Wesley Hayes grew to manhood in this locality and married Miss Mary Hicklenlooper, in the year 1878.

Mrs. and Mrs. John Hayes, his father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. Hillah Hayes and a brother, Albert, came to Ness county in a covered wagon. Another brother, George, came later but did not like this prairie country so went on west to the Goldfields of California nad was never heard from again. etc. etc.

I am wondering in William could be Hillah. and the George was intriguing. I don't have any other information on George and would like to know more as well as Albert.

Posted: 8 Apr 2011 4:45PM GMT
I wonder if we could have another connection. I'm researching the Hayes family that originated in either NJ or PA but moved to Ohio. My ancestor Ezra Freeman Hayes was born in Ohio in 1811; the family moved to Indiana sometime thereafter.

Ezra married Mary Cox in Indiana in 1834; they had several children. After Mary's death, Ezra married Julia Ann Mason in Indiana. Shortly after that, the family moved to Washington, Iowa.

Ezra seems to have moved to Missouri later in life.

I'm looking for information on the parents and ancestors of Ezra Freeman Hayes and Mary Cox. (Their son Thomas Jefferson Hayes) is my great-great-grandfather.) Any connection?

Posted: 30 Jul 2011 11:57PM GMT
Just wondering, I have some paintings (watercolor I think) painted by a N J Hayes in 1897. The scenes were a farm house with a wooden split rail fence around it and also the
underneat where the workshop was. They are quite good and
I was told there were in a farm house in Pa. near N.Y. An
employee of mine had them and I bought them. Just wondering if you have any N J Hayes artist in that area.
Just wondering. Thanks, Mary

Posted: 30 Jul 2011 11:57PM GMT
Just wondering, I have some paintings (watercolor I think) painted by a N J Hayes in 1897. The scenes were a farm house with a wooden split rail fence around it and also the
underneat where the workshop was. They are quite good and
I was told there were in a farm house in Pa. near N.Y. An
employee of mine had them and I bought them. Just wondering if you have any N J Hayes artist in that area.
Just wondering. Thanks, Mary

Posted: 31 Jul 2011 4:32PM GMT
So sorry - was told that our family was from New York, but research has shown they are from North Carolina from the old world. The paintings sound interesting, thank you for your inquiry. Always looking for more info on my Hayes family line.

Posted: 1 Aug 2011 1:15PM GMT
Sorry, different family I think. My Hayes are from New York and the father Nicholas P Hayes came from Ireland as an immigrant and brought wife/6 kids and then there were more kids born in New York. My subject is one of the children Nicholas J Hayes who was born in 1856 in New York and died Jan. 3, 1928. He was a Fire Commissioner. My reason is that I have these watercolor paintings by N J Hayes and I think they were from the New York, Pa area.
Just would like to know of N J (Possibly Nicholas) ever dabbled in water color painting. He would have been 29 when they were painted.

Posted: 3 Aug 2011 1:42AM GMT
I was tracking a N J Hayes maybe around New York or Pa.
There are lots of them in New York and Nicholas J Hayes was a fire commissioner there and died in 1926. I'm not sure
he is the one. I have paintings by a N J Hayes in 1887 and was just trying to find someone who would know of a N J Hayes who did some amateur paintings about that time.
Thanks, Kathleen

Posted: 3 Aug 2011 1:42AM GMT
I was tracking a N J Hayes maybe around New York or Pa.
There are lots of them in New York and Nicholas J Hayes was a fire commissioner there and died in 1926. I'm not sure
he is the one. I have paintings by a N J Hayes in 1887 and was just trying to find someone who would know of a N J Hayes who did some amateur paintings about that time.
Thanks, Kathleen

Posted: 18 Jul 2012 11:25PM GMT
Hi
I am a direct descendant of Hillah Hayes 1819-1910 and Sitha White 1827-1900. I have small photos of them. They are the parents of Sarah who married my Gt. Grandfather David T S Monroe. Hillah and Sitha had a son, Albert. I have a photo of him too. I don't know where a George would fit in although it possibly refers to one of David and Sarah's sons, my grandfather. I'm not sure of the time line you're referring to. Let me know if I can help
Sheilagh Foster
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions