Search for content in message boards

Dr. James Bankhead

Dr. James Bankhead

Carey Bankhead (View posts)
Posted: 19 Nov 2003 4:33PM GMT
Classification: Query
My immigrant ancestor to America was a Dr. James Bankhead whose Will was proved in Westmoreland Co, VA in 1788. He is said to have been of the British Navy and a native of Scotland. He married Eleanor Monroe, and aunt of Pres. James Monroe.
Two of his sons became physicians, including my ancestor, Dr.John Bankhead. He and his brother, Dr. William, apparently went to Edinburgh for advanced medical training. Dr. John married the widow Mary Warner Lewis Lightfoot, a cousin of Gen'l Washington's.
Their son, Charles Lewis Bankhead, married Anne Cary Randolph, Mr. Jefferson's eldest grandchild. Their first born was John Warner Bankhead, who brought his young family to Missouri ca 1845, where our line has been to this date.
Other Bankhead lines came to America, one mentioning the given name Hugh quite a bit. Another is said to be Irish in origin.
I would welcome correspondence with anyone having knowledge of this surname.

Re: Dr. James Bankhead

Posted: 31 Mar 2013 12:16AM GMT
I have some information for you about Dr. James Bankhead that might help
Anne

Posted: 31 Mar 2013 5:55PM GMT
Surnames: Bankhead, Good, Gailey
I am also a descendant of the Bankhead family that left Scotland sometime around 1750. I would appreciate receiving any information about the Dr. James Bankhead you mentioned.

Thank you,

Jim Good
jimgood56@gmail.com

Posted: 21 Apr 2013 2:44AM GMT
Surnames: bankhead williams
My great grandmother was Flora Jane Bankhead and her father was Lewis James Bankhead..flora Jane married a Williams...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic