Search for content in message boards

Massachusetts migration patterns from East to West

Massachusetts migration patterns from East to West

Posted: 15 Sep 2009 10:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Does anyone have any ideas from which areas of Massachusetts a person entering West Stockbridge,Berkshire county in the 1760's may have come from. I can find the children of David Hutcheson on records there but no record of HIS birth, so he must have moved in. Just a shot in the dark.

All best,

Neil

Re: Massachusetts migration patterns from East to West

Posted: 15 Sep 2009 11:13PM GMT
My family,(Olmsted) came from Ware, MA, and bought land from the Stockbridge Indians (John Yokum and John Konaponk) in the Gore.

Posted: 16 Sep 2009 10:21AM GMT
Many early settlers came from CT - Litchfield, Hartford and New Haven counties.

Cornelia

Posted: 16 Sep 2009 1:13PM GMT
Surnames: Hutcheson, Hutchinson, Kidder
Hello. KIDDER is my main research of ~18 years, so I know a lot about them (most from the "KIDDER book"). The first family of 12 children were in Billerica, MA, and they mostly stayed in New England. That was the 1650 to 1700 timeframe. But, once 1700 came, they started leaving the Billerica and Chelmsford area and moving west to the Worcester, MA, area. And then one family went to the Killingly, CT, area. And, many of the children in those families headed north, a lot to the NH / VT border or the VT / NY border. And many from Billerica went up to "Maine." (the "Northern Territory of MA) I don't remember that any of those men or families went west to Berkshire County.

There are 2 books which I recommend as reference books for the early days, "history of Billerica" and "history of Chelmsford." Especially the Billerica book has a large genealogy section which often mentions where the men and families migrated to when they left that town. Perhaps there are other "town history" books which offer the same information. Is there a large book about the history of Worcester, or, Amherst or Springfield? As with the KIDDER book, they might tell where the families migrated to from there.

Or, come to think of it, is there a town-history for Pittsfield which might tell where the families came from when they settled there?

A related ancestor was George HUTCHINSON of 1600's Charlestown, MA, and he had many descendants. Unfortunately, no one has ever written a book about them. Several researchers have a data base of his descendants and of his brother, Thomas, but I don't know if the information includes where the families migrated to. There was a "HUTCHINSON Farm" in what is now Winchester, MA, from the 1720's until the present (sort of). The 2 halves of the Farm were sold out of family hands in ~1910 and ~1960. I know basic information about those families, but not about their relatives.

Betty (near Lowell, MA)

Posted: 16 Sep 2009 3:44PM GMT
My family came to Stockbridge from upper New York State in the 1880's

Posted: 16 Sep 2009 8:48PM GMT
My own Berkshire families came from Cape Cod (HANDY) and Killingly CT, (RUSSELL) but if you'd like a broader view of the early Berkshire settlement patterns, Google Books has several public-domain books on the history of various Berkshire county towns. Try these URLs:
http://books.google.com/books?q=berkshire+county+massachuset...

http://books.google.com/books?id=a3sdJbF5V0QC&dq=stockbr...

Posted: 17 Sep 2009 1:00PM GMT
Surnames: TUCKER, NEWTON, WORTHINGTON
Neil:

My TUCKER ancestors came from eastern MA area, settled in the Worcester area for a generation or two, before ending up in W. Stockbridge (and then on to Lenox).

However, I know many people in migrated up and down the CT River Valley. There used to be a list to this effect which you may want to track down. My TUCKER and his brother both married sisters (NEWTON and WORTHINGTON) that came from CT up the CT River, so .... it's certainly worth a post on that list (if it still exists).

Marilyn

Posted: 17 Sep 2009 1:09PM GMT
Surnames: TUCKER -- Stockbridge, Lenox, Albany
To reiterate what someone else has said, there were also regular travels between the Berkshires and the area around Albany, New York. My TUCKER ancestor and his brother went from Lenox to Albany, I believe following an uncle from Stockbridge in the previous generation. The Univ. of Albany has a good collection of genealogical and related materials.

Marilyn

Posted: 17 Sep 2009 2:32PM GMT
Thank you.

Neil

Posted: 17 Sep 2009 2:33PM GMT
Thank you.

Neil
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions