Search for content in message boards

Heraldic Outlines

Heraldic Outlines

bov (View posts)
Posted: 10 May 2003 2:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
Greetings,

Can anyone recommend an artist that would be able to make a black and white outline drawing of my coat of arms? I suppose that I could just use a paint program to delete the color, but I am not that talented. Thanks a lot, friends. Have a great day.

--bov

Re: Heraldic Outlines

Bruce C. Sherwood (View posts)
Posted: 11 May 2003 12:18AM GMT
If you submit a blazon, perhaps I, or one of us here, can help.
And do you want just the shield, or the complete achievement?

G2 (View posts)
Posted: 11 May 2003 11:27AM GMT
Why not attach a JPG/GIF file of your arms and we'll see what we can come up with for you.

Bov (View posts)
Posted: 11 May 2003 10:46PM GMT
Surnames: Boven
That is an excellent idea, friend. Attached, is a copy of the arms that I would like redone in an outline form. In case any one would like to know, these are canting arms that have a bow in the center and two vines. It would be nice to have the whole achievement outlined, but if only the shield can be done, I would like that. I hope to use what I get for a letterhead. I would appreciate any help that I can get. Have a great day.

--Dave
Attachments:

Steven B. Madewell (View posts)
Posted: 12 May 2003 1:15PM GMT
I'd rethink that coronet if you ever expect to get these arms stamped "KOSHER" by an official heraldic authority. Even if you only indeed to assume these arms ... such a coronet leaves much to be desired and will probably, at the very least, elicit a frown from heraldic purists and non-purists alike. Otherwise.... It's an interesting coat of arms. Be well....

Peace,

Steven

G2 (View posts)
Posted: 12 May 2003 2:27PM GMT
See attached file - is this the sort of thing you want?
What a shame that you didn't go to the artist that drew those arms for you - or don't you talk with him anymore?
Attachments:

G2 (View posts)
Posted: 12 May 2003 2:41PM GMT
What's wrong with the coronet? I believe that the surname is Dutch. It isn't a Dutch crown/coronet of rank - just an ornamental crown/coronet similar to a ducal coronet with no status at all.

Posted: 12 May 2003 4:33PM GMT
Am I missing something here? Dutch? The picture in Neubecker's has this coronet as being the coronet of an "Untitled Noble (Permitted)" from either Italy or Germany. Okay, ... I'm not up on WHO gets to be considered WHAT in this or that country, but ... I do know the SA BoH would not register this coronet due to their moratorium on coronets. They might go for a simple ducal/crest coronet as that carries no rank or status at all, at least in England, right? Is Mr. Boven a noble - untitled or otherwise? Can he prove descent from a hereditary noble or a noble class of people (i.e., some sort of sub-aristocracy or something) within a Germanic or Italian culture, etc.? Just curious.... Don't mean to make waves here. I'm just unsure about all the rules of who gets what in European heraldry. Frankly, ... it's a tangle! Guess the BoH is rather tired of separating the wheat from the chaff, so to speak, on such matters - hence the moratorium. Be well....

Peace,

Steven

Posted: 12 May 2003 5:29PM GMT
Perhaps he meant something more along these lines. He can always clean this up himself dot-by-dot as I've been doing. This took me about an hour to do. If I had the time I could help, but ... I'm swamped at the moment. :(

http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com/~heraldry/h_boven_d1.gi...

Peace,

Steven

bov (View posts)
Posted: 12 May 2003 7:40PM GMT
Well...it seems that the artist that I contacted originally may have biffed the coronet so I am not sure if he is reliable. :-) I knew that he participates in the board where I have posted my query and thought he might be able to catch me. It seems that he has.

--dave
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions