Search for content in message boards

Curfman and Montgomery Families of Huntingdon Cnty

Curfman and Montgomery Families of Huntingdon Cnty

Posted: 7 Feb 2008 2:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Curfman, Montgomery, Smith
I am looking for anyone researching and/or that has these individuals in their family info.

1) Daniel Montgomery m/Annie Curfman, Huntingdon Cnty., PA
Daniel was born c. 1800. Died c. 1850-1852. Annie remained in the Cassville area and died c. 1870-1880 (although, I have found her death date listed as 1859-1860 before, however, she can be found as late 1870.) Annie is a daughter of Jacob Curfman. Daniel and Annie had several children, including a Jacob C. Montgomery. (Have a bio about Jacob that mentions many of his Montgomery family.)

2) John Montgomery b. c. 1794. Married Susan Curfman. Susan was b. c. 1819 in PA. Susan's parent are unknown. Tring to find relationship between Susan Curfman and above Annie Curfman. This John and Daniel are believed to be brothers. John and Susan died in the Mapleton area of Huntingdon, Cnty. John d. c. 1862, Susan aft. 1880. Some of their children include; George W. b. c. 1840, Roseanna b. c. 1831 (may have married a Ewing?), Samuel b. c. 1835, Richard M. b. c. 1838, William b. c. 1840, Walter b. c. 1842, Miller T. b. c. 1853, Catharine A. b. c. 1839, John b. c. 1858, James S. b. c. 1833 may have d. Jul 1909 in Mapleton. Several of John and Susan's above listed children, however, are believed to have died very young and may be buried in the Mapleton or Brady Twnsp. area.

The above John and Daniel are believed to be sons of Richard Montgomery, who was b. in Ireland and likely died btw. 1830-1850. Richard may have lived in Mifflin Cnty., PA during the early 1800's...and I likely found him on the 1820 and 1830 censuses in that county. Additional children of Richard Montgomery include; Isaac, Hugh (both Hugh and Isaac 'went west'...I am tring to connect an Isaac and Hugh William without much doubt...have a lot of coincidental info at this time...if I can find proof positive, I have much more info on Isaac and Hugh and their descendants), Catherine (who married Isaac Smith and eventually moved on to Dickinson Cnty., KS), a Betsy (nothing known of her except that she may have married a couple of times), George (nothing known except he may have went to Iowa and may have worked on a boat or canal), Samuel (nothing known except that he may have moved "west of the Rockies"). Richard may have had a few more children, but they are unknown.

Any additional information on any of these people, families, or descendants is greatly appreciated! I will share what I do have, although it is fairly minimal at this time. Doesn't seem to be an incredible amount out there on this Montgomery family. I do not know at this time how/if they are closely related to other Montgomery's found in the area during the early-mid 1800's.

Also, interested and greatly appreciative of anybody who is willing to take a look in their Huntingdon County sources for any of these people!!! I would like to find burial locations, more precise dates, bios, wills...anything at all!

Thank you!

LaDonna

Re: Curfman and Montgomery Families of Huntingdon Cnty

Posted: 7 Feb 2008 6:11PM GMT
FINALLY!!!!! Someone else looking at the John Montgomery/Susan Curfman family!!! I'm at work and have no details with me - but can take a look as soon as I have time at home. Would love to compare notes! The Montgomerys have been a stumbling block for me and yes - Susan - can't find a set of parents either. However - I haven't taken a real hard look and need to get local and do some research.

FYI: John Montgomery and Susan Curfman are my GGG-grandparents.

Feel free to contact me directly: geneshop10@comcast.net

BTW - not sure if you are local or not - but I do have pics of the john montgomery/susan curfman stones (located Mapleton IOOF Cemetery) as well as the son James Montgomery and his wife Martha Corbin - and other Montgomerys as well. Would be glad to scan and share.

Posted: 7 Feb 2008 6:18PM GMT
I am not researching the Curfman line, but I do have an Isaac Curfman b. 15 Dec. 1812 Near Cassville, PA d. 17 Jun. 1884 Trough Creek Valley, Huntingdon Co, PA

marr. Mary Horton 09 October 1834

Found on the 1860 PA Census:
Isaac Curfman, 47
Mary, 45
John, 21
Oliver, 19
Catherine, 17
Margaret, 15
Mahala, 13
Susannah, 10
Clarissa, 5
Josiah Horton, 79 (Mary's father)

I have Isaac's parents as John Korffmann (later changed to Curfman) and Easter Barnett.

I also have a notation that TAYLOR CEMETERY located near the village of Todd in Todd township is/was also referred to as Curfman Cemetery.

Hope this is a clue for you.

Posted: 7 Feb 2008 6:57PM GMT
Curfman, Robert Joseph,
The Curfman-Kurfman-Corfman-Korffmann genealogy
Denver: Priv. print., 1971, 142 pgs.

Title: The Curfman-Kurfman-Corfman-Korffmann genealogy
Authors: Curfman, Robert Joseph,
City of Publication: Denver
Publisher: Priv. print.
Date: 1971
Page Count: 142
Notes: Includes bibliographical references (p. 127-133) and indexes.
ill., coat of arms, facsims., geneal. table, ports.
Reel/Fiche Number: Genealogy and local history ; G8227).
Subject Headings: Curfman family.
Kurfman family
Corfman family
Korffmann family

Primary Family Name: Curfman family.
Section Title
Front matter
Title page
Non-Indexed Pages #1
Preface and dedication
Contents
Introduction
Arms of Korffmann of Rheinhessen
The family in Europe
The family in America
Additional lineages
Miscellaneous records
Sources and references
Indexes
Ancestral chart of the Korffmann emigrants from Rheinhessen to Pennsylvania 1741 and 1764

You can read the book online at your computer.

THERE IS NO FEE FOR THIS SERVICE!

.....If you are a member in good standing of any library allowing on-line access to Heritage Quest, use your library card. In your browser's address bar type in www.(name of your library).com. In most library homesites there will be a clickable usually labeled "Online Databases OR Databases"
Next, find and click on: "Heritage Quest Online (remote access from home).."

Click on the link: usually, "Click Here to Enter Heritage Quest...." Type in your library barcode in the box provided. The form is a 14 digit or number series, e.g., "1rdcpl000000000".

One only has to call their local library for the Password.

HQ will present you with 5 search links to Census, Books, PERSI, Revolutionary War, and Freedman's Bank. Choose the one you want to search.

NOTE on Censuses: All available Census images are on-line, but not all are indexed. 1880, for example, is only partially indexed, but you can still view the images by switching to browse mode. Hint: You can search a transcription of the 1880 Census through the website: www.familysearch.org. Once you determine the page numbers use this HeritageQuest site to browse the actual images.
Complete U.S. Federal Census, 1790-1930. The page images and corresponding indexes for the entire census, 1790-1930 are included in HeritageQuest Online.

NOTE on Books: Many, Many of the traditional county histories (Goodspeed, etc.) are included in this data base. Searching for them is a bit different. Keep trying. Limited downloads are possible.

NOTE on PERSI: PERSI is an index to genealogical periodicals. The periodicals themselves are not online. They must be viewed at the Allen County Library (Ft. Wayne, IN) or a few other libraries. PERSI™ - The PERiodical Source Index is a comprehensive subject
index covering more than 6,500 genealogy and local history periodicals written in English and French (Canada) since 1800.

NOTE on Revolutionary War: This data base includes service and pension records of Revolutionary War veterans and their widows.
Revolutionary War Pension and Bounty Land Warrant Application Files.
This HeritageQuest collection details records of 80,000+ individuals who served in the Revolutionary War and contains both genealogical and historical information. Each veteran's file usually contains six or more
pages on each veteran and normally includes the veteran's former rank, unit, and period of service, age or date of birth, residence, and sometimes-genealogical information on other family members.

NOTE on Freedman's Bank: This bank was founded to serve the black community after the Civil War.

Posted: 15 Dec 2008 7:32PM GMT
Surnames: Curfman, Montgomery, Barnett
I believe the dates on Anna (Curfman) Montgomery are 18 Oct 1812-4 June 1870.

I am not directly related to Anna, but to her sister Catherine (Curfman) Barnett.

Posted: 16 Dec 2008 12:45AM GMT
Surnames: Curfman, Montgomery
Can you tell me anything more about this Curfman family? Annie married Daniel Montgomery. Daniel also had a brother, John Montgomery, who married a Susan Curfman. I'm sure Susan fits somewhere into these Curfman's in this same area...but I don't know how. I wondered if she was a sister to Annie, by chance, or a cousin? Do you know who all the siblings are of Annie? I don't have any of them....I guess there was a Catherine? That would make sense....one of Annie and Daniel Montgomery's children I believe was named Catherine.

Thanks!

LaDonna

Posted: 16 Dec 2008 12:58AM GMT
Surnames: Curfman, Montgomery, Barnett, Snare
Hi LaDonna,

Here's what I have. Jacob Curfman (1776 in Washington Co., MD - 1860 in Union, Huntingdon, PA) married Elizabeth Snare (1778-1850). They had the following children that I know of--though there may be more:

Daniel Curfman 1799-1870
Catherine (Curfman) Barnett abt. 1800-1877
Jacob Curfman 1804-1860
Anna (Curfman) Montgomery 1812-1870

Don't know anything about Susan.

Posted: 16 Dec 2008 2:59PM GMT
Surnames: Curfman
There's a published Curfman/Kurfman genealogy. I think the author was a Robert Curfman from Colorado, perhaps; haven't looked at it for a good while. It's a hard bound book and traces them back to Germany. Huntingdon County Historical Society may have a copy; perhaps also LDS or a major genealogical library. (I am a Philip Barnett descendant.)

Posted: 16 Dec 2008 5:54PM GMT
Surnames: Deeder, Curfman, Barnett
I am a descendent of Daniel Curfman and Susannah Barnett via their daughter Sophia who married Issac Deeter. The Deeters along with several of Sophia siblings moved from Huntingdon County to Pike County, IL after Daniel Curfman's death in 1847.

I am researching all branches of the Deeter/Deeder, Curfman, Barnett ancestors and descendents and would like to exchange data.
Ken Schroeder
Mundelein, IL

Posted: 16 Dec 2008 6:24PM GMT
I'll be happy to share... please email me privately so that I can send you a file.
Jen
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions