Search for content in message boards

Betty/Bob Workman

Betty/Bob Workman

Posted: 21 Jan 2011 4:08AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello: I am looking for anyone who has information about or might have known my birth parents, Betty and Bob Workman, who lived in Huntington, WV in the 1940s and 1950s. Betty Louise, whose maiden name was Campbell, was born in Huntington in 1921 and continued to live in Huntington until she died in 1992. She remarried around 1970 and became Betty Cazad. Bob was born in Covington, Ky., in 1916 and lived for a number of years in Logan, WV, before marrying Betty and moving to Huntington. I am trying to gather information about Betty and Bob for a possible book. Thank you for your help.
Frank Christlieb,
Arlington, TX

Re: Betty/Bob Workman

Posted: 15 Dec 2011 6:45PM GMT
Frank, are you interested in their life before marriage?
ie: your grandparents, aunts/uncles?
Find it interesting you are up to date on their lives until the late 1990's. Is Bob still alive? Still in WV?
willing to help... just wanting to know if you are looking at before marriage or after.

Posted: 20 Jan 2012 6:21AM GMT
Dear Joyce:
Hello there. I'm so sorry to be so late getting back to you! The holidays and work and family got in the way!

Thank you for taking an interest in my story. It's actually quite complicated, and I hate to bore you with all the details. But to answer your question: No, my birth father Bob Workman actually drowned in Tampa in 1962. My birth mother Betty died of lung cancer in 1992 -- sadly, 13 years before I found my 3 older birth siblings in 2005. We have become very close.

In a nutshell (sort of!): Betty and Bob were married for 20 years, living in Huntington, WV (and Logan from about 1948-51). They had 3 kids (my older siblings), then got divorced in 1959. Well, as a DNA test my birth siblings and I had in 2005 proved, about a year after the divorce, Betty and Bob managed to conceive me. We have no idea what the circumstances were. Betty then put me up for adoption at birth in Feb. 1961 in Huntington, and my adoptive family moved to Houston when I was a baby. Bob, who was an alcoholic and, sadly, molested my siblings, then faded out of the picture and moved to Tampa later in 1960. He was homeless and jobless when he picked a fight with another drunken homeless man in July 1962, was pushed into the Hillsborough River and drowned. Very, very sad.

Anyway...my siblings have told me a lot about their childhood and our family, and my oldest brother and I are working on a book. But I'm still heavily into the research phase, trying to find people who knew my birth parents. It hasn't been easy, but I have found quite a few who've been able to share some memories.

So....although I am interested in my family's ancestry, etc., the main thing I'm trying to do for the book is find people who can share memories of my birth family. Our parents were only children, so there are no first cousins. Just in the past month, I have found several second cousins, who are all well into their 80s. Some of them knew my birth father.

I'm not sure what help you can provide, unless you have WV connections. I'm cold-calling lots of old-timers in Huntington trying to get lucky and find folks who knew Betty and Bob.

If you'd like, please email me at frank.christlieb@yahoo.com and we can see if you might have any suggestions for me. Our ancestry.com account is actually my wife Kay's, so it might be easier to correspond by email.

Thank you so much!!

Sincerely,
Frank Christlieb
Arlington, TX
frank.christlieb@yahoo.com
817-995-1914

Posted: 22 Jan 2012 1:57AM GMT
No relation here. Glad to know where you are at the starting pont for your research.
Glad you found second cousins. Work with them. Use all accesses available in finding family members. Whitepages.com, google them. No WV relation here.

Joyce

Posted: 22 Jan 2012 5:53AM GMT

Thanks so much, Joyce. I have definitely found all the living cousins left to find who would've known either of my birth parents, and they didn't have much in the way of memories to share about Betty and/or Bob -- mostly because B&B were so much older than these cousins. I wish I had started searching for my birth family years ago, but unfortunately, I didn't seriously start until about 2004, when I was already almost 44 years old. But I do have a very close bond with my 3 older siblings, and that is the best part of all this. As I probably mentioned, I am trying to write a book, but I don't want to start writing until I feel I've exhausted all the research possibilities.

If you're interested, I wrote a story last Mother's Day about my birth mother for The Dallas Morning News, where I'm a copy editor. Here is the link to that story, which includes some 60-year-old music recordings of my birth parents (Betty singing and Bob playing bass) performing with a dance band in Logan, WV, in the early 1950s.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/local-news/20110507-essay-a-s...

Again, thanks for your interest and for responding to my note!

Best wishes to you and yours,
Frank Christlieb
Arlington, TX
per page

Find a board about a specific topic