Search for content in message boards

James D. COLE 9 Feb 1791 married 5 Nov 1806 in Bedford County, VA Eglantine "Tiny" LEFTWICH

James D. COLE 9 Feb 1791 married 5 Nov 1806 in Bedford County, VA Eglantine "Tiny" LEFTWICH

Posted: 22 Oct 2006 10:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: COLE, LEFTWICH, WASHINGTON, HOPKINS
I am looking for the parents the Elder James D. Cole born 9 Feb 1791 died 3 May 1853 in Lincoln County, Tennessee burial at Wiley-Cole Cemetery. He was blind Elder (preacher) at Concord Primitive Baptist Church in Lincoln County, Tennessee. He married on 5 Nov 1806 in Bedford County, Virginia Eglantine "Tiny" Leftwich daughter of Col Littleberry Leftwich and Fances (Fanny) Hopkins.

It has been said that Elder James D. Cole (NOT PROVEN) could be the son of George Washington COLE and Letitia WASHINGTON. I have been told that James D. COLE was originally from North Carolina, and Leititia WASHINGTON is said to be the niece of President George Washington NOT PROVEN or what the connection to President George Washington might be.

Can anyone with documentaion prove who the parents are of the Elder James D. COLE. His siblings may have been (NOT PROVEN) Matthew, Peter, Stephen, William and John COLE all may have been born in NC.

Anyone with information on this ellusive family please email me at jmdgenealogy@yahoo.com

Thank you.

Joy

Re: James D. COLE 9 Feb 1791 married 5 Nov 1806 in Bedford County, VA Eglantine "Tiny" LEFTWICH

Posted: 19 Dec 2006 1:18AM GMT
Surnames: Cole, Moores
I am a Cole descendant from Prentiss County, MS. My grandmother was Eddie Avery Cole Lester d/o Sebern Thomas Cole s/o Edmund Cole s/o Jesse Sebern Cole s/o John H. Cole s/o Henry Cole

I am also a descendant of James D. and Tiny Cole through their daughter Frances "Fannie" Cole Moores.

Re: James D. COLE 9 Feb 1791 married 5 Nov 1806 in Bedford County, VA Eglantine "Tiny" LEFTWICH

Posted: 19 Dec 2006 3:43AM GMT
Surnames: Cole, Leftwich
Hello,

Please email me at jmdgenealogy@yahoo.com so we can compare notes.

Thank you.
Joy

Posted: 31 Dec 2006 3:53AM GMT
Surnames: FLOYD, HOPKINS, LEFTWICH, MILLINDER/MILLINER, MOSLEY, PEATROSS
Hi All,

My husband's family is connected to the LEFTWICH line. Here's what I have:

Augustine LEFTWICH (abt 1715, VA -- abt 1795, Goose Creek, Bedford Co., VA) m Mary MOSLEY (abt 1720, Bedford Co., VA --abt 1777, ??). They had at least 12 children which included;

Littleberry m Frances HOPKINS
and, Nancy who married James PEATROSS.

Amy PEATROSS (d/o Nancy LEFTWICH & James PEATROSS)m John MILLINDER/MILLINER. Their son, Henry L. Mark MILLINDER (born abt 1826, TN or VA -- ??) m Martha J. FLOYD. These are my husband's 2nd great grandparents.

Please excuse any errors, I have not verified all of this data myself.

Any information would be appreciated,
Linda Cashen Gaunt

Posted: 31 Dec 2006 4:36AM GMT
Surnames: Leftwich, Cole
Hi Linda,

Who are the parents of your Nancy Leftwich? and when was Nancy Leftwich born?

My husband's line is from Elder James D. Cole and Eglantine "Tiny" Leftwich. If you are from this line, email me at jmdgenealogy@yahoo.com so we can compare notes.

Thank you.

Joy

Posted: 18 Sep 2008 1:16AM GMT
Linda, You & I have been in touch before in reference to the Gant/Gaunt line in Caroline Co. I noticed the name James Peatross in this query. Is this James related to the Peatross family of Caroline Co? I have a James son of Matthew & Amy Catlett b abt 1762. Do not have a wife for him.Any info appreciated.
Ollie

Posted: 20 Sep 2008 3:39AM GMT
Surnames: Cole
I saw your notice online about James D Cole. This is my husbands ggg-grandfather on his mothers side. Do any of you have any records about his parents? I would appreciate any help from anyone. Thanks Bigmamalake@netscape.com

Posted: 20 Sep 2008 9:23AM GMT
Surnames: CATLETT, LEFTWICH, MILLINDER/MILLINER, PEATROSS/PATRIS,
Hi Ollie,

Good "talking" with you again. This PEATROSS/LEFTWICH line married into my husband's (GAUNT) mother's side, MILLINDER/MILLINER.

Yes, I have James s/o Matthew PEATROSS/PATRIS and Amy CATLETT of Caroline Co., VA.

I show James PEATROSS married to Nancy LEFTWICH d/o Augustine LEFTWICH (abt 1712, New Kent (Caroline) Co., VA -- 1795, "Leftwich Hall" Goose Neck Creek, Bedford Co., VA) & Mary MOSLEY (1720, Bedford Co., VA -- 1777, ?).

They were the parents of Amy PEATROSS (b abt 1782, VA -- ??) m John MILLINDER (b abt 1778, VA -- probably TN) These are the third great grandparents of my husband.

Sources:
Leftwich Historical Association
http://leftwich.org/augustin1.htm

Hopkins, Walter Lee, Leftwich-Turner Families of Virginia and Their Connections, "Electronic," 68, m James Peatross.

Slater, Martha Strong, Annie Laurie Beauchamp, 1884-1965: Her Ancestors and Allied Families in Virginia, Maryland ..., "Electronic," 180.

Mike Tepper, Genealogical Publishing Company, Encyclopedia of Quaker Genealogy, Vol. VI, Bedford County Marriage Bonds
Extracted from the appendix in Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy, Vol VI, Virginia. (Marriages are NOT Quaker)
http://www.rootsweb.com/~vabedfor/bedf-mar.htm

Descendants of Matthew Patris, "Electronic," (not 100% sure of this family attachment to Matthew?).

Bedford County, Virginia Marriage Bonds, "Electronic," Dec. 8, 1804; John Millner & Amey Peatross, dt James; Richard D. Haden, Surety; Married by Richard Pope, Dec. 9, 1804.

Hersey, Virginia Sharpe, Those Southern Milners: A Collection of Record Abstracts..., "Electronic," 302, m Amy Peatross.

Please excuse any errors, I have not verified all this data myself.

I have researched the LEFTWICH, PEATROSS lines, but have done no work on the COLE line. I don't show parents for John D. COLE.

Linda Cashen Gaunt

Posted: 20 Sep 2008 3:35PM GMT
Linda good to hear from you again also. I am also related to the Turners from Caroline & King William. I think I looked at the Leftwich book years ago but didn't find a connection to my Turners. Since I have more info on them now I guess I will have to revisit the Lefwich history to see what I can find. Thanks for the info on James Peatross. keep in touch.
Ollie

Posted: 20 Sep 2008 3:35PM GMT
Linda good to hear from you again also. I am also related to the Turners from Caroline & King William. I think I looked at the Leftwich book years ago but didn't find a connection to my Turners. Since I have more info on them now I guess I will have to revisit the Lefwich history to see what I can find. Thanks for the info on James Peatross. keep in touch.
Ollie
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions