Search for content in message boards

Venting about the org. Family Tree that now has merged with ancestry.com Family Tree

Venting about the org. Family Tree that now has merged with ancestry.com Family Tree

Posted: 4 Aug 2010 6:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Ok, I have held off as long as I could from having to use the Family Tree that has merged with ancestry.com in the last few years. I hate it!!!!! :(
The org. Family Tree was so easy and then I have added by hand name for my Family Tree on line at ancestry.com I have Windows XP and my computer is slow and knew I need to do something so I bought a new computer Windows 7. So then I thought well I'm use to ancestry.com on-line Familt Tree so I'll just buy that and install it on my new computer. I am now sooooooooooooooo lost!!!!!!! The CD isn't anything like the Family tree on-line at all. I can't express enough how much I hate it. For years now I have heard how others have said they hated it, but didn't really understand.....BUT now I do that's for sure. I even know a couple of people who do not work on their tree anymore because of the format that's how much they hate it. I am so upset of how this format is and yes, I am use to the org. Family tree which was so much more user friendly I just loved it any many others do also. I am going to try and give this a chance but I am just heart broken and it takes the spark out of me for wanting to do it anymore. I use to love the search and helping others and now it does not make me happy at all! :(

Re: Venting about the org. Family Tree that now has merged with ancestry.com Family Tree

Posted: 4 Aug 2010 10:57AM GMT
Theresa,

Want to help you out, but don't know where to start.

What CD are you having a problem with?

Are you talking about the Family Tree Maker Program? Since you posted your message on the Family Tree Maker message board, I am guessing that is what you are venting about.

If so, what Version of Family Tree Maker are you using. (Help, About will tell you that).

Yes, there is a difference in using an Online Member Family Tree and the Family Tree Maker program.

Have you looked at the Guide PDF file that is on that CD?

Have you looked at the Online Tutorial that can be found in the Help Menu?

Have you watched the Video on Family Tree Maker that is also found in the Help Menu?

Can you provide a specific example of one of the issues that you have with the program that makes you hate it?

Thank you,

Russ

Re: Venting about the org. Family Tree that now has merged with ancestry.com Family Tree

Posted: 4 Aug 2010 11:11AM GMT
Theresa

You did not say what version of FTM you installed on your Windows 7 computer but I assume it is FTM 2010.

When I decided I was going to have to replace my Windows XP computer I installed FTM 2010. FTM 2010 is a steep learning curve but I have found it worthwhile. I took timeout from research to play with all the work spaces and learn how to use them. I found many inconsistencies in my place names that I have resolved. I found FTM 2006 text editor and spell check allowed many errors that FTM 2010 found. I have since corrected these errors.

If you do not like the automatic search of Ancestry.com you can turn it off. Go to Tools, Options. I have turned off the automatic search of Ancestry but that is a personal preference.

Curt

Posted: 4 Aug 2010 1:46PM GMT
Russ,

From what I can gather she is unhappy that the Ancestry Family Tree program and the Ancestry World Tree were replaced with Family Tree Maker and Ancestry Member Trees.

It also appears that she, like many others, thinks the Member Trees are merely an online version of Family Tree Maker and doesn't realize that they are totally different and distinct applications.

Posted: 4 Aug 2010 2:24PM GMT
Andy,

You may be right in that. I just want to make sure we all know what the frustration (venting) is about so that we, all of us, can address the issue(s).

Thank you,

Russ

Re: attn: Russ - Venting about the org. Family Tree that now has merged with ancestry.com Family Tree

Posted: 8 Aug 2010 12:55AM GMT
About 12 years ago I started doing my family tree. Back then there was a CD called Family Tree Maker. And I loved it...it was easy to use and understand. That company if I understand right merged there Family Tree Program with ancestry.com.
I have a new laptop and had no choice other than to buy the new ancestry.com Tree Maker Program. Over the last few years I have entered info by hand to the on-line family tree because I did not have the ancestry.com program. I now have it on my laptop which is the newest version I just got a couple of months ago and I HATE it!!!!!! I am not the only one who feels that way. Most back then were using the Org.Family Tree Program. I do not think it's user friendly at all and I am so unhappy about it. ;( As of right now I don't even want to work on my tree it took my passion and spark for it away.

Re: attn: Russ - Venting about the org. Family Tree that now has merged with ancestry.com Family Tree

Posted: 8 Aug 2010 2:28AM GMT
Theresa,

There is one Family Tree Maker PROGRAM. Yes, it has had a number of Versions. Each of the Versions of Family Tree Maker have an installation CD. NOTHING to do with Ancestry.com.

A couple of years ago, Ancestry.com did take ownership of the development of the Program, but the program still has the Family Tree Maker program name. Still runs on a PC, Still is installed from a CD.

Nothing was Merged. The only thing that changed was ownership.

There is no Ancestry.com Tree Maker Program that I am aware of. Ancestry.com DOES have an Online Tree, currently called a Member Family Tree, where all of the work is done Online. You CAN upload and download information from the PC to the Internet and the Internet to the PC. Family Tree Maker on the PC and the Member Family Tree online.

Any time you Upload a Tree from your PC, you create a New Member Family Tree online. Anytime you download a tree (file) to your PC, you create a new family file on your PC.

I am sorry that you don't like the program that is on your Laptop. What is the Program you are using and what is it's version number (Help, About)?

What is the "Org.Family Tree Program"? Don't know that one either. Who developed that program?

Just trying to understand what the venting is all about. I understand that you are not happy, and are frustrated, but not sure as what.

I find that the Family Tree Maker program is very helpful and I use it almost daily for my family research.

Russ

Re: The Family Tree Program by Broderbund NOT the ancestry Family Tree.

Posted: 16 Aug 2010 4:21AM GMT
When I first started doing my family tree every told me to get "The Family Tree Program by Broderbund" a few years back when I want to update my program I was told that The Family Tree Program by Broderbund was merged/bought by ancestry.
What I've been trying to tell everyone when I was venting is that the Family Tree Program by Broderbund was so user friendly and easy to use and 90% of people back then used it and told me to get that program. So now I have ancestry program which to me is NOT user friendly makes everything so much harder and complicated. I have been so upset and now don't even feel like searching anymore. It took the thrill right out of it. ;(

Posted: 16 Aug 2010 8:51AM GMT
Theresa- if you are unhappy with FTM there are many other new programs out there. Find one you like.

We all reach a point where we have to make a choice.

We either have to upgrade to newer programs that can take advantage of newer technology or we have to forgo upgrading to newer technology so that we can continue to run old outdated programs.

That is the reality...
and all the ranting in the world ain't gonna change it one bit.

Posted: 16 Aug 2010 9:41AM GMT
Theresa,

At one point in time, for a very short period, yes, Broderbund did own / develop the Family Tree Maker program. Now, Ancestry.com owns and develops it.

The problem, of that old version, that I am guessing you are referring to, was DOS based, a very old platform for programming. In 2008, the program was re-written so that it could move forward, find developers who could update the program, and bring the program into the 21 century.

There were many changes that took place, from a User Interface stand point.

Do the screens have more information on them, yes. But the Navigation not as difficult. In other words, less mouse clicks to get from one task to another.

Does that make is less user friendly, perhaps, but when you work with the new User Interface, it does become User Friendly.

If you don't like the new version of the Program, that is understandable, just go back to the Version of Family Tree Maker that you are comfortable with.

But, you may be missing out on some of the great new features that are in the new version.

Russ
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions