Search for content in message boards

FAWCETTs of Yorkshire & Cumberland 1700s

FAWCETTs of Yorkshire & Cumberland 1700s

Posted: 11 Feb 2009 2:09AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: FAWCETT, FARISH, ROLFE

Hi There,

My 4XGGrandmother was Dorothy FAWCETT (1764 Dent Yorkshire?-1840 Sheffield Yorkshire). Her marriage to James FARISH (MD Cambridge,1756-1834)in 1787 is mentioned on P:181 of the Rolfe Family Records: Volume II. As well as at least 9 of her siblings.

In the snippet view on Google Books it mentions her sister Eleanor FAWCETT (1770- ) m.her cousin Rev John Fawcett, Rowland FAWCETT (of Scaleby Castle, 1768-1831) m.Frances Mercy FARISH (1763-1840) & Edward FAWCETT m.Eliza Grisdale.

I know the FARISHs are the son and daughter of the Rev James Farish (Vic of Stanwix, 1714-1793) & Elizabeth GILPIN (1726-1802). Daughter of Captain John Bernard GILPIN (1701-1776)

Would anybody maybe able to assist me to find out who the FAWCETTs are and what the ROLFE connection is? (Without having to go to London & borrow the book)

Best Regards
Mark
Sydney

Re: FAWCETTs of Yorkshire & Cumberland 1700s

Posted: 11 Apr 2009 4:01AM GMT
Hi Mark,

Could you tell me about the 'Rolfe Family Records Volume II' please

Maureen in Sydney

Posted: 14 Apr 2009 8:51AM GMT

Dear Maureen,

Sorry for the delay in my reply but I have been up the coast for Easter. To answer your question see below from google books:

Rolfe Family Records: Volume II
By Robert William Theodore Gunther, Amy Neville Rolfe Günther, Lilian Clarke, Albert Guenther
Published by Printed for the authors by Hazell, Watson & Viney, ld., 1914, Original from the University of Virginia
Digitized 23 May 2008, 415 pages

It is most notable as a primary source for people researching the family of John Rolfe (c. 1585 – 1622)one of the early English settlers of North America. He is credited with the first successful cultivation of tobacco as an export crop in the Colony of Virginia and is known as the husband of Pocahontas, daughter of the chief of the Powhatan Confederacy.

Last week I obtained a micro filmed copy via the LDS and pages 180 to 196 detail "The Fawcett Family" (Listed as a chapter of one of the female contributors to the line). It begins with John Fawcett of Ravenseat in Swaledale (no dates), then John Fawcett of Cowgill ( He came from Ravenseat circa 1680), then John Fawcett of Broadfield, Dent, West Riding who married Isabel Haygarth and so on.

Don't know if this Fawcett line is of interest to you but I now have copies of theses pages if you would like copies. I have not determined the connection or distance to John Rolfe (c. 1585 – 1622) yet but hope to with my next visit to my LDS centre.

Best Regards
Mark
Sydney

Posted: 12 Jun 2009 10:56AM GMT
hi, my name is jayne. I am researching my grandmothers side of the family. her name was mary ann fawcett,her father Thomas
Mary ann lived and was married in cumberland
\mary ann married a McClellan and then a Slater.
Imigrated to Australia in the early 1950's.
Any info would be great
Thanks
jayne

Posted: 13 Jun 2009 4:11AM GMT
Dear Jayne,

Would love to help, my 3GGreatgrandmother was a FAWCETT and my family line runs down through British India, South Africa & the USA to Australia in 1918. The FAWCETT side goes back through Cambridge and Westmoreland to Dent in Yorkshire in Abt 1692. In my search I have put together alot of FAWCETT information and happy to share. What more do you know about Thomas.

Best Regards Mark

Posted: 18 Jun 2009 9:55AM GMT
Dear Mark
Hi. I am new at researching and am finding it difficult to figure out who is actually related as they all have the same name and around the same year.
I am trying to see if there are any close relatives out there. My gmother Mary Ann I think had quite a few brothers and sisters. Mary Ann married a McClelland and a slater.
I know she lived in Whitehaven, Cumberland. Mary Ann had 2 daughters Pheobe born 1923 and Jane born 1918.
I would appreciate any help.

Posted: 11 Jan 2011 9:23AM GMT
Surnames: Fawcett, Rolfe, Neville-Rolfe
Hi Mark Maureen and Jane

I am a Neville Rolfe descendant and I have access to the Rolfe Family Records, although packed away at the moment. I also have a family tree on Genes Reunited which contain quite a few of these Fawcetts starting with James Fawcett (1730-1803) m Agnes Stephenson (1734-1790),..

Alicia
Auckland, NZ

Posted: 16 Jan 2011 3:15AM GMT

Hi Alicia,

Great to hear from you!

Since my last posting I have done a lot of work tracing most of the lines associated with the 10 known children of James Fawcett & Agnes Stephenson, partly due to my own family connections but mostly because they turned out to be such and interesting bunch. Also, the cross family connections enable me to prove my line being descended from 3 of the most notable owners / residents’ families of Scaleby Castle namely the Gilpins, Stephensons & the Fawcetts.

I don’t know if this may be of assistance but I recently came across a full on-line copy of the Rolfe volumes which is where I got some of the best breakthroughs in information about my Fawcett / Rolfe lines, this site also allows you to search and to print PDFs of text and images.

http://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/cdm4/browse.php?CISOROOT=/FH31&...

Best Regards

Mark

Posted: 5 Mar 2011 5:13PM GMT
Thank you so much for that link Mark. Alicia had sent some info about two years ago about the Fawcetts, who I have been investigating for a friend (a Mr Fawcett, descendant of Rowland Hill Fawcett) and your suggestion is a gold mine. Yes they are an interesting bunch aren't they.

Thanks again, Margaret

Posted: 7 Mar 2011 5:54AM GMT
Surnames: Fawcett,Small,McBride,Conaway,possibly Courtney also Parker maybe.
Hi Maureen, May I have a copy of The Fawcett Family Rolfe Family Records: Volume II
By Robert William Theodore Gunther, Amy Neville Rolfe Günther, Lilian Clarke, Albert Guenther
Published by Printed for the authors by Hazell, Watson & Viney, ld., 1914, Original from the University of Virginia
Digitized 23 May 2008, 415 pages

It is most notable as a primary source for people researching the family of John Rolfe (c. 1585 – 1622)one of the early English settlers of North America. He is credited with the first successful cultivation of tobacco as an export crop in the Colony of Virginia and is known as the husband of Pocahontas, daughter of the chief of the Powhatan Confederacy.

Last week I obtained a micro filmed copy via the LDS and pages 180 to 196 detail "The Fawcett Family" (Listed as a chapter of one of the female contributors to the line). It begins with John Fawcett of Ravenseat in Swaledale (no dates), then John Fawcett of Cowgill ( He came from Ravenseat circa 1680), then John Fawcett of Broadfield, Dent, West Riding who married Isabel Haygarth and so on.

Don't know if this Fawcett line is of interest to you but I now have copies of theses pages if you would like copies. Maureen I would love to have a copy if you would be so kind to send me one my name is Hughie Fawcett from Greensburg,PA USA an my email address is lkyspgot57@aol.com an if that doesn't work try lkyspgot57@ancestry.com Thank You so much. Yours Truly . Hughie Fawcett
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions