Search for content in message boards

Ancestry DNA linking to family tree

Ancestry DNA linking to family tree

Posted: 1 Dec 2012 7:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi all.
When starting my family trees I originally did a family tree for each grandparent so I kept everything organized (4 total trees). I just ordered a DNA kit recently but noticed that it will only link to one family tree.

Should I merge all 4 trees together to be able to link any relatives this connects me to?
Thanks!

Re: Ancestry DNA linking to family tree

Posted: 1 Dec 2012 8:09PM GMT
Yes.

Posted: 3 Dec 2012 3:31AM GMT
you can also create a new tree just for your dna matches so you can still keep your research trees organized the way you want but can add your new dna finds to your dna tree.

Posted: 10 Mar 2013 12:38AM GMT
MARY ELLEN - DON'T HAVE AN ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION BUT I HAVE BEEN THINKING OF DOING THE DNA ALSO. IF YOU DO IT, LET ME KNOW IF IT WORKS.

ALSO I HAVE NOT RUN ACROSS ANY OF THE NAMES YOU LISTED FOR THE STEPHENS FAMILY OF VIRGINIA. I AM JUST STARTING MY SEARCH AND HAVE FOUND SOMEONE WHO IS DOING IT ALSO BUT THEY ARE GOING BACKWARDS TO ENGLAND. I HAVE NOT BROUGHT MINE UP TO DATE AT THIS POINT.

YOU ARE WELCOME TO LOOK AT MY LINE BUT THERE IS NOTHING MUCH IN IT.

ENJOYED READING YOUR NOTE--IF YOU NEED TO ASK ABOUT ANYONE IN PARTICULAR MY EMAIL IS FFRAZIERLAKE@GMAIL.COM.

MY GREAT GRANDFATHER WAS IN THE CIVIL WAR AND THAT IS WAHT INTERESTED ME ABOUT HIM. HE WAS FROM AMHERST CO VIRGINIA, AND I THINK HIS FAMILY ENDED UP IN ORANGE CO VIRGINIA NEAR CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA. HE ENDED UP IN ELAMSVILLE, VIRGINIA WHICH IS OUT IN THE COUNTRY IN PATRICK COUNTY.

I WILL POST MORE AS I GO. THANK YOU FOR INQUIRIG.

FRANCES FRAZIER

Posted: 10 Mar 2013 1:08AM GMT
Surnames: Stephens
Thanks Frances, I did go through and do the DNA test. It's been very interesting however the Stephens side of my family tree is still a mystery to me. I've been able to go back to my GGgrandfather who I think is George Stephens (1784-1870 from VA) but that's it. I think he married a Catherine Dempsey, however I have not been able to find many sources to confirm this so I'm still working.

I totally recommend doing the DNA test, I'm coming up with a lot of results. The only crummy thing is that many of my matches are from people who haven't linked their dna test to anyone on their family tree yet, or they have all their trees as private. I have had to go through each result one at a time to check so it's taking time to go through the matches, but other than that, it's been beneficial.

I actually used part of this year's tax refund and bought a second dna test for my paternal aunt (on the Stephens side). You have to produce a bit of spit for the test, and my father wasn't able to do that because of radiation treatments for lymphoma from years ago (that's something to consider when ordering the DNA test).

My email is maryellens517@yahoo.com, and I'll definitely keep your email as a resource. Ironically my father and his siblings grew up with a Frazier family in the 50s and 60s in DC. :)

Posted: 12 Mar 2013 3:27PM GMT
no, keep your organization.
every few months download your trees.
put them together.
create a pedigree-only for each person you have dna data for.
upload those gedcoms to ancestry
hook the dna data to the pedigrees.

Posted: 13 Mar 2013 9:11AM GMT
a general comment: I have 8 Ancestry Family trees, 2 of which are Public - one maternal line and other paternal.
When I took the DNA test, I could only link to one tree which caused a problem. After scurrying to add the bare bones pedigree of paternal to maternal tree, I see the advantage of a single DNA tree. I did this for 23andme and it works.
You as Home Person to as many generations you can prove with name dob dod and location.

Posted: 17 Apr 2013 9:58PM GMT
Edited: 18 Apr 2013 1:08PM GMT
I have a pretty crazy, but accurate tree. Both my parents' lines are in one tree, BUT, my Dad was adopted, so a good portion of it is moot. Further, I have included my ex-husband's tree as well, and administer his DNA test. So both tests are linked to the same tree.

I have a great deal more matches than the ex does, but there has never been any confusion on Ancestry's part between the two tests and the one tree.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic