Search for content in message boards

Eleanor Turnbull née Casement > Jamaica

Eleanor Turnbull née Casement > Jamaica

Anonymous (View posts)
Posted: 20 Nov 2007 11:24AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Turnbull, Casement, Musson
I am looking for information on the death of Eleanor (or Ellinor) Turnbull née Casement, the wife of the David Turnbull, writer from Glasgow. I believe he was the David Turnbull who published “Travels in the West: Cuba; with notices of Porto Rico, and the Slave Trade" in 1840 and was British Consul to Havanna between 1840 and 1844. After he was expelled from Cuba, he was appointed H.M. Judge of the Court of Mixed Commission in Jamaica. He married Alice Musson in Jamaica in 1844. I think Eleanor died between 1840 and 1844, possibly in Jamaica. Any help will be appreciated.

Re: Eleanor Turnbull née Casement

Posted: 2 Jul 2008 6:58AM GMT
Hi, My great great grandmother was Eleanor Turnbull, from Northumberland, England. Born in the late 1800's. She married a William Grieve. Did your Eleanor Turnbull have any children? Trying to locate parents for my great great grandmother. Thank you.

Re: Eleanor Turnbull née Casement

Anonymous (View posts)
Posted: 2 Jul 2008 8:21AM GMT
My Eleanor Turnbull, was born 30 May 1805 and had no children

Re: Eleanor Turnbull née Casement > Jamaica

Posted: 2 Oct 2013 5:39PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Kerr, Turnbull
I was looking for Mr Turnbull's wife's name and found this thread. She is mentioned alive in 1850 but not by first name.
from my GG-Grand Mother's journal (1850), Washington D.C. (Lucy HS Kerr writing)
March 11th & 12th .... After dinner, Mr. Kerr made the acquaintance of Mr. Turnbull, formerly the British Con=
sul General at Havanna, now commissioner at Jamaica, and as soon as he heard my Father was an Englishman, he begged to be introduced to me, and then presented me to his Wife, whom I found to be an intelligent and interesting lady. She told me she was struck by my face the moment she saw it, it was " so English". I sang for them and they were evidently much moved by the simple song "Erin is my home."

Re: Eleanor Turnbull née Casement > Jamaica

Anonymous (View posts)
Posted: 3 Oct 2013 2:56AM GMT
Classification: Marriage
Surnames: Turnbull, Casement, Musson
Thanks for sharing the information from your Your GG-Grandmother's journal . It refers to David Turnbull's second wife, Alice.

His first wife, Eleanor Turnbull née Casement, died in Jamaica in 1843. The burial register for Spanish Town, Jamaica, records that Eleanor Turnbull, wife of David Turnbull Esquire, died aged 36 and was buried on 29 Dec 1843 in the Church Yard of St Andrews in the County of Surrey, Jamaica. Her last abode was given as Spring Garden. The burial ceremony was performed by Alrand Campbell, Rector.

David married again seven months later. The marriage register for St Andrews parish in the County of Surrey, Jamaica, records that: “David Turnbull Esquire, British Commissioner of the British and Portuguese Mixed Commission for the suppression of the slaver trade and Alice Paynter Grant, widow, both of this parish, were married by Licence on the first day of August in the year 1844 by the Honorable and Right Reverend Arbory George Spencer D.D. Lord Bishop of the Diocese as certified by me John Campbell officiating Curate.

This marriage was announced in The Gentleman's Magazine 1844:
"Aug 1: At Jamaica, David Turnbull, esq. her Majesty's Judge of the Court of Mixed Commission, to Alice, dau. of the late John Musson, esq. of Paynter Vale, Bermuda.”

David was the brother of my GGG-grandmother Agnes Turnbull ((ca 1795-1848) and Eleanor was the sister of my GGG grandfather Hugh Casement (1793 - 1863). I am still looking for the marriage of Hugh and Agnes ca 1816.

The above relationship was proved by this passage in a letter David Turnbull sent from Jamaica to Lord John Russell in London on 22 January 1841:
'I was married in the North of Ireland in the Autumn of 1826. I am myself a native of Scotland'.
'My wife is the daughter of the late Mr. Roger Casement, a man of great wealth and respectability in the country of Antrim, with whom I was previously connected by the marriage of my sister to his son'.

[Source: , FO 72/584 and now in the Oxford Dictionary of National Biographies.]

Regards
Lesley
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions