Search for content in message boards

FTM 2010 adding random parents

FTM 2010 adding random parents

Posted: 11 Aug 2010 12:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
Is anyone else having problems with FTM 2010? I have found a number of times now that when I add new people to my tree it will randomly attach this person to someone else. However when I go to detach person it is not showing that person as a direct relative to the person its attached itself too. The only way around this is to delete the new person and try again.

I am very familiar with the FTM software been using it since 2008 and never had this issue until now. Any suggestions?

Re: FTM 2010 adding random parents

Posted: 11 Aug 2010 3:11PM GMT
Denise,

Please let us know what steps you are taking where this "randomly attaching" takes place. Where were you when your started and then what did you see?

Are you checking the Relationship Button for that Individual.

You should NOT have to Delete and Re-Add anyone.

It would be very helpful for some details.

Thank you,

Russ

Posted: 11 Aug 2010 6:31PM GMT
I will try to explain the exact issue I have had today.

2 sisters ....1 sister (Eleanor my gg.grandother) married a David Oliver (my gg.grandfather). Today I found the other sister married a Micheal Oliver (no relation to David). I added this new person by going to the correct sister (Elizabeth) and clicking the add spouse and entered his details.

When navigating up through the ancestors to Eleanor & Davids child it shows the parents as Elizabeth and Michael. However if I navigate from the top down through the descendants it shows the correct parents. However, if I hen click on the child it then reverts back to the wrong parents. I have checked the parents by right click and choosing parents it shows the correct parents.

Let me know if you need any more info!
Dee

Posted: 11 Aug 2010 6:47PM GMT
Dee,

Please look at the Relationship Tab for Eleanor & David's Child. Are the Parents Correct?

Did you check the Parentage Report and Marriage Report.

Russ

Posted: 12 Aug 2010 5:18PM GMT
I am having the same problem. It attached parents from a completely diffreent branch of my tree.
I can access her through her real parents and then these wrong parents show up in the tab above her name and the tree which shows up with her at the head.
If I check the family view of the bogus parents, she does not appear as a child.
I have checked for duplicate individuals and there are none for either family.

Posted: 12 Aug 2010 8:37PM GMT
Dan,

What does the Relationship Button, for this person, show?

Russ

Posted: 12 Aug 2010 11:08PM GMT
Russ,
I'm not sure what you are calling the realtionship button.
The line above her box where the parents' first names are given and she is the selected person is showing the wrong parents. If I am on the previous page where she is listed as a child, the parents are correct but I cannot get there by going back from her page. I have to pick her father from the index of individuals.
I have no idea how or when this happened, I was doing some prep work for a trip and just found it last week.
I am using Windows XP and FTM 2010.
Peggy

Posted: 12 Aug 2010 11:14PM GMT
Sorry, Russ
I just found the relationship button. It shows both fathers and both mothers with the wrong ones 'preferred'. I can change the preference, I guess, but I do not want to loose and any info from either family branch as they are each 10+ generations.
Peggy Hays

Posted: 13 Aug 2010 3:53AM GMT
Peggy,

Please go to the People Workspace, Person tab, and you will see the Relationship Button in the top right, just above the list of FACTs.

Russ

Posted: 13 Aug 2010 3:54AM GMT
Peggy,

You DETACH the incorrect Parents, by clicking on the People menu bar, and Detach.

Russ
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions