Search for content in message boards

St Eustache, Paris

St Eustache, Paris

Posted: 15 Aug 2012 4:12AM GMT
Classification: Query
My ancestor Gabriel Moulon was interred at St Eustache, Paris on 25 January 1755. Googling the church, there does not appear to be a graveyard. Does anyone know anything about interments at St Eustache?

thanks
Karen

Re: St Eustache, Paris

Posted: 15 Aug 2012 7:21AM GMT
Hello Karen, in France most burials are in cemetaries that are not attached to the church and not in church graveyards. In rural villages the cemetary can be some distance from the church However, you say that she was interred in the church, could there have been a family tomb within the church perhaps?
Mick

Posted: 15 Aug 2012 10:36AM GMT
Surnames: Moulon
http://www.catacombes-de-paris.fr/english.htm

As Paris grew and became more densely populated, the city needed both the space, and a way to separate the remains of those who had died from many diseases from the living, in an attempt to keep the population at least somewhat more healthy.

As a result, the contents of the St. Eustache cemetery, which had been used for hundreds of years, was closed in 1785, and the remains moved to the Catacombs, which are still (mostly) open to visitors today. (other cemeteries around the city were added later, as were the remains of those executed in the Revolution)

I know they painstakingly listed all known burials in a register, but I'm not sure how to access that information.

Posted: 15 Aug 2012 10:38AM GMT
(sorry, forgot to add that it's a very interest visit to see the ossuary, should you happen to be in Paris)

Posted: 17 Aug 2012 5:32AM GMT
Hi Mick

I have never been to the church, so am not sure if there is a tomb. I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping to get there next year.

Thanks for the info.

Karen

Posted: 17 Aug 2012 5:34AM GMT
Many thanks for this information.

Another thing on my 'bucket list'

Karen

Posted: 31 Aug 2013 12:22AM GMT
Surnames: Bavouzet
I am curious if you ever made it to St. Eustache. Did you find ways to search the church records? I am also interested in looking up information there. I am not sure if my family attended church there, it may have been in another church in the same area in the early to mid-1800s.

Posted: 8 Feb 2014 6:22PM GMT
Surnames: Saucier
Blessed to be going to Paris November 2014. Will spend some time in and around St. Eustache Catholic church. Are genealogical records available to the public there?
We too are directly linked to Louis (b. 25 June 1625) son of Charles and Charlotte.

Posted: 9 Feb 2014 11:52PM GMT
Hello

Sorry for the delay in replying, I have only just seen your message.
No I didn't get to Paris last year. I spent the time just outside Bordeaux visiting all the places where the family lived. Had a wonderful time and it is so pretty down there.

Paris is now on the list for the next visit.

Karen

Posted: 9 Feb 2014 11:55PM GMT
Hi John

I understand that the original records were destroyed, but there are attempts being made to recreate them and they can be found in the archives office.

Who is Louis?

Karen
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions