Search for content in message boards

Family Tree Maker on Linux

Family Tree Maker on Linux

Posted: 15 Aug 2010 8:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
So has there been any talk of porting FTM to Linux?

I just switched a few days ago and with the exception of FTM and Steam I'm happy with it.

It just seems that this should be a priority for Ancestry. Portability is extremely useful in genealogy research and half the netbooks run some version of Linux. On top of that, MOST of the upcoming tablets will run it and it would be awesome to take a tablet with me to do research.

That said, anyone know the best way to run 2010 in Linux? I know a VM will work but I really don't want to go that route.

Re: Family Tree Maker on Linux

Posted: 15 Aug 2010 8:32PM GMT
Other than a VM setup, I've never heard of anyone running FTM under Linux.

Posted: 15 Aug 2010 8:54PM GMT
Ray,

Please read Andy's reply. Like him, yours is the first that I have seen a Linux request.

The feature that you want is NOT currently available in Version 2010. I can only suggest that you make your Detailed Requirements known on this website:

http://ftm.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ftm.cfg/php/enduser/ask_feed...

The development team has reported that they DO read these requests.

Russ

Posted: 15 Aug 2010 9:23PM GMT
Russ,

I'm sorry but it seems like every time I ask a question here you give that same cut and paste answer. I know FTM doesn't run on Linux, all I was asking was if there was talk of it or if there was a workaround. And there is nothing I can tell the developers about this subject that they don't already know.

As for them listening, I haven't seen all the features of 2011 but so far I haven't noticed that they fixed many of the more pressing issues members here have been asking for like exporting gedcom's with attached media.

Posted: 15 Aug 2010 10:04PM GMT
Ray,

We, the user's wouldn't hear about that the developers are doing for the Linux operating system. AND Andy gave you the workaround.

There are a number of 2011 features that I have seen that came from this and other message boards.

The GEDCOM is an issue that has been seen, yes. But I think the "industry" needs to deal with that. By industry, I mean Genealogy Program Developers. From what I have seen / heard about GEDCOM's in general, there hasn't been much talk about anything for that standard. From what I understand, both the "sending" application and "receiving" application would have to agree what to do with a string of information. Pass it along or ignore it. But, if they, the industry aren't talking about it, not sure how that would happen. It's probably been 5 or so years since Dick Eastman had anything to say about it. If he new something was going around, he would probably talk about it.

Russ

Posted: 21 Nov 2010 12:36AM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 22 Feb 2013 8:23PM GMT

Posted: 11 Feb 2013 9:18PM GMT
Wayne,

What version of WINE. I'm have tried on 1.4 and 1.5.23, to no success. Also, WineHG reports that FTM 2008 and later will not run on WINE. I think FTM was tested too few times. Maybe I don't have WINE installed properly.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application...

KDB

Posted: 11 Feb 2013 10:17PM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 22 Feb 2013 8:23PM GMT

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 10:00PM GMT
I have used FTM 2012 on the last two or three version of Ubuntu. The last being 12.10. I had previously read of problems with Wine so first used VirtualBox but had a lot of issues so changed to VMWare with most of the same issues. Both VM slowed FTM considerably and affected reliability. I bought and dual boot Win8 Pro just to run FTM and many of the same problems still exist. TreeSync is definitely more problematic under VM on my machine. For now, I'm staying with Win8 and hoping FTM will be improved sufficiently to again consider moving to a VM. However, IMHO TreeSync remains deadly, even on Win8.

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 12:55AM GMT
We run FTM on my wife's Mac (and it works fine, although I found older versions more intuitive) and I'd now like to run it on a laptop under Linux. The Wine database has a 'this is garbage' review and there are mixed messages above. Not prepared to run Windoze, even under VMware. So, does anyone know a working combination of FTM/Wine/Linux.
And, by the way, since it actually runs on the version of Linux known as Mac OSX, doing a port to native Linux should not be a deal breaker.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions