Search for content in message boards

HMS Nomad

Posted: 25 Nov 2009 6:27PM GMT
Classification: Military
The HMS Nomad was sunk during the Battle of Jutland in WWI. My great-grandfather was on the HMS Nomad when it was sunk, waited in the water for thirteen hours, then was taken as a prisoner of war in Brandenburg, Germany.

I can find pictures of nearly all of the ships of that time period, but I cannot find a picture of the HMS Nomad. Surely there must be a picture of it prior to the Battle of Jutland.

Anyone know where I could find a picture or a list of P.O.W.s from the HMS Nomad?

Thanks.

Jill from NJ

Re: HMS Nomad

Posted: 19 May 2012 1:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: ken
hi jill
yes there is picture of prior to the Battle of Jutland this information you went is not that easly,but there are some step that helps l have this same problem but thank god l get the real picture l needed send more infor you have to see were to help you.kensword@rediffmail.com

Posted: 30 May 2012 5:41PM GMT
Thank you, Ken. I'd love to see the picture! Can you attach it?

Posted: 1 Jun 2012 8:43AM GMT
Surnames: ken
hello jill hurley
l ask the historian that help me,he said it cost charges l do know if you can afford that.

Posted: 2 Jun 2012 1:57AM GMT
You might want to know that H.M.S. "Nomad" was an Admiralty M-class destroyer. She was launched 7 Feb. 1916, so when sunk at the Battle of Jutland on 31 May 1916, she had only been afloat not quite four months. This explains why photographs of her would be quite rare. However, there are plenty of photographs of her sister ships. The wreck of the "Nomad" was accidentally discovered in 2001, so there are lots of websites which discuss that. There is also an article about her on Wikipedia (no photo there). You can look at images of some of the sister ships by typing (www.worldnavalships.com/moon_class.htm) in your search engine, but without the parentheses. First you will see a list of all the ships in the class, then scrolling down there is a selection of photographs below that. Copies are for sale, but there is none specifically of the "Nomad." Good luck to you.

Posted: 2 Jun 2012 11:03PM GMT
Surnames: catharine
Jutland - New Perspectives - Samples

www.fhindexes.co.uk/samples/jutland.pdf

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View
HMS. The men lost on the following ships are listed in the "Naval Who's Who": Page Killed ... Nomad. 337. 8. 146. 237. Nestor. 337. 6. 146.
237. Shark. 337. 85. 146. 224 ... These correspond to the published list of ships lost (War Illustrated, 17 June .... PoW. Prisoner of War.
RATINGS. Number. Less Reason. Actual Men

Posted: 15 Jun 2012 4:31PM GMT
Thank you so much! No, I probably cannot afford that. It didn't even occur to me that the Nomad had only been afloat for less than four months, and I had no idea that wreck was accidentally found in 2001. I will look into that!

--Jill Hurley
per page

Find a board about a specific topic