Search for content in message boards

Searching for Rapaport

Searching for Rapaport

Molly Dena Morris (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jul 2001 8:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Jun 2004 2:18PM GMT
Surnames: RAPAPORT, MORTGOVICH
I am searching for the last name Rapaport, my father Louis Rapaport, was born in Warsaw in 1919, My mother was Dora Mortgovich. We came to this country in 1949, my father , mother sister and I and lost touch with everyone. During the holocaust my mother lost a daughter never to be found and hope she is still alive, if she knows who she is she was only 2 then, her name would have been Eva Mortgovich. CAN ANYONE OUT THERE OFFER ANY INFORMATION. THANK YOU.

Re: Rapaport

Ann Rapaport (View posts)
Posted: 18 Nov 2002 6:56AM GMT
Edited: 17 Jun 2004 2:18PM GMT
Surnames: rapaport
In response to the Rapaport name, I am also trying to find relatives of my father, Frank Rapaport. Believe he had brothers named Max, Sam and Louis. But not quite sure about all of his family history. Have heard that family came to New York from Romania, but do not know if this is accurate either. Any information would be appreciated.

Posted: 13 Jan 2005 3:37PM GMT
Edited: 14 Jan 2005 1:43PM GMT
Surnames: rapaport, gladstone
My grandfather, whom I never met, was named Frank Rapaport. He married Florence Gladstone of Georgetown, SC, and had a daughter, Lois Annetta Rapaport. As my information goes, Frank and Florence split up when my mother Lois was about 4 (early 1920's) and Frank then moved to New York. My mother lost contact with him, but she told me once that a family member, unbeknownst to her, had rebuffed several attempts Frank supposedly made to contact his daughter. If you have any information which might match up with mine, I'd be grateful to hear.

Posted: 14 Jan 2005 7:25PM GMT
I do know that my father had several children before he married my mother and I do believe there was 1 girl and 2 boys. The only one I ever met was a son named Bernard (Bernie) and he lived in Arizona at the time (1965) and had changed his last name. I was quite young at the time and do not remember all the information he gave my mom. The time frame of the 1920's could be when he lived in New York, but I can not be absolutely sure. If I can find some of the notes my mom made about Bernie or anything else, I will let you know. It would be nice if we both could find out some additional information.

Henry Levkoff (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jan 2005 2:58AM GMT
Dear Ann,
Thanks so much for your quick response. I have to tell you that when I printed out your note and read it, I got chills. Oddly enough, I just realized that today (Jan. 14) happens to be my mother Lois's birthday, and she would have been 87. I'd love to think there might be some connection. I'm going to try and find out any additional information from my older brother, Stephen, and see if you and I can compare notes further. I'll keep you posted, and in the meantime, please feel free to e-mail me at levkoffh@bellsouth.net if you wish. Thanks again.

Henry Levkoff

Henry Levkoff (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jan 2005 5:55AM GMT
Edited: 19 Jan 2005 1:52PM GMT
Surnames: gladstone, rapaport
As promised, I contacted my brother regarding any more details of my mother's father, Frank Rapaport. Here's the extent of what we know.

Frank emmigrated from Braila, Romania. At some point he married my grandmother, Florence Gladstone of Georgetown, SC. In 1918, the couple had my mother, Lois Rapaport. Two years later, in 1920, Frank left for New York. Off and on, Frank apparently tried to get in contact with my mother by mail, the last time being in 1935, at which time he was still in New York.

That's all the personal details I have at this time. In doing some more research on Romania and the Rapaport name, I also found a couple of items I hope will help you.. In 1900, due to "severe discrimation in Romania and an almost total denial of political rights," a mass emigration of Jews began. From then up to World War I, almost 70,000 Jews left the country. This seems to jive with our details and time frame; how about yours?

Additionally, I found a posting on jewishgen.org which reads as follows: "Lost branch of the Rappaport (Rapaport, Rappoport, Rapoport) family search page. To complete our family tree, we are searching for a lost branch of the Rappaport family, which moved to the US at the beginning of the 20th century. Benj. Benjamin, Minnie, Israel, Mollie, Helen or Hellen, Max and Bernard." This post states it was submitted by Noam Rothmann e-mail address family_rothmann@yahoo.org
and gives an internet page -- www21.brinkster.com/hanoam/family/index/htm

When I saw the name Bernard, I wondered if he might possibly be the namesake of your half-brother, Bernard.
Maybe a coincidence, maybe not. In any case, I sincerely hope some of this helps you. Please let me know what you find out. Thanks. -- Henry L.

Posted: 20 Jan 2005 9:56PM GMT
I have to say this information seems to coincide with things I had heard. My mom had told me that my Father's family had come from Romania. I also know that we thought that my dad had been born in 1904, but when half brother came to find him, he said that was incorrect that he was older by probably about 10 years (1894). The name Bernard seems little more than coincidental, too. Maybe we are on to something, at least I would like to think so. I haven't had opportunity to look for infomation yet, but will try to find it soon. Thanks so much for all your information - I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that we continue to find more.

Posted: 28 Feb 2005 5:16PM GMT
Edited: 2 Mar 2005 2:59PM GMT
Surnames: Rapaport
Ann, just thought I'd pass on these further observations regarding my grandfather and possibly your father, Frank Rapaport. At the time of last posting, I had not joined Ancestry.com -- my initial responses were from a general internet search that found your query. Since then, I've joined and found a hit for Frank which exactly matches the information my brother gave me -- Frank was born in Romania in 1891. This led me to the 1930 Census, which places him in Chicago and appears to include your half-brother, Bernard, who was then (according to the census) almost a year old. I have found nothing else on One World Tree or anywhere else. Do you think we have a match? This is as far as I believe I can get -- any more information on your end? Perhaps we could exhange photos of your father and my mother to see if there's some family resemblence... Not sure where to go from here. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks, Henry

Ann (View posts)
Posted: 2 Mar 2005 3:51AM GMT
It certainly sounds like that is the one. The earlier date of birth would probably be just about right, as Bernard had said he was older. I'm sorry I haven't had a chance to find anything yet, been so busy with work and I also meant to write back on your other email address that you sent, but seems I have misplaced it(would be lot easier than going through this board). I am out of town right now, but when I get back to where I can scan photo of Frank, I will send it to you and see if it matches any of yours. I am sorry for not following up with you sooner. I hope we are right!!!

Posted: 27 May 2011 9:18PM GMT
I have information regarding Frank Rapaport.
He was my father.
I can be reached at (bwrobbins@cox.net)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions