Search for content in message boards

Godfrey Reserve

godfrey reserve

louise craig (View posts)
Posted: 1 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: landis
yes there was a godfrey reserve in blackford co...is gone now but it was once there...my great grandfather ,joseph creek was from there also...you might contact bkackford co museum to see if the have copy of book" history of blackford co" & see if there is anything mentioned in there on godfrey reserve..

Godfrey Reserve

David Kolassa (View posts)
Posted: 1 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Landis
Joseph Landis, and ancestor of mine, is reported to have lived on the Godfrey Reserve, 5 miles east of Montpelier IN. I'm trying determine if this place was actually in Blackford County, IN. If so, I'd like to know about source materials/books that can describe it's history. Any information is greatly apreciated.

Godfrey Reserve

Dawn Montgomery (View posts)
Posted: 2 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: LANDIS, MADDOX
Yes, the Godfrey Reserve was and is in Blackford County, Indiana. There are two Indian burial grounds on the Godfrey Reserve. Don't know if your Joseph Landis lived there or not, but I do know about the Godfrey. On the Blackford County Gen Web site you were at, click on Blackford County Cemeteries. That should give you a good idea of where the Godfrey is. The cemeteries are GG and HH, and it says Godfrey Reserve in the angled box in the upper right area of the county map.

Check out my cousins web site. He was raised on the Godfrey. You may need to go through some of his genealogy data to get to what you are looking for, but you can learn quite a bit about the Godfrey and the Godfroy Indians here.

I'll try to point you to the right page. You are looking for the following text if I don't send you to the exact spot:

What was pioneer life like in early Harrison Township? One of Indians, thick forests and plentiful game according to Ida Helen McCarty-a member of the Daughters of the American Colonists" In 1937 she compiled an accurate, astonishing record of the Godfrey Indian Reservation. As you read this, bear in mind that these were the days of our first native-born American....Michael Maddox.
Click here to read this amazing account.

http://www.geocities.com/roogie98_98/indians.html

Good luck in your search.

Dawn Maddox Montgomery
per page

Find a board about a specific topic