Search for content in message boards

Green Cemetery

Green Cemetery

Posted: 9 Oct 2008 1:23AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Holder, Ogg
The only information I can find on the Green Cemetery is that it is (was?) on land donated by W.B. Holder. I'd like to pinpoint the location if anyone reading this can help.

I'm also interested in anyone with any information about W.B. (William Bell) Holder, who married my mother's Aunt Minnie (Ogg).

Nick Wallingford
Tauranga, New Zealand
nickw@beekeeping.co.nz

Re: Green Cemetery

Posted: 25 Oct 2008 5:51AM GMT
Here is the burial information on William Bell Holder at findagrave.com

William Bell Holder

Birth: 1865
Death: 1925

Burial:
Waller Cemetery
Waller
Harris County
Texas, USA
Plot:

Created by: dee
Record added: Apr 10 2001

Minnie Trible Holder
[Suggest a correction]
Birth: 1876
Death: 1944

Burial:
Waller Cemetery
Waller
Harris County
Texas, USA
Plot:

Created by: dee
Record added: Apr 10 2001

Here is dee's email address: ausg@hal-pc.org

I'm not sure that this is the correct cemetery. One researcher says that William Bell Holder is buried in Woodmen of the World Cemetery, Waller County, Texas.

I find William and Minnie Holder in Harris County, Texas, in 1920 and 1910. Their children are William, John, Minnie, Lucy, Ida, Bessie, R.J., J. D., Kelly, and Earl.

In 1900, they are in Waller County, Texas. William was evidently married previously. Minnie is 19, but they have children Jimmie, 12; Emma, 8; Willis,4; Johnnie, 3; and Minne, 9 mos.

One research has that the father of William Bell Holder was Thomas Holder. I find him on the 1870 census of Harris County, TExas, p 658.

If you would like the census records, let me know.

I also find H.W. Ogg and his family of the 1880 census of Waller County, Texas. Henry Warren Ogg's mother Martha is living in the home.

One researcher has a number of generations of the Ogg family. Let me know if you would like that information.

How did you end up in New Zealand??? Is it as beautiful as the pictures I have seen?

Posted: 9 Mar 2011 1:16AM GMT
Surnames: Green
Nick, as well as I can determine from maps, Green cemetery is south of farm to market road 1488 on Joseph Road about halfway between Magnolia and Hempstead.

I'm interested in the cemetery because it has a marker to my ancestor Samuel Kerr Green. Also in the cemetery is a marker for Samuel's brother Benjamin S. Green, and his wife M.M. Green and their children Benjamin S., J.w., Thomas L., and Lucinda C.

If you or anyone reading the thread has ties to this Green family, I'll gladly share my information about them.

Posted: 15 Jun 2012 5:59AM GMT
I am trying to figure out the history behind the cemetery beside/on my property. There are two tombstones one small and one large on Joseph Rd in Wallet County/ Hockley Tx. I saw your posts and its the closest I have come. One stone has only one name that I can tell because the are so weathered and the other has I think five or six. They are only initials for the first and second names but last is Green. I think one is S .k. Green or something but that is a guess. If this is what you are looking for or have more names I can look at the head stones and tell you.

Posted: 15 Jun 2012 7:02AM GMT
Surnames: Holder, Wallingford, Ogg, Hegar, Loyd/Lloyd
My interest in the cemetery was sort of backwards - most people are wanting to know about the people buried there. Me, I was just trying to figure out where it was! As you've also found, remarkably little information about it available.

I was interested as my Mum's Aunt Minnie and her husband William B. Holder had a farm - maybe the same one you have now???? He farmed there in the early 1900s, dying in middle 1920s. And all I knew of the location was that the Green Cemetery was on their land. I *did* finally find a land map that located their property. I don't have my notes here, but it was, I think, on Joseph Rd, to the west of the intersection with Fields Store Rd, on the north side of Joseph Rd. Does that sound about right? I *think* it would be before Joseph takes that 90 degree turn to the left to go south, but would have to find the notes to be sure.

Both my Ogg and Wallingford families were all through this area - Wallingfords up closer to Fields Store, Oggs over near the Montgomery Co. line with the Alfords, along FM 1488. Hegars just south of you (some, appropriately, near Hegar!). Loyd/Lloyds in that same area (marrying into the Alfords and the Hegars variously!)

Sure seems a long way from New Zealand - wish I was there to walk around some of these places...

Nick

Posted: 15 Jun 2012 1:31PM GMT
Surnames: Green, Kerr
I appreciate your reply very much, and it's interesting that the cemetery is on your property. I can help you decipher the inscriptions, I think. The stones were legible when I saw them, and I took photos of them.

You're right that the stone with one name on it reads S.K. Green. This stone is for the grave of my ancestor Samuel Kerr Green, who died in March 1860 in what was then Grimes Co., Texas. Since Samuel is buried on land that had belonged to his brother Benjamin and is buried with Benjamin and Benjamin's family, it seems clear to me he died at the home of his brother Benjamin and was buried in what became the family's cemetery.

The other stone has the surname Green and the initials B.S., M.M. Green, S.B., T.E., J.W., and L.C. B.S. is Benjamin S. Green, who was a brother of Samuel Kerr Green. They are children of John Green and Jane Kerr of Abbeville and Pendleton Dist., SC, and Bibb Co., AL.

Samuel was born abt. 1790 and Benjamin abt. 1795, both in Pendleton Dist., SC. Benjamin died in March 1860 in Grimes Co., as did his brother Samuel (in a section of Grimes that later became Waller).

Benjamin was married twice, and M.M. is his second wife, but I have yet to find her given name. The children buried with Benjamin and M.M. are all by his first wife, and are Benjamin S., Jr., J.W., Thomas L.E., and Lucinda C. (Caroline was her middle name, I think). Tax and deed records in Waller Co. suggest that none of the four children married, and that they lived together farming their lands up to the ends of their lives, with Lucinda moving to Harris Co. at the very end of her life.

Posted: 15 Jun 2012 3:12PM GMT
Thank you for the information. The cemetary actually sits about 150ft from my house, but is not really part of my property, although I do take care of. There is a dirt driveway that divides us, but if anyone were to drive by they would think it was the same. I have wondered for years the about the people burried there. The headstones have fallen over and we continue to put them back in place. Are there any more family members burried there that you aware of?

Posted: 15 Jun 2012 6:35PM GMT
Surnames: Green, Keesee, Smith
I think I may well have driven up your driveway when I visited the cemetery back in July 2011.

To the best of my knowledge, there aren't other family members buried in the cemetery besides the ones whose initials are given on the stones. Since none of Benjamin's children seem to have married, they didn't have children themselves.

Samuel had lived in Louisiana up to the year before his death. He had had two wives, both of them dead by the time he died (and he had divorced the first of the two, my ancestors Eliza Jane Smith--if, in fact, he ever actually married Eliza Jane).

When Eliza Jane died in Natchitoches Psh., LA, in 1843, she left all of her property to her son by Samuel, Ezekiel Samuel Green. When Ezekiel came of age to claim the property--which included a number of slaves--Samuel denied he had ever married Eliza and that he was Ezekiel's father, and, sadly, the son ended up suing his father for ownership of his property.

This case was first held by Pointe Coupee court, since Samuel was living in Pointe Coupee Psh. by this point, and the court found strong evidence that even if Eliza and Samuel had not married, they had both always acknowledged Ezekiel S. as their son and had jointly supported him after they separated. Samuel then appealed to the LA Supreme Court, which upheld the lower court's decision, saying it was not very admirable for a man to try to bastardize a son to obtain his property.

It was right after this verdict was handed down that Samuel seems to have gone to TX. I suppose in many ways his life and family connections in LA were broken, and he went to live with his brother at the end of his life.

He had by this point obtained a tract of land in TX in Llano Co., which ended up going to his son Ezekiel at Samuel's death. Ezekiel is my great-great grandfather, by the way.

Samuel and Benjamin did have a sister who also went to TX--Jane Caroline Green (1808-1897), who married Thomas Keesee. This couple and most of their family are buried at Ovila in the cemetery of Shiloh Presbyterian church. Benjamin initially went to Saline Co., AR, with Thomas and Jane Caroline, before he moved to Washington, and then Grimes/Waller Co., TX, and they to Ovila.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic