Search for content in message boards

Alexander Young of North Adams, MA

Alexander Young of North Adams, MA

Posted: 12 May 2010 7:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: YOUNG
Would be interested in corresponding with anyone researching or having knowledge of the Alexander Young family of North Adams. Alexander born in St. Hyacinthe, Quebec, Canada in April 1843 and died in North Adams on 4 August 1916. He married Mary _____ and had the following children: Alexander, Thomas, George, Napoleon, Mary Ann, Emma, Arthur, Francis, Robert, Sarah Ann.

Re: Alexander Young of North Adams, MA

Posted: 13 May 2010 12:07AM GMT
I may have a maiden name for wife Mary- either Poro or Paro.

Son Francis Young (Frank Leon Young) was married in Pittsfield on 18 Apr 1912 to May Louise Tanner. He was 28, she was 29, first marriage for each. He was born in Rogersfield, NY; she in Prescott, Ontario. His father- Alexander Young, mother Mary Poro/Paro. Her father- Joseph Tanner, mother Caroline Brown. Married by John A Hamilton, Pittsfield, Clergyman.

Frank was a Foreman, living at the Woodlawn Inn in Pittsfield. May lived at 47 Henry Ave, Pittsfield.

Source in the Mass Vital Records at NEGHS.

Max

Posted: 13 May 2010 12:58AM GMT
Surnames: Young
Thanks so much Max you have given me a couple more leads to follow. I believe Alexander to be brother to my great great grandfather Francis Young. Now I just have to prove it! If you ever need any research done in Chenango Co., NY feel free to call on me. Thanks again. Sharon

Posted: 13 May 2010 1:48AM GMT
No problem, Sharon. I may take you up on your Chenango County offer one day. I have 3g grandparents buried there that I've never found - Phineas and Martha Wright. In fact, I lived in Norwich for the first year of my life. Many of my Olds line moved from Berkshire County to Chenango and Otsego Counties in the early 1800's.

Incidentally, if you go to the familysearch pilot site, there is a database for Vermont Births and Christenings 1765-1908. If you enter the name Alex Young, you will get several of Alexander and Mary/May's children's births, along with various birthplaces for Alexander and Mary and every conceivable spelling of Mary's last name (Poro, Paro, Pero, etc.) I'de bet that this is an anglicized version of Pareau or something similar, Perot, Poirot.

Good luck.
Max

Posted: 13 May 2010 10:18AM GMT
Hello,

I'd just like to offer an FYI that 3 yrs. ago I started up a Mailing List for CAN-USA-Migration. And, a few months ago I started up 2 new Message Boards on the subject. The Help Desk decided there should be 2; one for CAN to USA and one for USA to CAN.

http://boards.rootsweb.com/topics.immigration.canada/mb.ashx

http://boards.rootsweb.com/topics.immigration.us/mb.ashx

Betty (near Lowell, MA)

(I research a YOUNG family in Killingly, CT. My grandmother was reportedly a foundling in 1889 and taken in by an older couple in Melrose, MA. They had moved there from Killingly. My educated guess is that they were her grandparents. I believe their married daughter in CT had a pregnancy outside of her marriage in the summer of 1888. She was Mrs. Clara (DEXTER) YOUNG, wife of Abner.)

Posted: 13 May 2010 1:19PM GMT
My maiden name was Young my grandfather was b.Swanton Vt.and his parents Canada.The last name was lajeunesse,converted to Young in Vermont.I just thought I would let you know in case you come across the name.
Tina

Posted: 14 May 2010 11:30AM GMT
Thanks again for all your help. I live about 12 miles from Norwich so please let me know if I can look anything up for you. Sharon

Posted: 14 May 2010 11:32AM GMT
Thanks Betty for the information. My Young family comes from Quebec and has been a brick wall for me for over fifteen years. Sharon

Posted: 14 May 2010 11:36AM GMT
Thanks Tina for the information. My grandmother told me that our Young name had once been Youngblood but so far no luck on that line either. Sharon

Posted: 16 May 2010 7:46PM GMT
I have a Marie Louise Young in my family tree. Except her name is Dion in her marriage record in North Adams to Gedeon LeSage.Her father is Alexander Dion and mother Marie Poreau (Poro) She was born 1876 in Rutland Vermont according to her obituary. She had 2 surviving brothers at the time, Napoleon Young of Rochester, NY and Frank Young of East Sound, Wash. In two birth records of her children her name is written Mary L. Dion, then Dion is crossed out and Young is written. Maybe you can find your family under Dion. I hope this helps you break through your brick wall
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions