Search for content in message boards

GAINES, HAMPTON, POPE

GAINES, HAMPTON, POPE

Barbara Kelly (View posts)
Posted: 28 Mar 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query

Searching for any information on JOSIE HAMPTON, daughter of WILLIAM HIRAM HAMPTON and EMILY POPE. WILLIAM HIRAM died in Malden, Dunklin Co., Missouri in 1916. I believe this is the JOSIE HAMPTON who married a man by the name of GAINES. They had at least one child, a son, names WILLIAM HENRY GAINES. Thanks in advance.in advance.

Re: GAINES, HAMPTON, POPE

LuAnn (View posts)
Posted: 19 Apr 1998 12:00PM GMT

Barbara,

The paper was called the Malden Press Merit for many years; however, I am not sure how far back that name goes. You can contact the Malden Public Library and they can give you the old and current name of the paper-the current name slips my mind.

Good luck.
LuAnn

Barbara Kelly (View posts)

LuAnn: Many thanks for your reply. I'm not sure that Josie is the one who married Mr. Gaines. Do you know what newspaper might have an obituary for William Hampton? Maybe it would list his family, and I could verify that way whether it is "our" Josie. Thanks again for your help. Barbaraa

LuAnn (View posts)

Barbara,

William Hiram Hampton and my ggrandmother, Elizabeth Hampton Gulledge were siblings. Although I do not have any info on Josie I may be able to help you with William and Elizabeth's family. William is buried in Stephens Cemetery right outside Malden, Dunklin Co., Mo.

LuAnnn

Hampton / Gaines

Rodger Huffman (View posts)
Posted: 15 Dec 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: HAMPTON, GAINES, YOUNG
Your query caught my attention because I am researching both the GAINES & HAMPTON families in S.E. MO. I am looking for information on William Thomas Hampton (1850-1923). He died in Qulin, MO and is buried in Holcomb (Lloyd Cemetery). To my knowledge he wasn't married to a Gaines, but could have.

I am also researching the GAINES family. Looking for information on Martha Ann GAINES who married John William YOUNG. Martha was the daughter of J.M. GAINES & Elizabeth MONTGROMERY both born around 1826/28. Any information you have ran across on these would be greatly appreciated. I will look through my records for the names you mentioned above.

Hampton Family

LuAnn (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: HAMPTON, GULLEDGE
Kelly,

I may be able to help you with Wm Hiram's siblings and parents. William Hiram's sister was Elizabeth Hampton. She married John W. Gulledge (my ggrandparents). Elizabeth and John had a son named Charlie B. Gulledge who married and moved to Dunklin Co., Mo. abt 1892. Don't know if you are familiar with Stevens Cemetery in Malden, but both William Hiram and my Charlie B. Gulledge are buried there (pretty close together too I might add). I am hoping you can help me fill in my gaps. I will be more than happy to share what I have in regards to the Hampton line. Let me know if you are interested.

LuAnn

Hampton Family

Kelly Stigall (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: HAMPTON, POPE, HENSON
Barbara,

William Hiram Hampton is my ggrandfather and I have some information from my grandmother that you might be interested in. Josie and Joe were children of William's first wife Mary Emma Pope. Josie and Joe were twins one female one male. My line comes from William Hiram Hampton and his 2nd wife Martha Ellen Henson. I have the names of all Williams siblings, his children, grandchildren, great grandchildren and ggrandchildren for the Martha Ellen Henson side. I am looking for more information on the names of the parents of William Hiram and Martha Ellen. I know William was not born in Missouri, but in Decatur, TN. He moved to Missouri in 1872 after the death of his first wife. I am looking for more information regarding his parents and aunts and uncles. Can you help?

Hampton / Gaines

Rodger Huffman (View posts)
Posted: 2 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Hampton, Gaines, Young, Thacker
I have a William Thomas Hampton in my line. He was born about 1850 and died May 31, 1923. Also have Gaines. They both lived in the Dunklin County and Stoddard County area.

Hampton/Gaines

Barbara (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Hampton, Gaines
I found that "my" Josie HAMPTON (b 1863) was not from Dunklin County. Actually, she wasn't a Hampton! She was Josie ROSS. Her mother, Melvina MARKSBERRY, of Daviess County, MO. married William Ross in 1862. It is presumed that he died and in 1881 she married David T Hampton, a Civil War Confederate Lieutenant. In 1850 he was in Henry County, MO. Many thanks to all who gave me information.

Gulledge relation

Don Gulledge (View posts)
Posted: 10 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Gulledge, Hampton
I saw a posting of yours considering John and Elizabeth (Hampton) Gulledge, your GGrandparents of Dunklin county. I am related through James, Charley B.'s brother. James had a son named Charles Claybourne, whom had my grandfather Donald Frederick.

I know that John Gulledges father was William Gulledge born in North Carolina abt 1782, died in Tenn. abt 1850. Is there any chance you have more information on William Gulledge, especially his parents? I have all of John's sibling information including spouses, and have been in contact with someone via the internet, also related through James Gulledge, who has been of some help.

I would be willing to share information, including Ged files. Would very much appreciate any information you may have, including stories of a family nature.

Charles Claybourne Gulledge moved his family to California, Orange County area, where he fell in love with the place. So much that he named one of his daughters Villa Orange Gulledge after Villa Park, Orange County, California. Family lore says that Villa or her sister Mary is in possession of a researched book of family history, commissioned by possibly by Charles or one of his brothers, which was one of only two copies published. I was unable to locate any one in the family who could track this rumor down. Another rumor is that there is proof in that book to a genealogical link to Pocahontas, and I have seen several persons conversing on genealogical pages about a Gulledge which adopted Cherokee Indian children, again without good proof that it has anything to do with my actual line.

Heard any good rumors lately?

Donald Gulledge, Pearl Harbor Hawaii, USN
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions