Search for content in message boards

Ross Family

Ross Family

Roger Ross (View posts)
Posted: 31 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ross, Scott
Looking for John Ross and Hannah Scott Swearingon Stith Ross marriage record , possibly 1807, son James Madison, born 1810 and son Covington Collinsworth, born 1812. Any information on John and Hannah would be appreciated. James Madison Ross and Covington Collinsworth Ross marriage records both say they were born in Bath Co., Va.

Re: Ross Family

Posted: 12 Apr 2006 6:56PM GMT
Edited: 29 Oct 2006 10:02PM GMT
Surnames: Ross, Davis, Harvey
Are you familar with Harry Sellards book on the Bloss, Pyles, Ross & Sellards families?
Library of Congress Catalog Number:90-001441.

Page 119 John Anderson Ross b. ca. 1774 in Va., possibly son of Robert Ross. He married Hannah Scott (b. ca. 1781 Maryland) and married ca 1796 Tazewell Co.,Va.
Third child listed as: James Madison "Matt" Ross b. 27 March, 1810 d. 6 April, 1876. M. 1st Julia Ann Amos 2nd Arnetta "Nettie" Adkins & 3rd Anna Preston.

My family comes from John Robert Ross who married Mary Catherine Harvey Davis in 1795 in Bath Co.,Va. John Robert Ross was the son of Robert Ross.

If you have any information on the early Bath Co. (Augusta Co.) Ross families, please let me know.

Posted: 12 Apr 2006 6:58PM GMT
Edited: 29 Oct 2006 10:02PM GMT
Surnames: Stith, Jordan
I forgot to ask in my last response-- do you have any information on a Lucy Stith who married William Jordan. They were from Augusta Co., I think?

Sincerely,
Pat Fannin

Posted: 11 Feb 2007 3:50PM GMT
Surnames: Ross, Douglas, Hinzman, Corley/Cauley, Hicklin, Smith, Hicks
I am looking for data to determine whether my ggggrandmother Elizabeth "Betsy" Ross was a sister of John Anderson Ross or your John Robert Ross. Elizabeth was born ca 1773, and shows up in the 1820 and 1830 federal census records as head of household. She had six children with William Douglas. All of her children kept the Ross surname. Various anecdotal records list Elizabeth's parents as Robert & Mary Ross. Elizabeth's youngest child was my gggrandfather James Anderson Ross.

Elizabeth's children married into the Hinzman, Corley/Cauley, Hicklin, Smith and Hicks families. Some of them relocated to Lewis and Braxton counties. Some stayed in Bath Co. and still own land on the Cowpasture River.

Mary Ross's 1858 death certificate from Harrison Co. indicates that she was born in Bath Co. in 1791, and that her parents were Robert & Mary. Could she have been another sibling?

Posted: 12 Feb 2007 6:11PM GMT
Surnames: Ross
Harry Sellards book on the Bloss, Pyles, Ross & Sellards families
Library of Congress Catalog Number:90-001441.

Page 119 John Anderson Ross b. ca. 1774 in Va., possibly son of Robert Ross. He married Hannah Scott (b. ca. 1781 Maryland) and married ca 1796 Tazewell Co.,Va.
Third child listed as: James Madison "Matt" Ross b. 27 March, 1810 d. 6 April, 1876. M. 1st Julia Ann Amos 2nd Arnetta "Nettie" Adkins & 3rd Anna Preston.

My family comes from John Robert Ross who married Mary Catherine Harvey Davis in 1795 in Bath Co.,Va. John Robert Ross was the son of Robert Ross.

I do not know whether my Robert Ross was married to a Mary or not. I have no other information on him.

Could you share your anecdotal data on Elizabeth with me?
Also, do you have a copy of her 1858 death certificate that you could share? Is that from Harrison Co. in Virginia?

Sincerely,
Pat Fannin

Posted: 21 Feb 2007 4:27PM GMT
Checking the "Harrison County, West Virginia Death Records 1853-1903 by Patricia B. Hickman pg. 22 for 1858 deaths there is only one Ross listed that being Nancy Jane Ross 3/2/1858 7y 17d d/o Thomas & Nancy born in Harrison Co.

Posted: 22 Feb 2007 12:08AM GMT
I don't know P. Hickman's book or how she assembled her data, but I suspect it isn't complete. Here is a link to the official State of West Virginia's website for their project to digitize all marriage, birth and death records available. They're not finished yet, but some counties are getting there. Harrison is one of those with quite a bit of data online. If you haven't tried this search engine yet I strongly suggest it:

http://www.wvculture.org/vrr/va_select.aspx

It has a flexible and powerful search engine, and positive results will link you to online copies of the original documents. This is probably a little off-topic for the Bath County discussion board, but it's a great resource if your ancestors moved back and forth over the border from VA to WVA.

BTW, I just went to that search engine and looked for surname=Ross in Harrison County in 1858 and got 2 results: Mary Ross and Nancy Jane Ross.

Regards,
Dave

Posted: 10 Aug 2008 5:17PM GMT
The will of William Douglas, signed by mark, dtd 2 Jan 1836, probated June 1837 court, Bath Co., VA, [Bath Co. Will Book 4, P. 356], names 6 "children by Betsy Ross": "Sally, Sophia, Rebecca, Benjamin, William, & Anderson Ross". Also names children, Peggy, wife of Fountain Morrison; Theresa Stuart, wife of Charles; Caroline Stuart, wife of Edward, Juliet Stuart, wife of Adam; Mary Griffith, wife of Douglas; Henson Griffith; & Jilson/Gilson, alias Griffith. Henson & Jilson bear the same surname as Mary, but are referred to as children of William So, 13 persons called his children, the mother(s) of 7 children not stated. William refers to the estate of his father, Benjamin Douglas.
Sally ROSS is, I believe, the Sarah Ellen Ross, b. 1811, Bath Co.; d. 30 May 1869, Bath Co., daughter of William Douglas & Elizabeth Ross, who m. 4 Jul 1836, Bath Co., Gabriel Lee Cauley, b. 28 Feb 1809, d. 1891, Bath Co., son of John & Catherine SNEAD Cauley.

Posted: 11 Aug 2008 4:40AM GMT
Surnames: Ross, Cauley, Corley, Griffeth, Noffsinger, Douglas, Stewart, Stuart
Hi Willow703, thanks for the info. William's daughter Peggy was Margaret Douglas, daughter by him of Mary Noffsinger (or Nofsinger). They had only the one child. He had six with Betsy Ross (all took her surname) and another six with Nancy Griffeth:
1 Mary Douglas,
2 Caroline Douglas,
3 Juliet Douglas,
4 Theresa Douglas,
5 Henson Douglas,
6 Jilson Griffeth Douglas.

From the will it sounds as if the Douglas-Griffeth children may have also used the Griffeth surname at times. I do not know if Mary Douglas ever married. Caroline, Juliet and Theresa all married Stewarts (Stuarts), and I wonder if they were brothers. Henson Douglas married Patsy Ann Woods, and they had a son named Jilson B. Douglas. Jilson G. Douglas married Ankey Ross, whom I have not been able to place.

You are correct about Sally Ross, she married Gabriel Lee Cauley. William, one of her brothers, married Gabriel's sister Nancy. The Cauley family also used Corley as a family name in that generation (and has since as well). I have no information about Sophia Ross, but it seems she must have been alive when her father's will was recorded (2 Jan 1836)

As far as I know, William did not marry any of the mothers of his children, which sure complicates the research!

I don't have a copy of William's will. Do you have it? If you are interested in more info on any of these families, let me know.

Posted: 11 Aug 2008 12:00PM GMT
I don't have William's will. My info comes from Ancestry.com (Abstracts of the Wills and Inventories of Bath County, Virginia, 1791-1842; p. 179-80).
William gives to Peggy Morrison, land on the Cowpasture R., purchased from James Douglas, and apparently he had great dislike for her husband, Fountain Morrison as he is denied access to anything given to Peggy.
He gives to Caroline land in three 1812 patents. Land given to her & others is over 700 acres & there are more than 25 named slaves, so William was a man of substance; not likely that he would have children by 3 women & not be married. The abstract seems to indicate that Jilson/Gilson (male? female?) & Mary had the middle initial, "D".
per page

Find a board about a specific topic