Search for content in message boards

Gray Carroll

Nancy Jane Carroll

Posted: 11 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Mar 2002 2:48PM GMT
Surnames: Carroll, White
Hi, I'm researching the Carroll line, also. So far, I have only one member, though :( She is Nancy Jane Carroll. She married Samuel White and had at least two children: Walter White (b. 8-16-1855) & James Merritt White (b. 11-30-1875). While that isn't much information for you, I would love to know if you have any additional input on them. They lived in the Isle of Wight/Southampton Co. area. I know someone who does have lots of research on a Carroll line. If you'd like and it's okay with him, I'll email you his email address.

Gray Carroll

Priscilla Byrd (View posts)
Posted: 11 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Carroll
Gray Carroll owned "Carrollton" Isle of Wight Co.,Va lived 1773-1843 married 4 times. Constance Jones, Maey Wheadon, Nancy Goodrich & Mrs. Stott. He had eleven children, I am trying to get in contact with any of his generations of children.I want to find where the plantation was.

Re: Nancy Jane Carroll

Posted: 20 Jul 2001 12:13AM GMT
I am also researching the Carroll Line. I believe Nancy's parents were Doctor Gray M. Carroll and Winifred Jones. They had four children: Richard Emmett (my great-great-great grandfather), Algernon, Nancy and one other girl. I found info on Gray and Winifred at ancestry.com. Gray died in 1842. The 1850 census had Winifred, Nancy and Algernon living together (Richard was in Norfolk or Richmond), 1860 had Winifred, Algernon, and Richard living together. The ages of the childrenand wife in the 1840 census of Doctor Gray M. Carroll fit the ages of Winifred, Algernon and Richard. I've just found out most of this info. If you would like copies of the censuses and trade what info we both have, email me at tomaci@gte.net.

Re: Gray Carroll

Posted: 28 Jul 2001 1:04AM GMT
Is this the same Gray Carroll who was a doctor in Isle of Wight County? I have found two Gray Carrolls in the 1840 Census, one of whom was married to a Winnifred Jones. He and Winnifred had two sons and one daughter that I know of: Algernon, born abt 1827, Nancy born abt 1829, and Richard Emmett, born 1832. Richard is my gggrandfather.

I have just started researching this line. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted: 13 Aug 2010 1:50AM GMT
Surnames: Carroll/Carrell, Gray Isle of Wight Co. VA
I have Nov 6, 1743, his tombstone Isle of Wight Co. VA age 70. He was appointed guardian of David and Selah Casey JOnes, minor children, Joseph, Peggy and Charlotte and his accountings are in the Guardianship Records Isle of Wight Co. VA. from about 1796 until 1804. He is present at the marriage of Charlotte Jones 1812. IOW Co.VA. Constant Jones, one of his wives is the sister to these minor children.
The name of Carroll is still on the gates of property located where the plantations would have been, located near the Proctors Bridge on the Blackwater River, Isle of Wight VA. The Blackwater River flows south, joins the Nottoway River just before the NC boarder and becomes the Chowan, a very huge River that empties into the Albamarle Sound of NC. The mode of transporation is by boat. They were very mobile getting their product to market. The rivers were faster.

Posted: 13 Aug 2010 6:17PM GMT
I have right many Carroll family members in my files but I do not have Gray, althoug that name is used in others of my Isle of Wight families. My first Carroll/Carrell is William and wife Hannah in Sussex Co Virginia. The families move into Surry Co and Isle of Wrigh in later years ending with my mother in Law in Suffolk born 1918. I did/do not know anything about the Carroll family having a plantation. I live in the area and would love to go see where it was. Can you give me some directions on how to get there. I have lived in Suffolk, Smithfield, Windsor, and have friend in Ivor and other places that might be close. The only Carrollton I have ever know is the town on Rt 17 where many of my husbands and my family come from. I would be glad to share what Carroll information I do have with anyone who wants it
Hope

Posted: 13 Aug 2010 10:37PM GMT
The best I can do is tell you to Google it. Proctors Bridge Rd on the Blackwater River you will see a series of
building and many,many smaller ones which are used for ?
Maybe big chicken ranch or something. The entire area was
dotted with Plantations years ago. The Jones discription is 90 Acres deeded to his son.
David Jones son of Samuel and Sarah Shaw Jones lived along Proctor's Bridge Road in IOW Co. VA on land he inheirted from his Father. A deed from David Jones to his son Willis, described the 90 acres being sold as " on the first swamp of the Blackwater (River) running along Proctor's Bridge Road to Wm. Goodrich's, from there up the field past David Jones's dwelling to Benjamin Ward's line, thence along a line of trees to Thomas Wrenn's (Winn Wynne). (The Blackwater River divides to the west Surry Co. from IOW Co. at Proctor's bridge.) This land didn't include the Plantation.
David Jones married Celia Casey daughter of Nicholas Casey and Contant Harrison of IOW Co. VA about 1764. Grandaughter of Benjamin Harrison and Constant Goodrich of IOW Co. VA.
The Harrision family lived at Burwell's Bay Manor, one of the few 18 century estates along the James River, IOW Co. VA, that has been preserved.
I question my memory now about the name on the house. It might have been Gray. But the Chicken? Farm located there now did have a sign naming it Carroll. I assumed that it might be part of the Carroll's or Jones Plantation. There is no way to know for sure unless you look into the Isle of Wight Deeds.
I will be out of town for several weeks so if you wish to call that is great and when I get back if you are't successful in locating the area. We will do it.

Posted: 13 Aug 2010 10:53PM GMT
Surnames: Gray Carroll & family IOW VA Records
I picked this up in Isle of Wight Library several years ago.
I do not know how accurate but at this point it is:
Constant Jones b. ca 1780 m. Gray Carroll(1774-1843
Issue: Mary Carroll b. 1797 m Peter Jones
Thomas Carroll b. ca 1800 m. Sarah Ann Robinson
Archer Carroll m. Sallie Harvey
Caroline Carroll m. Joel Holliman
Agnes Carroll m. Josiah Wrenn
Elizabeth Carroll m Albert Wrenn
It doen't say all in the Isle of Wight Co. VA but may well assume so until otherwise

Posted: 9 Oct 2010 10:32PM GMT
Please excuse the long delay but I have been out of state and just returned. I have looked for the Plantation for the Carroll's
I found the following for Gray Carroll's home;Gray Carroll owned "Carrollton" Isle of Wight Co.,Va lived 1773-1843 married 4 times. Constance Jones, daughter of David and Selah/Celia Casey Jones of the Isle of Wight Co. VA, Maey Wheadon, Nancy Goodrich & Mrs. Stott. He had eleven children.
Apparently the dwelling is still standing. Now we need is an address......
Dwelling of Gray Carroll
Publication
Material 1 photographic print : b&w ; 7 x 12 cm.
Gen. note Photograph accompanies Virginia Historical Inventory survey report: VHIR/15/0476.
Map location number: IW85
Building date: Around 1811(the dwelling may predate this information)
Building frame
Format Computer file. Richmond, Va. : Library of Virginia, 1998. 1 image file.
Issuing Body This photograph is a part of the Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project
Subject - Topical Dwellings. -- Virginia -- Isle of Wight County -- Photographic prints
Wooden buildings -- Virginia -- Isle of Wight County -- Photographic prints.
I saw a copy of a book which includes all the older residents and bldgs of Isle of Wight Co. I believe they have also attempted to document the entire state but I do
know there are copies of this book at the Southampton Court House and maybe you can locate a copy at one of the larger libraries of VA.

Posted: 9 Oct 2010 10:52PM GMT
Surnames: Carroll- Gray early VA
My response to your question is probably is the same as the Gray Carroll I have died by 1843,IOW VA and he married Constant Jones about 1812 IOW Co. VA. He had eleven children. His name is from two of the oldest families in the Isle of Wight Co. They used surname of Gray and Carroll of the families of IOW VA. some of early settlers. I assume his Christian name Gray has some significants to his maternal line as it was common to give children maternal (Maiden) surnames. My Jones family I have tracked has lines with the Hardy, Willis, Harrison families as the children were given those names as Hardy Jones, Willis Jones and Harrison Jones. All surnames. It may also help you track your family lines by using them for the Maiden name of the missing ? Mother. The other older naming sequence is; the first Male after the Father's Father, the first Female after the Mother's Mother and the second male after the Mother's Father and the second female after the Father's Mother. They often renamed a child with the samename if the previous child was deceased. Strange but it is what they did back then. Often if the Father was a doctor the son followed in his footsteps. Does the birthdate of your Dr. fit with the birthdate of this Gray Carroll married to Constant? 1773-1843
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions