Search for content in message boards

Dowling Family of County Laois, Ireland

Dowling Family of County Laois, Ireland

Sue Wright (View posts)
Posted: 19 Oct 2003 7:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Dowling
Researching my Dowling family tree. Grandfather, Patrick Christopher DOWLING, was born in Mountmellick, County Laois in 1875. He went over to Liverpool sometime in the late 1800's (shown on 1901 UK census as being a publican). Married to Jane Ellen Seddon in October 1899 in Liverpool, England. His father was Joseph DOWLING, married to Elizabeth BACON. They had many children besides Christopher (maybe 8 to 10). Names are Edward Joseph DOWLING, born March 1881, also Dennis, Molly, Ralph and others. Edward, Dennis and another brother emigrated to Canada; one other (maybe more) went to Australia

Re: Dowling Family of County Laois, Ireland

Posted: 17 Jan 2004 10:18PM GMT
Hi, I am researching the Dowling family. One of children of
Michael Dowling and Bridget Bracken was Joseph Lynum Dowling, born 27 Feb 1869 in Brooklyn, NY. Joseph married
Delta Mary Angelo Dowling (she was born in Dayton, Ohio
around 10 Sept. 1870 ) She died in Houston, TX, having lived
there for 34 years. Joseph died in Houston, Tx, having lived there for 50 years, on 08 Jan 1959. A very devout Catholic
Family. Joseph & Delta Mary had 3 sons and 6 daughters.
My husband is son of one of the daughters named Margaret
Dowling Pieri. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Darlene

Posted: 27 Sep 2009 5:21PM GMT
My grandfather was Christopher Patrick Dowling who came to Liverpool in the late 1980s. My mother was the second youngest of his children. I know she had a brother who was brought up in Ireland ,presumably by grandparents. are you possibly related to this son as I don't recognise your name from any of my cousins in England ?

Posted: 28 Sep 2009 5:32PM GMT
Hello Joan,

Was your mother Florence May Dowling, known to the family as Lol?

Sorry for the confusion, but this is not really my family tree, it belongs to my partner Simon, who I think is your cousin? Its just simpler sometimes to say its my tree.

I have quite a lot of names in the 'Dowling & Seddon' family trees, if there is any bits of information you need filling in, I can have a look and let you know.

If you have anything on the Dowlings in Ireland I would be grateful for some information?

Kind regards

Sue

Posted: 30 Sep 2009 7:20PM GMT
Surnames: Dowling
Hi Sue
Yes my mother was Lol and Simon is my cousin although I haven't seen him for a lifetime.

I really don't have any info re Dowlings in Ireland - in fact I haven't got very far at all with tracing the family.

Any info you have would be gratefully received - e mail is billyquinn@talktalk.net

Remember me to the family

Best wishes

Joan

Posted: 22 Mar 2010 2:55AM GMT
Dear Sue,

I was intrigued to find your/Simon's query online. Please contact me at mbbmco@yahoo.com for more information about the family. I am a grand-daughter of Joseph and Esther Dowling (deceased), Mountmellick, and therefore a grand-niece of the late Patrick Dowling.

Best wishes,
Maria

Posted: 29 Aug 2011 9:11PM GMT
Surnames: Michael Dowling, Bridget Bracken
I am the grandson of Elizabeth Dowling, sister of Joseph Dowling. I have information about Michael Dowling (his parents) and Bridget Bracken (her parents). Do not have any information about where in Ireland they came from.

Posted: 30 Aug 2011 2:20PM GMT
were any of your dowlings from brockway new brunswick canada? that's as far back as i can get. my grandmother, elizabeth anne dowling grew up there. her father was daniel dowling..only surviving child of elizabeth carney dowling. don't know what her husbands name was. she had 8 children and all died within months of each other of diptheria. daniel and his mother survived because he was a nursing baby at the time. some of the children died within hrs of each other.

Posted: 30 Aug 2011 2:23PM GMT
i know there's a patrick, isn't there in every dowling family? lol. but i'm sorry, i don't think we're in the same family. most of my grandmother's family were scattered by the time she left to come to the u.s. in 1920-21. but a few brothers stayed around the Brockway new brunswick canada area..william patrick, alexander (sandy), John and Daniel. John and daniel were in WW1, so maybe i can get that information. will let you know if i come up with anything. thank you for your replay

Posted: 31 Aug 2011 9:27PM GMT
Hi, sorry no, I don't think any of my Dowlings were from New Brunswick. The only Dowling I have had confirmation of in Canada is Edward Joseph, born in Mountmellick, Ireland in 1881. I got an email from his grand-daughter some time ago, but have lost contact with her.

His mother was Elizabeth Bacon and his father was Joseph Dowling. I am reliably informed that all his brothers and sisters survived childhood.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions