Search for content in message boards

Thomas Lewis - Middletown, CT/Barnstable, MA connection?

Thomas Lewis - Middletown, CT/Barnstable, MA connection?

Posted: 6 Jun 2002 7:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 Jun 2002 1:32PM GMT
Surnames: LEWIS
I would appreciate any info on Thomas Lewis, husband of Sarah _______, and the father of Zebulon Lewis (b. May 4, 1687 as cited in the Middletown Vital Records). Thomas is my 9g-grandfather, and I have conflicting data regarding the identity of Thomas's parents.

According to "The Lewis Genealogy c. 1600-1970", by Lewis Hodges (my great uncle) and Gail Peacock:

"(3) Thomas Lewis
(From Lewis Letters, Vol. 3, p 64 in the Detroit Burton Historical Collection, by George Lewis of Hingham Center, Mass.)
Thomas Lewis, born July 15, 1656 - married Jane _______ who survived him. He died March 19, 1718. The children were:
Thomas born at Falmouth
John
Joseph
Dinah
George born at Eastham May 6, 1691
Nathaniel " " March 31, 1696
Rebecca " " March 17, 1698
Benjamin " " Oct. 8, 1700
Sarah " " June 2, 1704
Apphia " " May 9,1704
Thomas died March 19, 1718. His will was dated Jan. 15, 1713 and proved April 23, 1718-19. He appointed his wife Jane sole executrix and names sons Thomas, John, George, Nathaniel and Benjamin and four daughters.
(Note: No mention is made here of Zebulon)"

The references to this Thomas that I've found on the internet show he died in Eastham, MA.

However, according to "Middletown town records - Dates of admittance 1658-1730" a certain Thomas Lewis was admitted as an inhabitant on December 29, 1713, along with John Gaines and Robert Collins.

An even more significant however, according to the Middletown Vital records, besides my Zebulon, eight more children were born to Thomas and Sarah from 1689-1707, none of which match the children born to the above-mentioned Thomas and Jane.

The most intriguing however, however, is that some sites show that Zebulon Lewis's mother to be a certain Sarah Bassett, daughter of William Bassett and Mary Rainsford, who (it is supposed) married one Thomas Lewes of Falmouth, MA at Falmouth in 1683. This Sarah Bassett it seems had two half-brothers - one, James Percival, removed to East Haddam, CT - the other, John, remained at Barnstable.

My question is therefore twofold:
1) Who is Zebulon Lewis's mother?
2) Who is Thomas Lewis's father?

Anyone have a good answer? I'd be thrilled to hear from you.

BTW, I have photos of some of Zebulon's descendants starting with Ralph Buckingham Lewis, son of Nathan, son of Augustus, son of Nathan, son of Zebulon. I'd be happy to share.

Thank you,
Rick Seelhoff
RickSeelhoff@yahoo.com

Re: Thomas Lewis - Middletown, CT/Barnstable, MA connection?

Posted: 21 Aug 2002 3:33AM GMT
Surnames: LEWIS
Hi Rick ~
I would be really interested in seeing what you have on this Zebulon Lewis and other Lewis'. My Lewis line contains a Zebulon Lewis, his son, Jabez York Lewis, and son Charles Byron Lewis.... alot of dates and places i have are in and around Barnstable Mass and Scioto County Ohio (and Newark Ohio?) Please advise if you think we may be researching the same Lewis Line~!
All info received is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Posted: 18 Dec 2003 10:37PM GMT
Edited: 19 Dec 2003 4:30PM GMT
Surnames: Lewis
Scioto County caught my attention. My LEWIS line passes through there in around 1841. Is the name Rodman Lewis familiar? His father, Thomas was a clock maker from CT.

Posted: 21 Dec 2003 3:04PM GMT
Surnames: Lewis, Foster
Hi!
I have not yet crossed the name Rodman Lewis in my research yet.. I do remember the name Thomas Lewis, but do not see it in my family tree records right now, so I could be wrong. I will have to check again later.
The time frame you are speaking of is the generation I have with Jabez Lewis and Lydia Foster. They had more than 10 children, and if I recall there were many others who were researching the same line. Some listed 10 children, some listed 11 ~ so it could be this line or relatives of that.
If any of this correlates with your info, let me know.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic