Search for content in message boards

EDWIN P. SHEA - ADAMS, MA

EDWIN P. SHEA - ADAMS, MA

Posted: 25 Jul 2010 1:03AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Shea
Edwin P. Shea was born in Springfield, MA, May 18, 1893. He was one of 7 sons of John F. and Mary A. Sullivan Shea. The family moved from Springfield to Somerville, MA 1900-1910. Three (3) of Edwin’s brothers became priests, John F., Bernard, and Richard.

Edwin P. Shea was enumerated in the 1930 Adams, MA Census with his wife, Frances A., and three (3) children; Mary 7, Richard V. 4, and Elinor 1. He was the owner of a Dry Goods Store on Park Street, Adams.

Any information regarding this family would be appreciated.
Carolyn

Re: EDWIN P. SHEA - ADAMS, MA

Posted: 25 Jul 2010 1:39PM GMT
Surnames: cassidy mccarthy wright sharpe
That store was still there about ten years ago...and pretty big. We were driving through town and my wife, whose maiden name was O'Shea, noticed it.

Posted: 25 Jul 2010 4:25PM GMT
Surnames: Shea. shay
John F. Shea, son of John Shea and Joanna Holland, married Mary A. Sullivan, daughter of Patrick and Nora, on 18 Oct 1887 in Springfield, MA

John F. Shea (listed as John Shay) was born December 18, 1862 in West Springfield, MA
The family is listed as Shay on the 1870 census in West Springfield.Siblings include Daniel, Michael and Julia.

If you would like copies of the registers from the Massachusetts Vital Records containing the above listings, please send me a message via Ancestry and give my your email address. I'll be happy to send them to you.

MR

Posted: 1 Aug 2010 6:48PM GMT
Surnames: SHEA
Thanks for responding. That's very interesting..it must have been a popular store in the area.
Edwin's father was a cousin to my grandmother. Edwin's grandfather emigrated from Ireland prior to 1860 and settled in W. Springfield.
I have to ask...Did your wife's O'Shea ancestors have any connection to the West Springfield area?
Carolyn

Posted: 1 Aug 2010 7:04PM GMT
Surnames: SHEA..LYNCH..GRIFFIN
Thank you for the offer but I do have those records. I recently located Edwin P. Shea, not realizing that he had relocated from the Somerville, MA area. His father was a cousin to my grandmother, Agnes Lynch Griffin. Edwin's grandfather and my gr-gr-grandmother, Johanna Shea Lynch, emigrated from Ireland sometime prior to 1860 and settled in West Springfield.
Thanks again, it was a kind offer.
Carolyn

Posted: 4 Aug 2010 11:02PM GMT
No, these O'Sheas were in and around Queens County, N.Y.

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 8:34PM GMT
I'm looking for relatives of William Patrick O'Shea (1839-1912). He was born in Cahir, Tipperary, Ireland in 1839 and came to the US about 1854.

He would have had brothers in Massachusetts or Connecticut according to sources, and probably stayed with them in 1854 and again in 1869.

His father, Patrick O'Shea, came to the United States "in advance" of the family. He died during the crossing and was buried at sea. The mother's maiden name was Catherine Roach and she stayed in Ireland. She died in 1882.

If any of this rings a bell, please contact me. The rest of William O'Shea's life is pretty well documented, but I know nothing of his possible siblings or much about the parents...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic