Search for content in message boards

Charles Norris Nutes

Charles Norris Nutes

Posted: 22 Aug 2010 6:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Norris/Nutes
The above mentioned person claims to have been picked up by the Royal Navy in the English Channel in 1805 having set sail from his home town, Dunkerque.

Can anybody help me trace his birth and family from the Dunkerque area?

He settled in Gosport and married a local girl after being befriended a local family of shopkeepers.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kind regards

John

Re: Charles Norris Nutes

Posted: 23 Mar 2013 10:08PM GMT
I am a descendant of Charles Norris Nutes as presumably are you if you are interested in his origins. I keep meaning to spend some time in the relevant area to try to trace him, but the French records are all incredibly complicated and quite difficult to access according to my research into how to go about it.

I can't even find the record of his death in Gosport despite a lot of work by the RC priest in the appropriate registers and he's not in Holy Trinity's or St Mary's Alverstoke where the burial ground was.

I'd be interested to know where you fit into the family tree if you can spare the time to satisfy my curiosity. We might have other snippets to share.

Regards

Cynthia Warren
descendant through John Norris line

Posted: 23 Mar 2013 11:40PM GMT
Dear Cynthia

Thank you for posting. My wife, Angela, is related to him through her gran via John Norris - therefore the same line as you.

Her gran, Ella, was John's great grand-daughter through George and Percy.

It would be interesting to know what you know about the family.

Yours sincerely

John

Posted: 26 Mar 2013 2:57PM GMT
Surnames: Norris Nutes, Viner, Pitts
Dear John and Angela

My reply to your posting went astray, I am informed.

I am descended from one of George Norris's sisters and well remember Uncle Percy and Auntie Olive, Gordon and Ella as well as Uncle Ralph, Uncle Ivan (David) and their families in Locks Heath. Freda died fairly recently and I inherited Uncle Percy's apprentice peiece copper kettle through her. Even more recently Ralph Pitts died at Wellow, son of Percy's other sister Elsie . I am also in touch with
Geoff Viner, another descendant of Ella snr.

How do we continue this contact more directly and privately?

Posted: 26 Mar 2013 4:53PM GMT
Hi there,

I've sent you a private message.

Kind regards

John Biscoe
per page

Find a board about a specific topic