Search for content in message boards

US military -how to key numbers

US military -how to key numbers

Posted: 28 Oct 2013 5:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
Am going back to change all the 3 letter abbreviations for the month to numbers. Can someone tell me how to get the Month column to accept 2 digits? it will accept a single number, such as 1 for Jan. but won't accept 2 digits such as 12 for Dec. You'd think that the powers that be would make sure numbers were acceptable into the software before imposing such instructions.

Kathie

Re: US military -how to key numbers

Posted: 28 Oct 2013 5:57PM GMT
Edited: 28 Oct 2013 6:16PM GMT
Trial and error, I found that for the three possible two digits months (10, 11, 12), it will accept the 1; but like you said, not the second digit. Use F12 key and it will accept the second digit. Also found it will save time if you do not F7 each line to accept the month numbers. Just finish up your image (mine had 200 lines per image) and you can F7 the possible numbers 1 - 12 only 12 times versus doing it 200 times. If you wait to F7 the numeric month field after keying all lines in the image, you'll get the Are you sure? box asking if you would like to accept all of them and click yes.

Also, I would wait to submit your sets. It is still up in the air about how to key months when shown as 07 (do we key the 0 or drop the zero?). I'm leaning on dropping the leading zero because we drop them when keying days, but that is just my opinion. Wait for official answer.

Posted: 28 Oct 2013 6:15PM GMT
Thank you so much! Sometimes the sheer frustration makes me want to quit keying permanently.

Kathie

Posted: 28 Oct 2013 6:24PM GMT
That is what I have been concerned about! I really feel for the people who have to compose the wikis - there is a very good chance that not every question will be answered and you'll have to be diligent about keeping up with the wiki page (be sure and click the "watch" tab at the top) and the discussion boards. I've been keying for close to two years now so I'm used to waiting for clarification on certain projects. Please don't give up! Just key your sets and hold on to them until hopefully your questions are answered. You can always send a note to WAP if your questions are not answered on the wiki or discussion boards (worldarchivessupport@ancestry.com). Be prepared to wait a bit for the answer though :)

Posted: 28 Oct 2013 6:43PM GMT
I did send a query to Anna yesterday regarding the keying of single digit months. Hopefully she will answer soon. I also asked her to add something to the keying standards on how to handle keying this. The keying of digits for months has been added to the new projects and I know I've missed some too.

Karen
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions