Search for content in message boards

Martha Proctor(b. June 4, 1666- ??)

Martha Proctor(b. June 4, 1666- ??)

Posted: 4 May 2010 8:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Proctor, Gowing
I have a tie to John proctor through Martha...seems as though Martha married a Nathaniel Gowing..
does any one have a tie to this line..
Anyone able to help cast any light on this for me?

Re: Martha Proctor(b. June 4, 1666- ??)

Posted: 7 May 2010 6:40PM GMT
Surnames: Proctor, Gowing, Gowins
Bingo! That is also my link.

The name "Going" has had several different spellings, including "Gowins" and "Goings".

My Great Grandmother was Elizabeth Going, but was sometime spelled Goings. Her father was killed in the Civil War and there seemed to be no trace of his line available on the internet. Then I began to trace the name on census source documents for the part of Ohio that Elizabeth was from. There were several other Gowing/Gowings living right next to my Elizabeth's family. One was her Grandmother and another was an Uncle. By tracking the other families, discovered a brother to Elizabeth's father and a cousin of that line with an extensive genealogy file.

That file, with parts compiled many, many years ago by an ancestor, gave the lineage back to Martha and John Proctor.

I can share the relavent parts of the file, if you wish.

best regards, Paul

Posted: 16 May 2010 5:03AM GMT
Surnames: Proctor, Gowing, Gowin, Gowins
My line of Gowins/Gowin/Gowing is descended from Nathaniel (Martha Proctor's husband). I've just managed to piece it all together down to my grandfather from Uhrichsville, Ohio. I'm happy to share.

I'm related to Elizabeth's brother William whose father (John T. Gowin) died of disease in the Civil War.

This web site has been incredibly helpful to me:
http://mitchell.familytreeguide.com/tree_index.php.

Click on "Gowing" on the front page.

Good luck!
Jenn

Posted: 17 May 2010 8:59PM GMT
Surnames: Gowins/Gowing/Gowin
Hi, Cousin Jennifer.
Thank you for responding. I knew John T. died in Chattanooga, TN, but didn't know why. Do you know what illness he had?

Paul

Posted: 18 May 2010 1:13AM GMT
Hi, Paul:

We're all cousins around here it seems!

I'm not sure what John T. died from. By doing a little military research, I discovered that his company/regiment had more soldiers die of disease than die in action. I'll let you know if I ever discover what killed him.

Jenn

Posted: 20 May 2010 4:22PM GMT
Here is how it works for me
Martha & Nathaniel had a son..Ebenezer (1702-1781)he,married
Elizabeth Eaton...they have son..another
Ebenezer(1732-1822) he and his wife Abiggail Symonds have..
Ezekiel(1764-1847) he marries Lucy Douglas they have daughter..Bathsheba(1803-1880)..she marries a George Lancey.
they have a Son Eli, who is the father to a son Wilber...
Now Wilber marries his 1st cousin Emma Lizzie Cook...their son is Chester who is the father to my grandmother Vera.
I have more info on this family and can share more.
I am so curious as to how people fit in along the way.
I would be so thankful and delighted to any insights anyone could provide...This is just so fascinating.......

Posted: 22 May 2010 3:30AM GMT

I follow the same line from Nathaniel . . . but I am related to Ebenezer and Abigail's other son Ebenezer. He had a son John (my great4 grandfather) who came with his brother (another Ebenezer) from Maine to Ohio.

Posted: 22 Nov 2012 4:07AM GMT
Surnames: Gowing, Going, Gowen, Proctor
Martha Proctor is my 7th gr grandmother. Her son Benjamin Gowing is my line. Would love any more info available. Thanks!!!

Lee Ann

Posted: 22 Nov 2012 4:08AM GMT
Surnames: Gowing, Going, Gowen, Proctor
Martha Proctor is my 7th gr grandmother. Her son Benjamin Gowing is my line. Would love any more info available. Thanks!!!

Lee Ann

Posted: 1 Feb 2013 5:07AM GMT
Surnames: Going gowing Proctor
I started this search because of the Jonathan who was born in 1786 came from Worc. Ma to Ohio to head a college. He was a Baptist pastor.I was researching the family line of the man who had built my childhood home-He too was a Pastor and a Rev "Mr Going " had spoken at his ordination ceremony in 1819. I was immediatly intrigued because Going was my maiden name and so i began to search and sure enough i traced my line back to Ebenezer's brother Benjamin(and then beyond to The Gowing who came from England), So my line goes to Benjamin and the line of Jonathan Going who spoke@the ordination of the the Man who built a house(in 1820) that my father would eventually buy in the 1960's goes to Ebenezer. The Proctor part was very interesting.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions