Search for content in message boards

U S MIlitary Part 2

U S MIlitary Part 2

Posted: 27 Oct 2013 2:19AM GMT
Classification: Query
The field help for military month states if the month appears as a number key as a number but there is nothing in the instruction about it. If this is correct for the (yr,mon,day) format how would we key 71 07 06? Would the month be 07 or just 7?

Re: U S MIlitary Part 2

Posted: 27 Oct 2013 3:15AM GMT
I would say key as a 7, since we don't key leading zeroes on days.

You're right that the wiki does not match the field help. I will add the sentence to the wiki.

Karen

Posted: 27 Oct 2013 2:17PM GMT
Karen,

I would like to hear from Anna about the months being changed to numbers. Usually it is the field help that is wrong. I don't think WAP would make a major change like this without informing us first.

Posted: 27 Oct 2013 3:08PM GMT
This is not the only project that the months are to be keyed as 3 char or numbers. All the newer projects are showing this way. I think what may have happened is that they used the 'template' from the military part 1 project and copied it over to the military part 2 project. Military part 1 was before they started implementing the change.

Karen

Posted: 27 Oct 2013 6:50PM GMT
Well, I regret having the field help turned-off and only reading the wiki instructions as I entered many dates as 3-char versus numerals prior to seeing the wiki update this morning. Ugh.

So this means an F7 for every month represented as a numeral. Which of course a two-key operation on my laptop. Ugh.

Posted: 28 Oct 2013 9:22AM GMT
The pages I'm doing has leading 0s for months. My kneejerk is to do what i see. So you're saying don't use leading zeros even if the text we are indexing uses leading zeros?

Posted: 28 Oct 2013 12:15PM GMT
Both my wiki and my field hep state to key the month as a 3 digit character, not as a number. Can someone please tell me what is happening? Why should I have a different wiki & field help?

Kathie

Posted: 28 Oct 2013 2:40PM GMT
Sorry-meant to say that my wiki & field help state to key it as the 3 letter abbreviation-not 3 digit character.
Kathie

Posted: 28 Oct 2013 4:05PM GMT
Are you definitely on Part 2, not Part 1, Kathie?

Posted: 28 Oct 2013 5:17PM GMT
Yes-US Military Registers, 1862-1970 (Part 2). Both the Wiki and field help for the sets I have say to type the month using the 3 letter abbreviation. Just went back and checked the Wiki and at the bottom it states to key a number. Has that been added after we started?. So much for my accuracy- Here I've been keying the 3 letter abbreviation. What a week!.

Thanks;
Kathie
per page

Find a board about a specific topic