Search for content in message boards

Looking for info on Greek relatives

Looking for info on Greek relatives

Posted: 28 Sep 2012 5:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kelondis, Stratas
I'm looking for any info on either the Kelondis or Stratas families. They lived on the Island of Patmos.

Re: Looking for info on Greek relatives

Posted: 12 Oct 2012 7:57AM GMT
I'm not related with a island of Patmos but there are many "Stratas" in the white pages of Patmos. It would be usefull to write more information such us names or village or the story of your family

Re: Looking for info on Greek relatives from Patmos

Posted: 13 Oct 2012 11:30PM GMT
Surnames: Kaloudi, Matheos & Vallas
I also have 1/2 of my family tree from the Island of Patmos. They came over in 1908 and 1920. Their last names were Kaloudi, Matheos and Vallas. If you discover a way to research the ancestral history of people from Patmos, let me know. Also did you know that Patmos was taken over by the Russians in 1775. My great grandfather Gus Kaloudi spoke fluent Russian and traveled to Russia for trade purposes and my great great grandfather Dimitri Vallas lost his legs (frozen) while working in Siberia. There must be a fascinating history of Patmos waiting to be uncovered.

Posted: 14 Oct 2012 2:20PM GMT
Dear Ralph

You seem to know about Russian occupation on Patmos. My Roussos family lived in Issari, Greece. When my father died, I found among his possessions a Russian Hero pin. To date, I have no idea where or how he received it. His gr.gr.grandfather and grandfather I am sure were in the military. We also have a Vallas who married into the Roussos family in Issari. Her name was Maria Vallas who married Demetrios John Roussos. Her father's name was Illias according to her Issari death certificate. Would appreciate knowing more about the Russian connection to those that lived in Greece about the late 1700s.

Thanks

Marie

Posted: 14 Oct 2012 9:02PM GMT
Surnames: Vallas
Hi Marie:

Thanks for the reply. My knowledge about Patmos Russian connection comes from online research. My grandmother or Yiayia's name is Anastasia, a name common in Russia plus she had some Russian religous symbol that was her prized possession. What year was Maria Vallas born? My great grandmother's brothers names were Andy, Pete and Steve (English verisions) THey were born in the 1880s.
Thanks,
Ralph

Posted: 15 Oct 2012 11:31AM GMT
Hi Ralph

Thank you very much for your response, appreciate it.

Maria Vallas was born March 12, 1880 in Issari, Greece. Unfortunately I have no other family for Maria other than her father's name.

I will try searching online for more information on the Russian occupation of Greece. Possible one of my Roussos line stayed in Issari and married a greek girl.

Take care
Marie

Posted: 16 Oct 2012 4:41AM GMT
Hi Marie:

I think that a number of Russian Men married some of the Greek girls on Patmos. I am fair skinned and my greek relatives are not the typical dark skinned Greeks who tan very easily.

I think that Maria Vallas could be a first cousin of my Great Grandmother Evidokia Vallas who was born in 1882.

Take care,
Buddy

Posted: 23 Feb 2013 8:24PM GMT
I know rouses from Patmos, some of whom now live in Australia?

Posted: 24 Feb 2013 1:32AM GMT
I noticed some silly comments.
Russians were friends of Greece and helped Greece in the war against Turkey. Katerina the Great had two admirals (The brothers Orlof) in Greece helping Greeks.
They were also involved in the education and employment of Greek Orphans and children of very poor families, etc etc.

The name Rousso has nothing to do with Russia, it is an italian name and means "Red".

Re: Looking for info on Greek relatives

Posted: 24 Apr 2013 3:24AM GMT
I have an Anastasia Stratiotis in my family tree!

-Nicole
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions