Search for content in message boards

early german immigrants to u.s.

early german immigrants to u.s.

Judy Ely (View posts)
Posted: 26 Aug 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Mize
My grandfather's name was Joe K Mize or "Dekater" Mize. My father, Roy E. Mize who had a twin (Troy) told the story that several brothers left Germany for the U.S.. The story goes that they were not on very good terms. My grandfather married Mary Ann Freeman, an american indian in Arkansas. Maybe there is a link. My father was born 1/26/1914.

Me too!

Curtis Gregory Mize (View posts)
Posted: 23 Oct 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Mize, Gregory
I have always heard that my relatives came from Germany and that they were brothers. I have also been told that I had Irish and American Indian blood in me also. Do you know anything about any of these??

mize info

Judy Ely (View posts)
Posted: 1 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Mize, Freeman
Hi Curtis. I also have Irish and Indian heritage. My grand father's name was DeKater Mize. He married Mary Ann Freeman who I have been told is one-half Cherokee Indian. My
father, Roy E. Mize is one of 11 or 12 children born to Mary
Ann and DeKater. I have not gotten any further back than that. I'm not sure about the Irish.

Mize Origins

Nathan Mize (View posts)
Posted: 19 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
I, too, have heard the German brothers story. As far as substantiated documentation, the Mizes have been traced back to a James Mize, who lived in Surry County, Virginia, in 1696. Beyond that is speculative. A recurring legend involves a German whaling ship that sailed from Rotterdam, stopped off in the British Isles, and then sailed on to America. Virginia was a very English colony, especially that early on, so I wonder about the German connection, although the name could easily be of German origin (so are many English names). Some Mizes believe the family was of Irish or Welsh descent. But the prevalence of the German brothers' story, especially the bit about them not getting along and splitting up when they got here, reminds me of things I heard from my grandfather when he was still alive. I can't imagine a bunch of Mizes being argumentative and not getting along (insert sarcastic tone here). Really makes me wonder.
Posted: 1 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 16 Mar 2003 4:51PM GMT
Surnames: Gregory
I have definitely GREGORYs from round Berlin amongst my ancestors.
Gottfried GREGORY (1655-1718)
m.1689
Johanna METZNER (1672-1705)

apart from their daughter Elisabeth (1690-1767) I don't have any more information on them but there was a "VON GREGORY" line in the 18th & 19th C. in Germany.

Re: Mize Origins

Posted: 29 Jul 2001 5:57PM GMT
Edited: 20 Mar 2002 2:55AM GMT
email me so we can compare story on the two mize brothers

Re: early german immigrants to u.s.

Nathan Mize (View posts)
Posted: 4 Sep 2001 1:09AM GMT
I have done a little more research, and have found that there were Mizes living in Germany as far back as the 1700s and in England as far back as the 1500s. The Mizes in America were traced back to Colonial Virginia in the 1600s. They spread out from there (my particular branch went to South Carolina).

German immigrants tended to go directly to Pennsylvania early on (1600s) or to the Carolinas and Georgia later on (1700s). I have not found where there was any great influx of German immigrants in Virginia that early, but then there's no proof that there weren't. It also stands to reason that there may have been Mizes who originated in Germany and settled in England for a while (several years or even many generations).

Re: Me too!

Posted: 19 Nov 2001 7:08AM GMT
Edited: 21 Feb 2002 7:16AM GMT
This is for the Me too message about having Irish, Am. Indian, and German blood. So did my dad. He had grandfather William Aley(they changed it when they got to American, was Ely) who came over with his brother, stowed away on a ship, escaping, as one killed one of Napolean's guards. William and Caroline(Fass?) gave birth to my dad's dad Ben Aley 1876, Montague, Michigan. They did not want to talk about Germany or Prussia as it is stated on their records.....My dad related to famous Ottawa Indian Quis Mo Qua who married Blue Eyes Anderson. Her grandfather was Chief Blackbird. Also, I have much info on the Robinson side...my dad's mother's maiden name, and her great grandmother Rix. Anyone related?
Posted: 16 May 2002 5:24AM GMT
Please email me at Riverwoman@Excite.com if you are related, and have read my previous posting about William and Caroline coming over from Prussia in mid 1800's. thanks from denise

Re: Mize Origins

Posted: 23 Jan 2004 3:49AM GMT
I have "The Isaac Mize Family of Eastern Kentucky" book that has several theories of the Mizes origins including brothers coming from Ireland, migrated from germany to France then Englad where they worked to earn passage to America, Three brothers from Germany landing in Georgia or S. Carolina, another tradition is they came from Germany to Northern France to north Carolina in Orange County or Township & even emigrated on a German whaling vessel if you don't have this book I'd be happy to share any pictures or info that's in it. It's very fascinating
sincerely
susan reedy
reedy@erinet.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions