Search for content in message boards

Database(s) of different types of vessels operating on Lake Pontchartrain and other inland waters.

Database(s) of different types of vessels operating on Lake Pontchartrain and other inland waters.

Posted: 11 Oct 2011 1:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Barringer, Pierce
My research on the Barringer and Pierce families have led me to water! My great grandfather James M. "Captain Jim" Barringer operated schooner's on Lake Pontchartrain and the waterways leading off of it.

I have found a "St. Tammany Farmer" article dated 1898, stating:

"Capt. Barringer contemplates a trip up the Amite River, consequently the "Fred Gross" will not be seen on these waters for a few weeks."

This is one of several vessels it is said to have been either owned and operated or operated by him. Does anyone know of a local database other than the Coast Guard that may have info on boats, ships, etc. in the late 1800's and early 1900's? I'll be hitting the Court House and the local Maritime Museum at some time this week (hopefully) to look for info. I thought asking here and getting a fresh look at it would help.

Thanks for any and all help!

Re: Database(s) of different types of vessels operating on Lake Pontchartrain and other inland waters.

Posted: 25 Oct 2011 8:07PM GMT
I'd like to know if such a source exists, too. There are apparently records of shipping in and out of the port of Bayou St. John (the way to New Orleans from Lake P.) dating to the early 1800s. I encountered references to them in the book 'St. Tammany Parish - L'Autre Cote du Lac' by Frederick Ellis. Where those records may be found and viewed, I don't know.

My ancestor Uriah Smith was an early resident of St. Tammany (1770s) and apparently ran a sloop back and forth from what's now Mandeville to New Orleans on a fairly regular basis in 1804, according to those Port of Bayou St John records mentioned by Mr. Ellis.

Re: Database(s) of different types of vessels operating on Lake Pontchartrain and other inland waters.

Posted: 8 Jul 2012 1:22PM GMT
I am also a great granddaughter of James barrenger. I am just looking to the family. I would be interested in sharing info

Posted: 9 Jul 2012 2:37AM GMT
Surnames: Barringer, Pierce
Hi,

I'm so happy to have "met" you! My cell # is 985-373-3960. Please give me a call and we can talk about our families and share info!

Posted: 9 Jul 2012 2:42AM GMT
We should all keep in touch and hopefully find more info!

Posted: 25 Jul 2012 2:40PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jul 2012 2:41PM GMT
My husband's grandfather was a riverboat captain and lived in St. Tammany. I know one of the boats was the Susquehannah.

Posted: 25 Jul 2012 3:09PM GMT
Hi Barbara!

We've talked before... I'm not sure which family though. My father is/was a GILMORE,GARNER, ODOM, etc and my mother line is DUBELL, BROOKS, ROBERTS, STEPHENS etc. All in north Louisiana.

Anyway... As for the boat captains... do you have any idea as to where we can get any of the sort of information? I called the Coast Guard, etc and got ziltch. I haven't given up, but life has a way of getting in my way! *G* Hope you are doing well!

Lisa Gilmore Lier
per page

Find a board about a specific topic