Search for content in message boards

POW camps in Germany during WWII

POW camps in Germany during WWII

Posted: 29 Apr 2012 7:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Schendel
My father was a POW after being shot down over France. He was treated by the Germans for a broken ankle and transferred to a camp for airmen. According to a record on ancestry.com he was held in camp 091. He also told me that before he was released the Germans disappeared and the Russians came through the camp within days of the Germans leaving. This number does not reference with any thing I have found on the internet. Can anyone help with this or know where I can find the location of the camp he was held in. Thank You.

Re: POW camps in Germany during WWII

Posted: 29 Apr 2012 9:41PM GMT
I don't know if this will help, but you may find it interesting. I could find no camp with number 091 either.
http://www.merkki.com/

Posted: 30 Apr 2012 12:34AM GMT
Edited: 30 Apr 2012 12:35AM GMT
and you are right, there is no match for this number.

http://www.prisonerofwar.org.uk/camp_list.htm

on merkki is only one with this name, with note, from
Stalag IV

complete name list POW Stalag IV + informations about the life there.

http://www.801492.org/Air%20Crew/BWI%20Indexed.pdf

Posted: 30 Apr 2012 2:39AM GMT
I might suggest that you fill out a "tracing form" with the American Red Cross. They have a wonderful relationship with the German Red Cross and they may be able to help. My great-uncle was lost during World War II and the family didn't know what happened. I filled out a tracing form and 3 months later got an envelope with 11 pages of documents that included where and how he died and where he was buried. It was amazing. The service is free. Here's a link: http://www.redcross.org/portal/site/en/menuitem.53fabf6cc033...
Good Luck!

Posted: 1 May 2012 6:14PM GMT
Thank you, this has been an adventure since my father would not talk about his time very much. I will go to the web site and fill out the form. Thank you again, Ed

Posted: 1 May 2012 6:20PM GMT
Thank you for the link. I have actually found where camp 091 was located at the National Archives. I wasn't aware of a searchable data base there for POW's. In that search I found that he was held at Stalag Luft IV but was transfered to another camp before the Death March to Berlin. Again thank you, Ed

Posted: 1 May 2012 6:34PM GMT
Thank you for the reply. I did in fact find that site plus others that had some history on these camps. My father had always said that he was held prisoner about 20 miles from where his grandmother was raised. From what I've found she was from the Stetin area. I did in fact find that he was held in Stalag Luft IV and possibly transferred to Stalag Luft I. According to his discharge papers he was a prisoner from 27 May 44 to 13 May 45. His story of being liberated goes along with what was said on the web site about Stalag Luft I, that they were liberated completely by 15 May 45. I have even found a video showing the prisoners being liberated at Stalag Luft I, very interesting. Thank you so much for your reply.

Posted: 1 May 2012 6:57PM GMT
Ed ... let me know how it turns out! Be patient, but it will be worth the wait! Carol

Posted: 2 May 2012 3:22PM GMT
I have the application and plan on sending it this week. Again thank you for your reply. I will contact you when I receive any information. I do believe that I have found the camp he was liberated from and that was Stalag Luft I, also found a video of the liberation on the web. The date of the video and the history of the camp follows the story of his recollection of the liberation. The date of the video match the date of liberation on his discharge papers. Thank you so much for your help Carol

Posted: 2 May 2012 5:39PM GMT
Could you send me a link to where you found the POW camp he was liberated in? I'd like to check it out. You can email me at norwoodcj@aol.com! Thanks, Carol
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions