Search for content in message boards

"Starlen" Hill, Muster Roll of Champion Mading

"Starlen" Hill, Muster Roll of Champion Mading

Posted: 27 Dec 2001 8:21AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Apr 2002 2:36AM GMT
Surnames: Hill, Mading
A "Starlen" Hill is listed as no. 19, a Private, on the "Muster Roll of Captain Champion Mading's Company of Mounted Volunteers, called into the service of the United States, by the order of the Commander-of-Chief of the Militia of the State of Illinois, from the 5th day of May 1832 to the 31st day of August, 1832". Possibly, this is your Hill. "Starlen" as handwritten on the roster may be misspelled. Champion Mading resided in Edwards County, Illinois when he recevied his Captain's commision and raised a company of 44 horsemen with guns (cavalry). Most of these men came from Edwards County. This action was known as the Black Hawk War. The surrender of The Native American, Chief Black Hawk, came at the mouth of the Bad Axe River on the Mississippi River in Wisconsin. Champion and his Company were on hand at that surrender.

Re: "Starlen" Hill, Muster Roll of Champion Mading

James Mading (View posts)
Posted: 13 Apr 2004 4:33AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Madding Mading
Correction about Black Hawk.

Since my post of 27 Dec 2001, I have found more information about Black Hawk and it contradicts some statments that I made. What I have since found is:

1. Black Hawk was never a chief; He was a warrior. His Chief was Keokuck.

2. He was not captured at the Bad Axe river. His band was decimated there, and during the night, Black Hawk and some braves made it across the river and fled. The militia decided not to pursure as they were tired, and Black Hawk's capacity was greatly diminished. It was presumed that he could be rounded up later. Some time later, it was the Winnebagos who captured him peaceably and convinced him to give up. They brought him in for the reward. But before he was brought in, a week was spent while the Native American Women made a white deerskin garment for Black Hawk that was suitable for a person of his position and a sign of honor.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic