Search for content in message boards

Lyman is Lehmann?

Lyman is Lehmann?

Posted: 28 Feb 2010 8:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Lyman, Lehmann
Are there any other Lymans out there (probably from New York or Wisconsin) who have found their name actually used to be Lehmann? I always run into Lymans here and in person who are of British descent (which I am not) and so I was just curious as to if anyone else has run into this while researching the name Lyman?

Re: Lyman is Lehmann?

Posted: 13 Oct 2011 2:02AM GMT
while researching I have found 2 other variations, Liefman and Lieneman. Both of which show England or France as the origination. I believe i read of some Lymans/leeman/leyman in Ireland/Scottland.

Posted: 8 Jan 2012 11:07PM GMT
I have seen on later 1880 Census, etc. of several Lyman's listed in NY State as being from Ireland.

Posted: 14 Jun 2012 8:10PM GMT
My grandfather changed Leimann to Lyman. My ancestry is from Prussia and is: Lyman (1850's), Leimann (1760's), Leymann (1730's), Leymand (1650's.

Posted: 13 May 2015 11:21AM GMT
Surnames: Lyman, Leman, Leofman
What I have learnt from my own family tree is that Lyman was Leman in the early 1000s CE and before that it was Leofman. We originally came as Saxons from the Netherlands to England at around 800 CE after the Romans left. I have traced my tree back to 1000 CE and the first few (oldest) were Leman.
By the way, Leofman means 'lover man', which derives directly from Old Saxon and Dutch and those came from Proto-Germanic language originally; Wiktionary has a good description of Leof.
I have read from other sources that there are very many variations of Lyman, including perhaps Lehmann, which is also of Germanic origin.
My genetic results from many different companies all point to my being German and most like the modern day Dutch people, yet my Lyman line came directly from England in the 1600s to the US. In fact, the first registered death and one of the founding members of Hartford, Connecticut was my Lyman ancestor. This all fits perfectly with my surname origins. Hope this helps you and/or others : )
per page

Find a board about a specific topic