Search for content in message boards

Children listed under mother's maiden name?

Children listed under mother's maiden name?

Posted: 12 Dec 2004 4:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Baker, Becherer, Schlink, Langendoerfer, Rickert
I have a ship's passenger list (LaHarve to NY in 1847) where my ancestor's appear as:
Joseph Becherer, 30, M, Baden Weaver
Catherina Schlink, 28, F
Ansolem Schlink, 4, M
Juliana Schlink, 3 months, F

The next passenger has the full place and occupation.

Now I know that Julia and John Ansolem are always shown as the children of Joseph and Catherina in subsequent records and that women were sometimes listed under their maiden names on ship's records, but how common is it to have the children listed under the mother's maiden name?

Should I read more into this? Is it possible that they were not married and met either on shipboard or along the emmigration route from Baden and simply told everyone they were married?

Jim Baker

Re: Children listed under mother's maiden name?

Posted: 14 Sep 2010 4:03AM GMT
My great grandmother brought my grandfather and his sister with her, and they were listed under her maiden name-she was Italian. I have read this was to keep all the family together. Her husband was already and she travelled alone with her children.

Posted: 14 Sep 2010 4:03AM GMT
My great grandmother brought my grandfather and his sister with her, and they were listed under her maiden name-she was Italian. I have read this was to keep all the family together. Her husband was already and she travelled alone with her children.

Posted: 14 Sep 2010 4:20AM GMT
That is unusual!

Italian custom was the wife kept her maiden name. BUT the children should have used their father's surname.

Robert

Posted: 14 Sep 2010 4:46AM GMT
The children were illegitimate. The parents married after the voyage but before they came to Pennsylvania.
The area of Baden they lived in was very Catholic, but had an illegitimacy rate of 25 percent. Generally the oldest boy had the money to marry; the younger boys were on their own.

Posted: 14 Sep 2010 5:24AM GMT
Yes, I do know it was custom for the wife to keep her maiden name. I just think she asked for her children to be shown with her name to be sure she kept with them. She probably didn't know anyone else onboard. Her husband was already here.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic