Search for content in message boards

Reverend Andrew Baker Davidson

Reverend Andrew Baker Davidson

Bill Davidson (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jan 2004 6:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Davidson, Davison, Womack, Baker, Pitzer
Reverend Andrew Baker Davidson (who supposedly married a Susan B. Dorman) is said to be from Rockbridge County, VA and is said to be the son of a William Davidson and a Martha Baker. I had originally thought that a William Davidson of Prince Edward County and a Martha Baker of Prince Edward County had my 4th ggf Baker Davidson, who married Elizabeth "Betsey" Womack in Prince Edward County. This Baker Davidson (whoever his parents actually were) and this Elizabeth "Betsey" Womack Davidson had 5 children (per her Prince Edward County will): Mary "Polly," Lavinia, William, "Jr.," Archer and Baker, "Jr."

I have seen an Internet site that claims that the William Davidson who was the father of Reverend Andrew Baker Davidson was from Rockbridge County, not Prince Edward County, but most still claim that the mother was Martha Baker from Prince Edward County, VA (whose parents were Douglas(s) Baker and Jane Thompson Baker). If "my" Baker Davidson was not a son of Martha Baker Davidson of Prince Edward County, then I am at a loss as to who his mother was.

To complicate things further, "my" Baker Davidson and his father William (apparently) were in Botetourt County, VA, per the 1794 tax rolls there. In 1820, another relative of theirs also appears in Botetourt County (Elizabeth A. "Betsyan/Betsy Ann" Blanton Davidson). Two of Reverend Davidson's supposed sisters, Charlotte and Ginny "Jane," are said to have been married in Botetourt, so that is another "wierd" connection between these two possibly unrelated families. The Reverend's supposed sister Charlotte Davidson is said to have married a John Pitzer in 1994, and a Capt. John Pitzer, Jr. appears on the original tax roll for the newly formed Alleghany County, VA in 1822, along with a Capt. Baker Davidson! This John Pitzer, Jr. had been the sheriff of Botetourt County at the time.

Does anyone have any information on the parents of Rev. Andrew Baker Davidson? What about his siblings (a Baker family site lists him as the only child of William Davidson and Martha Baker Davidson, but other sites, as stated above, show him with several siblings). Any/all help to unravel this confusion between Baker Davidsons would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Reverend Andrew Baker Davidson

Bill Davidson (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jan 2004 6:25PM GMT
I should have said 1794, not 1994, for the marriage of John Pitzer and Charlotte Davidson.

Posted: 21 Jul 2007 1:35AM GMT
Surnames: pitzer
John Pitzer jr. who married Charolette Davidison had a son named James Davidison Pitzer. James Davidison Pitzer had a son namaed Andrew Baker Pitzer b. 1845 in Ohio. If William Davidison is the father of Charolette and Andrew Baker Davidison this makes since to me.

Posted: 5 Aug 2007 5:07PM GMT
New INFO: William Davidson (died 1812; left a will in Botetourt) and Martha Baker (died 1829, per a Botetourt newspaper obit) moved from the Buckingham/Prince Edward Co., VA area to Botetourt Co., VA in 1774 (bought land from a John Murray, who was an officer who was killed shortly thereafter in Lord Dunsmore's War, I believe). This land became part of Rockbridge Co., VA in 1778, and then William and Martha (Baker) Davidson moved again to what was still Botetourt around 1782 (bought land there from a Mr. Greenlee). William and Martha apparently had 9 children (8 of these children were still living in 1812, per William's will, but only 2 of the 8 children were mentioned by name in that will):

1 Baker (married Elizabeth "Betsy" Womack; Baker died by 1805)
2 William "Junior" (married Jinny Davidson....from another Davidson family; APPARENTLY was the Captain William Davidson who died in Botetourt in 1829 at the age of 52...per a Botetourt newspaper obit)
3 Reverend Andrew Baker (married Susan Dorman; the Reverend died in 1861)
4 Joseph (married Jinny Wilson; Joseph died by 1814)
5 Probably Thomas (first wife is unknown; second wife was Mrs. Betsy Hagans; Thomas died by 1839)
6 Charlotte (married John Pitzer, Jr.)
7 Sarah/Sally (married Robert Davidson....from another Davidson family)
8 Ginny/Jane (married John McCartney)
9 Probably Elizabeth (had an "affair" with David Smith that produced a son and daughter who took "Davidson" as their last names)

I have traced this Davidson family with some confidence back to James City Co., VA (where a David Davidson and a William Davidson both died in 1687). I now have a "ton" of additional info on this overall Davidson family, if anyone is interested.

Posted: 18 Apr 2010 4:27PM GMT
UPDATE: It now seems certain that William Davidson and Martha Baker did not buy land from the Murray family in Botetourt Co., VA in 1774. That was a different and unrelated (per DNA testing) William Davidson who came to VA from PA (he married Sarah McCoy and the widow Mrs. Elizabeth (Wilson) McCRea). It now appears that William Davidson and Martha Baker bought land in Botetourt by 1779 (and their land never became part of Rockbridge Co., VA, it appears).

Also, the Joseph Davidson (died 1820s) who married Jinny Wilson was out of the above-referenced William Davidson from PA (whose land in Botetourt became part of Rockbridge Co., VA in 1778). The unrelated Joseph Davidson (died 1814), who WAS a son of William and Martha (Baker) Davidson, apparently died without a wife or children.

The Thomas Davidson who I showed as a possible son of William and Martha (Baker) Davidson now seems to have been from yet another/third Davidson/Davison family in the Botetourt/Rockbridge Co., VA area (per DNA testing). Also, the Elizabeth "Betsy Ann" Davidson who had an affair with a David Smith MAY have been out of that unrelated Thomas Davidson, versus out of William and Martha (Baker) Davidson (based a couple "clues").

Based on tax lists in the 1780s in Botetourt, it appears that William and Martha (Baker) Davidson had an oldest son whose name is not proven....and who seems to have left Botetourt (or died) by 1785. The four younger known sons were 1) Baker Davidson, 2) William Davidson, Junior, 3) Rev. Andrew Baker Davidson and Joseph Davidson.

Posted: 30 Mar 2012 11:19PM GMT
I have just discovered my great grandmother Mary Davidson Walz , was a granddaughter of Rev. Andrew Baker Davidson. She died in Davenport, Iowa, when her only child, my grandfather, was 2 or 3, so this Davidson family history was lost. Her husband was also originally from Lexington, Va., where they presumably married; his German immigrant father (William Walz) fought for the CSA in the Stonewall Jackson Brigade. Any info you have on William and Martha Davidson and their ancestors would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you in advance!

Posted: 19 Sep 2012 7:34PM GMT
William Davidson married Martha Baker (a daughter of Douglas Baker and Jane Thompson...and that Jane Thompson was a daughter of Reverend John Thomson and the Reverend's presumed wife Margaret Osborne). William Davidson appears to have been a son of the David Davidson (born circa-1715 in James City Co., VA) who married Mary Giles and who died in Buckingham Co., VA around 1798. This Davidson family was part of DNA "Family 10" at www.davidsongenes.org, and it has been "traced back" to the "first" known David Davidson....who was born in Holland, lived in James City Co., VA (JCCo) by at least 1682 and who died around 1687 in JCCo).

William Davidson and Martha Baker left the Buckingham/Prince Edward Co., VA area and moved to Botetourt Co., VA by 1769. A living male Davidson descendant of their son Reverend Andrew Baker Davidson has just ordered his DNA test from Family Tree DNA, and we should have the results in about 5-8 weeks (and, presumably, it should "match" the other male Davidson donors who are already in DNA "Family 10"). Reverend Andrew Baker Davidson had brothers who were named Baker Davidson (married Elizabeth "Betsy" Womack; died fairly young by 1805), William Davidson, Junior (married a Jinny Davison from another/unrelated family; he was APPARENTLY was the Captain William Davidson who died in Botetourt Co., VA in 1829, but no "conrete proof") and Joseph Davidson (may have never married; died fairly young around 1814). I SUSPECT that the fourth (and oldest) brother of Reverend Andrew Baker Davidson was the David Davidson who was on the 1810 Campbell Co., VA census (per several clues), but I have no proof at this time that he was definitely the son of William Davidson (who left his Will in Botetourt in 1812, but unfortunately, he only identified one of his sons and one of his daughters by name) and Martha Baker (she died in 1829 in Botetourt, per a newspaper obit). I would love to find a living male Davidson who is out of that David Davidson in Campbell Co., VA and who would take the DNA test. Comments/questions?

Re: Reverend Andrew Baker Davidson ...DNA

Posted: 13 Nov 2012 3:33AM GMT
Surnames: Davidson Baker
BIG SURPRISE with this update...the DNA shows this line belongs to Family Group 16 at www.davidsongenes.org .

Posted: 17 Nov 2012 8:01PM GMT
Do you have the name of Mrs. Mary (Davidson) Walz's father? That is, which son of Rev. Andrew Baker Davidson was her father?

As stated elsewhere in this thread, it now seems that this Davidson family was part of DNA "Family 16" versus DNA "Family 10"....though there is no evidence that any member of DNA "Family 16" ever lived in the Prince Edward Co., VA area (where the Martha Baker who married William Davidson lived....and they were the parents of Reverend Andrew Baker Davidson).
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions